Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24v charger for ROK cordless drill - replacement part?

• 18-11-2010 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

Hi I have a decent drill, the battery, the battery housing, but I'm missing the plug & cable for the housing to actually charge the thing. I have found universal chargers in woodies and expert electrical but they only cover up to 12v. I have found some 24v chargers online but they all say they are laptop chargers, and the eBay seller won't sell it for use as a drill charger. Does anyone know where I can get a universal 24v charger, ideally with multiple connectors for various uses?

Here's a pic of an eBay laptop charger

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Kildafornia

Lads would a laptop charger do the job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Without knowing the charging voltage and current required how is any one supposed to know. Incorrect voltage/current could damage both the battery and the charger.

Go to some place that sells the same tool, pretend you're interested in buying and get at good look. Check out the specs for the charger, any charger that meet those specs should do. Anything else is at your own risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭zg3409

Hi,

I have what you need. I have a spare charger that will work with your drill. Send me a private message if interested. I live in Bray and work in Dun Laoghaire. I can post if required.

To answer your other questions.

Your battery has 3 connections. The third connection is for a temperature sensor. This is for checking that the battery is not overheating and going to explode. This is a safety feature on fast chargers. Also fast chargers will switch off when charged, laptop chargers don't, they rely on the laptop to have it's own electronics.

The "ROK" brand is woddies diy/atlantic homecare own brand. There is other makes that share the same charger. Drills labelled 67027C have a compatable charger.

However most batteries have a different connection to the battery. This is to stop one brands battery fitting in another brands drill. This allows brands to rip customers off on replacement batteries.

For example this drill:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/24v-Cordless-Drill-Driver-Hammer-Action-/270668675046?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item3f051c37e6

The charger will work perfectly with your drill but the batteries supplied with it won't exactly fit on your drill.

Anyway let me know if still interested.

Advertisement