Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a job in oz mines ,,myth????

Options
  • 18-11-2010 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

any one help get me a start our in any mines in OZ our is it a myth ..
    got f..ked around wit agencies even flew to perth 2 months ago for interview but job was gone when i landed...waste off 2grand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but i am still trying , some one surley knows some paddy high up a ladder in a mine to even point me in right direction i tried everything at this stage,i am qualified mechanic.have my oz driving licence and bank accounts still in oz..
    lived in oz in 2008 and used my 1 year visa, so looking sponsorship??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Don't think its a myth at all

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056054063

Having a valid visa is an advantage.

and getting sponsored is not as easy as most people imagine. What sort of mechanic are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 duggan83

LV mechanic for 10 years but have few years experience in plant machinery and agri machinery..
    i have tried everything even paid 3 agencies all turned out to be a scam,our just no job when i arrived .. i hear about all these paddys getting jobs and sponsored in the mines but i ve to wonder...!!!
    i would even accept a job as a driller on a land rig our something similar
    i recentley completed MIST AND BOSIET course to get a job on oilrigs but to no still no joy... how do i secure a job?????

i am thinking off flying back to perth just before xmas to try locate a job our try get some company to sponsor me .. dose any one have any companys name that would be worth a try and that have sponsored irish people before , i have a lot off tools and equipment i want to bring with me dont plan on coming back to this island any time soon!!!
    and i am 27 so i should be easy for a company to sponsor i think?????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I don't know any companies but was reading the paper in work yesterday and said there is a shortage of skilled workers in queensland and western oz for the mines. They thinkin of speeding up visas for these workers and cutting apprenticeships from four years to eighteen months. Keep trying.

duggan83 wrote: »
    i am thinking off flying back to perth just before xmas to try locate a job our try get some company to sponsor me .. dose any one have any companys name that would be worth a try and that have sponsored irish people before , i have a lot off tools and equipment i want to bring with me dont plan on coming back to this island any time soon!!!
    and i am 27 so i should be easy for a company to sponsor i think?????

I would rethink that one

Most business close down over xmas for 2 weeks to a month for annual summer holidays, you might be wasting your time.

Don't really think age has anything to do with making it easier for a company to sponsor... more to do with actual experience.

It is hard to get sponsored while on a WHV and about twice as hard to get sponsored while not. ( a lot to do with the employers mindset I think)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056077406

Also if you are coming over on a tourist visa you cant bring tools or you will probably end up on TV.

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I would rethink that one

Most business close down over xmas for 2 weeks to a month for annual summer holidays, you might be wasting your time.

Don't really think age has anything to do with making it easier for a company to sponsor... more to do with actual experience.

It is hard to get sponsored while on a WHV and about twice as hard to get sponsored while not. ( a lot to do with the employers mindset I think)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056077406

Also if you are coming over on a tourist visa you cant bring tools or you will probably end up on TV.

dose any one know off any company that has experience in hiring irish in the mines??
    also how many weeks dose it take from when an employer says he will sponsor ya to when ya can start work???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

The problem is that why would they go to the trouble of sponsoring an Irish person who isnt even in the country when they can simply hire an Australian?
    Sponsorship isnt free for the company and its usually only done to keep an existing valued worker whose visa has expired.

dose any one know off any company that has experience in hiring irish in the mines??
    also how many weeks dose it take from when an employer says he will sponsor ya to when ya can start work???

The application itself usually takes about 2-3 weeks from the time its lodged with immigration, but you need to allow at least a few weeks for all the Employer paper work to be done and sent to the agent.

Your paperwork can be done in one or two days but then your agent will have to arrange for you to have your medicals/X-Rays and the results forwarded.

At least a month to 6 weeks.

Like Jumpy says there is a cost likely to be between $3000-$3500.

Also a 457 can be onshore or offshore and you can get a bridging visa if coming from a WHV, not sure if they will issue you a bridging visa to 457 if you are there on a tourist visa. You might have to factor in a trip to New Zealand.

Jumpy wrote: »
    The problem is that why would they go to the trouble of sponsoring an Irish person who isnt even in the country when they can simply hire an Australian?
    Sponsorship isnt free for the company and its usually only done to keep an existing valued worker whose visa has expired.

The employer usually has to interview so many Citizen & PR first and only if none of those applicants are suitable then they can nominate for Sponsorship. Think they have to present this in the paperwork for the nomination.

Definitely going from a WHV to 457 is a far easier route for the employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Brndn

Sponsorship is getting harder to get seemingly because a lot of people are moving jobs once they get their 457 visa and employers are getting hesitant. My employer has recently stopped helping people with residency and is thinking about stopping sponsorships also.
    You probably should look to Leightons as they are after winning a huge project on Gorgon to kick off in the new year.

• Advertisement

Brndn wrote: »
    Sponsorship is getting harder to get seemingly because a lot of people are moving jobs once they get their 457 visa and employers are getting hesitant. My employer has recently stopped helping people with residency and is thinking about stopping sponsorships also.
    You probably should look to Leightons as they are after winning a huge project on Gorgon to kick off in the new year.

thanks for all the help, i have been in touch with my old boss in Airlie beach , OLD, he said he would sponsor me to work in his garage again , but money aint great just doing 8-5 for any mechanic,(900oz a week).
    any one know how long i would have to stay with him before i could look for work im the mines, ???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

thanks for all the help, i have been in touch with my old boss in Airlie beach , OLD, he said he would sponsor me to work in his garage again , but money aint great just doing 8-5 for any mechanic,(900oz a week).
    any one know how long i would have to stay with him before i could look for work im the mines, ???

5 years out of the last 9 no?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

if you are serious about ringing around the mines Dont botrher calling people in Perth or Sydney, the biggest concentrations of Mines in Australia are around

Blackwater QLD
    Cloncurry QLD
    Kalgoorlie WA
    Singleton NSW

Ok there are mines everywhere but thats the areas of most concentration, see if you can get chattin with someone, that might get you an in.

if you are serious about ringing around the mines Dont botrher calling people in Perth or Sydney, the biggest concentrations of Mines in Australia are around

Blackwater QLD
    Cloncurry QLD
    Kalgoorlie WA
    Singleton NSW

Ok there are mines everywhere but thats the areas of most concentration, see if you can get chattin with someone, that might get you an in.

been on the phone all morning , same sh"t as always , send in my CV and we will see what we can do !!! ill just keep ringing this week and see what happens !! ya think been Qualified as mechanic and qualified to work in the Oil and Gas industry i would get something !!!they cant be that much of a shortage off skilled people!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Gardner

lads some ****e been sprouted here!

im in port hedland in wa

unbelieveable the amount of work here for guys with trades!

forget about going to perth looking to be sponsored! go up north to Karratha, Port Hedland or Cape Lambert.

Mechanics
    http://www.seek.com.au/JobSearch?DateRange=31&Keywords=mechanics&Location=5054&SearchType=Refinement&Refinement=Location
    Fitters
    http://www.seek.com.au/JobSearch?DateRange=31&Keywords=fitters&location=5054&state=3107&SearchFrom=quickupper&SearchType=search+again
    carpenters
    http://www.seek.com.au/JobSearch?DateRange=31&Keywords=carpenter&location=5054&state=3107&SearchFrom=quickupper&SearchType=search+again
    electricans
    http://www.seek.com.au/JobSearch?DateRange=31&Keywords=electricians&location=5054&state=3107&SearchFrom=quickupper&SearchType=search%20again

dont email these guys from ireland, get your ass to perth, buy a cheap car, get yourself to hedland if needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 fastasfook

hi , i am trying to get a visa for australia but because i am 45 years young it is very hard, i am a qualifed carpenter and plant machine operator and i thought i would have no problems , but i have been told i will need to get a job offer or sponsered, now who is going to sponser someone that they dont even know. i would love to work around pilbara, port hedland,port lambert or karratha. i was told i should just get a flight from ireland and get to oz and start looking , i would have no problem in doing that but i cant look for work on a holiday visa and if caught i get kicked out of the country and as my girlfriend and kids want to move over that would finish that , so i am caught every way , aall i am looking for is some sort of advice , i dont want to know anything illegial, i was also thinking of joining the police in oz. anyway i hope i have not gone on too much and i would be very grateful for any bit of advice given.
    Thanks in advance fastasfook

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

spotted a few jobs on here might be some use to some of yee http://www.facebook.com/Perth.Jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

It is hard to get a start in the mines without minesite experience, even for the local lads. Yet there are always a lots of jobs going. Another way is like others said before heading to the mining towns where you could get work in a company that services the mining industry. Easier than to make the jump to the mines. And probably easier to find someone to sponsor you that way.

There are a few scammers on the net offering to help get you a job in the mines, for a few of course.

Advertisement