Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick retro thread

• 18-11-2010 2:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

How about a retro thread where people can list things they miss (and don't miss) about Limerick when they were growing up?
    One thing I miss was the old Carlton cinema. It was where I saw my first movie in a cinema, the film being "Santa Claus, The Movie". I was sad when they finally knocked it.

I also miss the World of Video and Games club that used to be in Shannon Street. I think it's a travel agents now. After college on friday I used to enjoy heading in there and renting out SNES games for the week. They used to have US import SNES games also although you needed a converter to play them.

The Vic club, I forget the name of the street it was on. Used to love blowing my pocket money on arcade games in there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭fudgez

I miss Java's when it was on Catherine street there was now where better to sit and look melancholic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

Quinns on Ellen st for saturday afternoon pints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I also miss the World of Video and Games club that used to be in Shannon Street. I think it's a travel agents now. After college on friday I used to enjoy heading in there and renting out SNES games for the week. They used to have US import SNES games also although you needed a converter to play them.

The Vic club, I forget the name of the street it was on. Used to love blowing my pocket money on arcade games in there.

Yeah good old wog, games were upstairs along with the the adult video section, already remember goig up there to get street fighter for the mega drive and they were showing the anna nicole smith playboy video. Spent 30 mins up there and limped out with no game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Quinns on Ellen st for saturday afternoon pints

Used to have great craic in there. Was a pub where you could go to in a bunch or alone, and you always found people in there you knew to have a laugh with.

Used to have some mighty slagging matches with Christy there. The Liverpool/Man Utd rivalry took place on a regular basis across the counter.:D

Javas was great too. Was a great chill out spot at any time of the day, and was a great spot to hang out after midnight.

Termites/Termights, in all of it's locations, was another spot that had some top moments. Have good memories of staggering out of the Savoy with my ears ringing, as I headed across to the Lobster Pot for some battered sausages and chips.

Tony's Music scene in the O'Connell Mall was another cool spot for the kid who loved metal and Punk. Was a home away from home when I spent summers in Limerick.

Boogie Wonderland in the Theatre Royal was always fun, and had a great atmosphere. Of course I have vague memories of the Royal when it was a cinema as well.

I can remember the Crescent Shopping centre being closed on Sundays and kids using the car park for games of footy or for cycling around.

Nestors sports store on O'Connell street, and a sports store in the Crescent shopping centre which may have been Nestors as well.

The 50's style diner at Punches Cross where the Peony court is now.

Chawkes Esso station at Punches cross and a tiny sweet shop where Edward street meets Punches cross which had great wine gums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

I remember the pink elephant on bedford row - went to my first concert there - status quo :D

The crescent too in the beginning - had a couple of the builders of it staying in ours - initially there used to be a square pool with a fountain in the middle of the centre too - that used to be fun!

woolworths on o'connell street with the pic -n- mix just inside the door

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

I know this is not anything retro, but can remember when people used to hang off the backs of buses and trucks for a lift, also when folk were allowed sit on the back of those truck like things small time rubbish removal guys have nowadays. Also when there used to be crowds of people down in the dump in the long pavement looking for stuff to take home that people threw out.

Also getting 10p for every lucozade bottle returned, and when I convinced the old man in the local shop that mr freeze's numbers 1,3,5,7,9 meant I won a free mr.freeze

And on another note the lazy long days of summer when it was always sunny, diving in to the outdoor Ennis Road swimming pool, What fun, picnics, ghetto Blasters, bits of breakdancing, the freedom of being able to do whatever you wanted in the swimming pool, before they brought in the urine colouring :pac: lol, (joking, or am I) then the walk home skinning apples from the Ardhu Ryan and behind Clifton House. Happy days man Happy days :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

LB6 wrote: »
    I remember the pink elephant on bedford row - went to my first concert there - status quo :D

The crescent too in the beginning - had a couple of the builders of it staying in ours - initially there used to be a square pool with a fountain in the middle of the centre too - that used to be fun!

woolworths on o'connell street with the pic -n- mix just inside the door

Totally forgot about Woolworths. I tend to think more of the O'Connell Mall that was built in it's place when I think of what that area used to look like.

The Pink Elephant is a good shout as well.

I can remember the water display in the Crescent as well. I think it lasted up until the start of the 90's and maybe a bit later than that.

Throw in the bowling alley with all the arcade machines when it first opened in the Savoy until it became a tracksuit hang out in it's later years

The toy section upsatirs in Roches stores was cool as a kid, and then it got moved to a seperate building on Sarsfield street.

The driving range in Dooradoyle is another spot that now has no signs that it ever existed as it is now part of the shopping centre car park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I remember the old Roches Stores toy section which was across the road from the main section on the other side of Sarsfield street. That and Smyth's in Henry street were my favourite places to go for NES games and WWF action figures.

I used to like thursday student nights Molly Malone's and Ma Hogan's pub which were right beside each other on Catherine street. PJ's place on Little Catherine st was a buzzing place on thursday night's as well but the drink in there was ****e:(

Ryan O'Neill's (formerly Alby Carroll's) in Edward street was a decent little pub at one time as well. I remember the Karaoke nights well in therewith the camp karaoke Queen himself Leo Shine. Haven't seen Leo in ages, I wonder is he still doing the karaoke. The place went down the ****ter though after one of the owners died and it came under new ownership, changing it's name to The Corner Bar. The new owner left all the Weston and Prospect heads into it and it didn't last long after that:(

I still miss the old shops in Carew Park. Eamon Cagney's where I spend a fortune on sweets and on the Robocop arcade machine, Harrison's shop & chipper and Walsh's little shop which was in a shed around one of the back alleys which also had Arcade machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Who remembers Spaights (where dunnes stores, Harveys Quay is) ?
    It was a Hardware shop...nothing exciting about that, but when you paid for something the assistant would put the money and an invoice into a little metal jar which was then attached to a wire cable.
    This cable (each department had one) was suspended above the shop and the jar was sent whizzing along it to the cash office.
    The cashier would take out the cash and invoice, replace them with your change and a receipt and send the jar flying back over to the assistant.
    When you're 7 years old you could spend hours watching this.

I also remember when Tayto's had the price printed on the bag. They stayed at the same price for ages so it was a big deal if there was an increase. I can remember the riots when they went from 2p to 3p.

Also the shops...Tots-To-Teens, Powers Small Profit Store (glorified pound shop ahead of it's time), Junior Explosion (in the Crescent).
    Does anybody else remember the shop on Bedford row that sold toys and (i think) sweets. It was on the right as you go up and was owned by a total nutter who drove a green vw beetle.

• Advertisement

OK going back further - anyone of you young whipper snappers remember Besco's - yes with a "B", was a grocery store where the Mall is at Guineys now.

Cannocks big black clock on O' Connell Street!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,274 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Anyone remember Feathery Burke's and the Shannon Shagging Arms night club up on Henry Street? You could get pi$$ed on £10 in there and then you were guaranteed a fight of some sorts.

Feathery Bourkes a Pound a bottle, and remember to carry it outside with you too.

Then the Henry Cecil for those of us under the age, or barred from tropics and the likes. There was always a bit of a stigma if you were drinking in the Henry Cecil, although saying that the actual pub itself was a nice place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

bazz26 wrote: »
    Anyone remember Feathery Burke's and the Shannon Shagging Arms night club up on Henry Street? You could get pi$$ed on £10 in there and then you were guaranteed a fight of some sorts.

That was just about closing in my late teens, didnt they have bottles for a pound or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

15 posts and not a mention of Burgerland on William street. Or the original Kranks Korner. I remember if we were really well behaved as kids, we could get a burger in Kranks.

Remember the old Crescent too, remember when there was nothing on Cruises St. Remember when Roches had a seperate toy shop where there are now vacant units.

Quinns was the first place where I saw 2 girls kiss :o The High Stool, the original Termights... So many good memories.

Bowling in the city centre, before it became knack-central. Seeing Jurassic Park in the Savoy. I know I'm not going back very far, but Limerick has changed so much!!

Forbidden planet.
    Sicifi heaven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

padma wrote: »
    Feathery Bourkes a Pound a bottle, and remember to carry it outside with you too.

Then the Henry Cecil for those of us under the age, or barred from tropics and the likes. There was always a bit of a stigma if you were drinking in the Henry Cecil, although saying that the actual pub itself was a nice place.

I worked in Tropics/The Forum. Anyone remember those weird roman statues in there? and getting served curry and rice upstairs was just odd. I hated cleaning up all that curry vomit afterwards btw. Thinking back some plastered young one emptied a bin full on female sanitary wares from the ladies loo onto the dancefloor once too................memories

LB6 wrote: »
    OK going back further - anyone of you young whipper snappers remember Besco's - yes with a "B", was a grocery store where the Mall is at Guineys now.

Cannocks big black clock on O' Connell Street!

:D

there was a wimpy's on o'connell st once i remember my uncle teling me

I worked in Tropics/The Forum. Anyone remember those weird roman statues in there? and getting served curry and rice upstairs was just odd. I hated cleaning up all that curry vomit afterwards btw. Thinking back some plastered young one emptied a bin full on female sanitary wares from the ladies loo onto the dancefloor once too................memories

Ah jaysus thats disgusting.......

Ya served curry?

phill106 wrote: »
    Ah jaysus thats disgusting.......

Ya served curry?

yep i put the powder in the chicken soup myself a few times even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

harrys!!! in dunnes by sarsfield bridge the food was sooo good

they used to do nice sandwiches and breakfast in there. not as nice as kranks' pizzas though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Who remembers Spaights (where dunnes stores, Harveys Quay is) ?
    It was a Hardware shop...nothing exciting about that, but when you paid for something the assistant would put the money and an invoice into a little metal jar which was then attached to a wire cable.
    This cable (each department had one) was suspended above the shop and the jar was sent whizzing along it to the cash office.
    The cashier would take out the cash and invoice, replace them with your change and a receipt and send the jar flying back over to the assistant.
    When you're 7 years old you could spend hours watching this.

I also remember when Tayto's had the price printed on the bag. They stayed at the same price for ages so it was a big deal if there was an increase. I can remember the riots when they went from 2p to 3p.

Also the shops...Tots-To-Teens, Powers Small Profit Store (glorified pound shop ahead of it's time), Junior Explosion (in the Crescent).
    Does anybody else remember the shop on Bedford row that sold toys and (i think) sweets. It was on the right as you go up and was owned by a total nutter who drove a green vw beetle.

God we're getting old :(.I remember all those. Im not from Limerick but I remember going in on Dec 8th for the Christmas outing..magical. Do you remember Ormistons??? Now Im really showing my age!! :D

Cruises Royal Hotel O' Connell Street - across from Penny's - used to be over 21's only to get in there

http://www.irish-showbands.com/images/halls/cruises.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

the bmx track over in pa healeys was savage

st marys old rugby clubhouse would be in the middle of a main road now

indoor soccer in the complex in corbally

when the sibin (downstairs in the royal george) used to be called "the glory hole", we used to show the bouncers our RSI cards to get in. most times we got into the george at about 7:55 because we knew the bouncers started at 8:00.

remember when you could head out for a night in town and actually walk home on your own without fear of getting mugged :(

playing pool in the vic

renting a megadrive from the video shop on johns st to play mortal combat

gigging in the royal george bar on friday nights

aaaahhh, the sibin, what a great place that was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

padma wrote: »
    And on another note the lazy long days of summer when it was always sunny, diving in to the outdoor Ennis Road swimming pool,

So it was you who was responsible for the floaters that used pop up from time to time?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭sleepyman

I know it's not the city centre but I grew up with Jim's shop on the north circular.The lane that was/is behind it seemed really long when you were 7 or 8 particularly before they built where the cloisters is now.
    Shame to see it boarded up now.I think a nice cafe or something could work there.
    Anyone remember the playground in Westfields?
    Timmy small in Ardscoil Ris-didn't believe the stories about him but seeing was believing!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

caspa307 wrote: »
    harrys!!! in dunnes by sarsfield bridge the food was sooo good

Ah I loved the Kiddies Corner :P I'd go in on a Friday evening with my mother after the shopping.

The Cake shop on little Gearld Griffin St... loved those pink & brown cakes. dunno what the name of them was.

Getting all your goodies in Mulannys shop before going to the Savoy cinema :)

The Upper Crust restaurant in Williams Court mall (only if you were very good mind ;))

• Advertisement

keith_d99 wrote: »
    So it was you who was responsible for the floaters that used pop up from time to time?!?!?

I do remember one day the lifeguard using his whistle and calling us all out of the pool, Everyone grumbling, all out, he grabs the big net and pulls in a whopper :pac: 2 tons more of chlorine and we were all back in again. I think everyone blamed one of the McCarthys.

Advertisement