Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick retro thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    Was it not called Five Star at some stage, first supermarket in Limerick?

Yep - became Five Star after Besco's and then Quinnsworth.....

Dodo with her dogs in the pram walking round the park - RIP.

Going down with the green shield stamps to the shop down in Patrick Street somewhere.

On a Saturday morning - queueing down outside Treacy's opposite St. Marys. Going in one door and out the other, and having that aroma of packet and tripe assail your nose for the duration. Coming home and having it for dinner. Still eat it today on the odd occasion.

Going to gigs in the basement of the Oldle Tom.

memories! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Hey remeber a station on limerick radio ages ago used do this stupid thing where they'd have a kid and they'd try and see who'd do the longest "breakfast shooooooow". feels like ages ago. Oh wait hey're still bloody doing it.

speaking of maddens milk, i remember the original gift shop, think it was down by the street where quinns was.

Fedury burkes i was there the night the guards raided it and it shut down later. Used be great up until summer then all the students went home and they started letting in people they turned away before. What really screwed them was when they opened the beer garden, there was nothing between ted castles and the back of burkes then, no appartments just an old coal yard. I worked in ted castles at the times and there's loads of young fellas hoping the wall in ted castles going up the yard and hopping the backwall in burkes into the garden and bypassing the bouncers. Thats when it went to crap.

Henry Cecil good old bojangles.

Feck i vaguely remember the original original jetland Dunnes there was a balcony and toys and stuff were upstairs.

Arthurs quay car park, on of the bumpiest car parks ever and there was a good chance your car would be broken into. sister was going to dunnes one time and young fellas showed up and said if she gave them omney they'd look after the car. My sister is tough out and bluffs saying "i know you, do you know such and such Mccarthy, well he's my cousin", young fellas gulped and said they'd keep an eye on the car for her for free. She came back an hour later and they were still there guarding the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Henry Cecil good old bojangles.

Hmm until that girl was shot in the head upstairs. Rather like the All blacks match everybody claimed to be there. What a frickin ****hole.

The yanks used to pour into the place because it looked Irish and cool but rarely hung around for very long. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Ma Reilly's pub in Parnell street. Used to have a good atmosphere in there despite the dodgy heads that used to go in there.

Anyone remember the Dew Drop inn on the Roxboro road across from the Jail Boreen entrance? Was one dodgy pub, I heard a fella glassed his girlfriend in there and the place closed down shortly afterwards.

The Galvone up in Southill. I remember the small section of it on the corner of the building, on the other corner was the chipper. There used to be some bang of stale grease from the chipper but they used to do lovely kebabs all the same.

The Pot Black up in the Roxboro shopping centre. Was full of vermin and knackers but that didn't stop me from spending all my 20c coins on the Street Fighter 2 machine and the King of Dragons (A Golden Axe clone) machine there.

I still remember Mass in the Holy Family church in Southill. After mass my Dad would drive up to the Munster Fair tavern via the Galvone Industrial estate road as the section of Childer's road from the Roxboro Roundabout to the Tipperary roundabout didn't exist at the time (Think it opened in 85 or 86). Mrs Moloney would give me a free bar of chocolate or a packet of Werther's original whilst I sat there bored waiting for my Dad to finish his pints.

I also remember Murphy's pub across from the barracks, was a good place for birthday parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Berty wrote: »
    My missus mentioned that last night but I forgot to mention it. There was a restaurant upstairs in there as well.

My mother used to take our tokens to the office in Dawn(???) on O'Callaghan Strand / Nr Circular Road and collect the crap. God, we drank a lot of milk back then.

I also remember in 1997 when I got a mobile phone / phone box and people laughed at me "what do you want one of those for?"

Somebody had to be first in the gang I guess.

very swanky...... the only thing we ever got off those tokens was white plastic jug kettle.

My dad threw a load of them out once and my mam went nuts over it. she was saving for a deck chair for a year..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭overthebridge

I remember many a night in the Theatre Royal, when it was ran as a dance/techno club. Think it was called the station ?
    Or Strictly Rythym in the Savoy..back when dance music was good !
    The Cairo was out in the Parkway bar which was another great spot, I think I still have some flyers in my mothers house.

I am surprised no one has mentioned McKnights or the 80's nights in tropics which were legendary :D

I remember going to an auction in the arthurs quay multi storey car park in the early 90's. It was a promotion ran by crazy prices (i think) and you got so many credits for what you spent in the shop. A few hundred people crammed into 1 floor of the car park bidding for junk !!

A few Corbally heads might remember skinning orchards in "the four walls" down the Mill Road and running back across the fields in behind o driscolls bar and stans shop at the time.

I remember the night the old complex in Corbally burnt down. That was sad day. The BMX track in behind it was a big loss too.

Last one... I remember going training with st marys underage and when we passed out cowheys bar down the sand mall we would stick our fingers into the barrels outside and let the flat beer and stout soak into the sleeves our jerseys and we would walk across the bridge sucking it out of sleeves.

Great thread BTW.....

I remember many a night in the Theatre Royal, when it was ran as a dance/techno club. Think it was called the station ?
    Or Strictly Rythym in the Savoy..back when dance music was good !
    The Cairo was out in the Parkway bar which was another great spot, I think I still have some flyers in my mothers house.

I am surprised no one has mentioned McKnights or the 80's nights in tropics which were legendary :D

I remember going to an auction in the arthurs quay multi storey car park in the early 90's. It was a promotion ran by crazy prices (i think) and you got so many credits for what you spent in the shop. A few hundred people crammed into 1 floor of the car park bidding for junk !!

A few Corbally heads might remember skinning orchards in "the four walls" down the Mill Road and running back across the fields in behind o driscolls bar and stans shop at the time.

I remember the night the old complex in Corbally burnt down. That was sad day. The BMX track in behind it was a big loss too.

Last one... I remember going training with st marys underage and when we passed out cowheys bar down the sand mall we would stick our fingers into the barrels outside and let the flat beer and stout soak into the sleeves our jerseys and we would walk across the bridge sucking it out of sleeves.

Great thread BTW.....

I met my missus in the Royal.

I cannot say that I have ever been in those fields behind drisolls and stans(stans eh, that take me back). How about the Jet petrol station at Shannon banks or worse still. How about when it was Boland & O'Reillys and they sold cars as well. My neighbour bought one and got it around 200 mtrs home where it never ever started again. :D

I remember The Complex. Do you remember why it burnt down? It was because a freakin truck somehow managed to drive passed St Marys, miss the turn for the bridge, pass the house, around the corner and crash into the building and caught fire..............................lost control. Yeah RIGHT!!

Remember when that frickin Grove Island roundabout was a T Junction. Didnt that work much better?

Anybody remember what was in the place of the Kings Island Link Road that heads passed the Absolute. That was a T junction before the bridge opened and there was a mechanics yard there.

Anybody remember when you could walk down river part(when the tide was out) of the King Johns Castle and climb in a hole in the wall which brought you out into the excavation site inside the castle walls. We frightened a few yanks one day sneaking in that way. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

This is a fantastic thread, I remember alright those Saturday afternoons in town as a nipper walking around doing the shopping and then in to the ranks, i think it was called, before they renamed it the still house. Just reading through these threads and something keeps popping up in our memories. The pub on those Sundays after Mass. Also in to the Grannys after Mass on Joseph Street and that cake shop that sold some sweets too, Think it became known in later years as Coppertops and you can still see the old sign there too.

Collecting milk tokens by the thousand, Duffle coats, when baggy jeans first came out.The Rave shop on wickham street. Good old McKnights, going up the lane to score in Buddys. The Lobster pot and friar tucks, So many memories.

Someone mentioned the night that woman was killed in the Cecil, Georgina O Donnell??? I was in the Cecil only 5 minutes before it happenened and decided to skip home rather than go upstairs to Bojangles. Was it called Bojangles? Or was that somewhere else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

oldclubs.jpg

• Advertisement

padma wrote: »
    Someone mentioned the night that woman was killed in the Cecil, Georgina O Donnell??? I was in the Cecil only 5 minutes before it happenened and decided to skip home rather than go upstairs to Bojangles. Was it called Bojangles? Or was that somewhere else?

Was bojangles for a while remember a concessio with that on it. Never went up to it myself, i was a docs or tropics person.

Was bojangles for a while remember a concessio with that on it. Never went up to it myself, i was a docs or tropics person.

Back then I was never able to get in to Docs, if it wasn't my shoes, it was because apparently I was too drunk, or a simple case of no, not tonight, if your names not down your not coming in, alright. Damn I just paid 100 pound on those tackies and you wont let me in, sigh!!!

Strictly rhythm was decent enough. The desmond arms, someone mentioned the niteclub Cheers, I think, that was good at times. For years I thought there must be some troublemaker in that town who looks like me, cos I was never in trouble or ever caused any mischief.

Remember that shop beside the taxi rank on shannon street, everyone squashed in, getting cigs, skins, and a bag o taytos.

Gosh I just remembered something, can anyone remember the time some young lad was killed outside friar tucks because he wouldn't give someone a bite of their burger? Around 89 or 90?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Berty wrote: »
    I cannot say that I have ever been in those fields behind drisolls and stans(stans eh, that take me back). How about the Jet petrol station at Shannon banks or worse still. How about when it was Boland & O'Reillys and they sold cars as well. My neighbour bought one and got it around 200 mtrs home where it never ever started again. :D

I remember The Complex. Do you remember why it burnt down? It was because a freakin truck somehow managed to drive passed St Marys, miss the turn for the bridge, pass the house, around the corner and crash into the building and caught fire..............................lost control. Yeah RIGHT!!

Remember when that frickin Grove Island roundabout was a T Junction. Didnt that work much better?

Anybody remember what was in the place of the Kings Island Link Road that heads passed the Absolute. That was a T junction before the bridge opened and there was a mechanics yard there.

Anybody remember when you could walk down river part(when the tide was out) of the King Johns Castle and climb in a hole in the wall which brought you out into the excavation site inside the castle walls. We frightened a few yanks one day sneaking in that way. :D

i remember going down to the complex the morning after it and seeing the transit van smoking...afaik the van was was robbed and set alight...

do you remember when the swamp in behind corbally road would freeze over in the winter and the whole of corbally would be skating on it.

yea the T junction by petrol station was a bottle neck alright !

wasn't st marys clubhouse in behind there, i think there was a few houses aswell ?? I know that where the traffic lights are now there was a lot of wasteland leading up to the credit union

padma wrote: »
    Gosh I just remembered something, can anyone remember the time some young lad was killed outside friar tucks because he wouldn't give someone a bite of their burger? Around 89 or 90?

Similar story about pat graces(chicken hut) in the early 80's.

Similar story about pat graces(chicken hut) in the early 80's.

yeah it was the chicken hut, pat grace's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

The Belltable had a Saturday morning Cinema Club - Think I saw Grizzly Adams there.

The Grumpy Bollócks in the O'Connell Mall that sold Guitars to the odd Person even though he despised all Humanity.

Mother India and the associated tales of rampant Prostitution.

Double Decker Buses in Limerick - each of which had the remains of a fire that never quite got going upstairs.

Drinking with the 40 year old Leopard Skin Lasses in the Desmond Arms cause the Bar Staff were happy to serve eight hopeful 16 year old Lads.

Going on the mitch to see Basic Instinct in the smoke-filled Carlton Cinema and then accidentally seeing every other Movie playing before leaving.

Drinking in the Regional Hospital Woods before getting the Bus into Quinns (The Lucky Lamp) - Other Passengers were never sure about the suspicious looking Lads emerging from the back of 5B into the Bus Queue.

Termites in Cruises Hotel (Before my time)

The VIP Club at the top of the Globe - playing pool while ossified til the small hours.

The St. Patricks day Parade when it was just 9,000 Scouts/Cubs/Girl Guides and 3 Sheds on a Truck.

Games of Snooker in the Vic where every minute played was a concern as the full budget was £5.80 between 5 of ye and you had to run out and check your accumulating fee on the green monitor screen every 4 minutes.

Supermacs when all of Limerick queued for food together, ate together and fought together after the night out.

Goldfish in bags at The Limerick Show in the old Racecourse near the Crescent.

When Todds used to have really cool window displays at Christmas time - before they got cheap.

Boogie Wonderland and The Theatre Royals floor where you never, ever fell over drunk cause the Carpet was too sticky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Have a vague memory of a Woolworths on William Street????
    Anyone confirm?

With a massive pick&mix section

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Not a very old one but I remember when The Works got a new carpet to replace the sticky one. They had an ad in the Post which said, "We've got a carpet of a surprise for you!" Shíttest ad ever.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Butter vouchers!! which our local shop exchanged for cigarettes :D

When the carnival came to the car park where Arthurs Quay park is now..

The Dog House pub on Thomas St.. jug of sex on the beach anyone? :P

Beat on the street in Perry Square

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The guy doing the Michael Jackson moves in the New Yorker club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

iguana wrote: »
    Not a very old one but I remember when The Works got a new carpet to replace the sticky one. They had an ad in the Post which said, "We've got a carpet of a surprise for you!" Shíttest ad ever.:confused:

Many a fight in The Works or was that Legions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Bring back the todds christmas display!
    Wonder is it in a cupboard somewhere in bt?

I'd love to go back to the 60/70's where the building at the baths were still there and didn't smell of piss because they were actually used.

Place a few bets, lodge the money into a long term savings account and come back here, withdraw it and buy the country. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jambo221

Raiser wrote: »
    The Grumpy Bollócks in the O'Connell Mall that sold Guitars to the odd Person even though he despised all Humanity.
    Oh yeah, that's where I got my first guitar nearly 10 years ago :D Wasn't there an broken escalator in there too? At least I never remember it working..

Don't have much memories of the city, though I remember when the Crescent was a lot smaller and darker. I also remember when they first brought in the touchscreen internet kiosks too, £1 for 10 minutes, pretty sure the screens got smashed within the first week.

Kudos to everyone for posting, fascinating stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

God, this is bringing back memories;

Dirty Dicks (after 2am when all other chippers were closed)

"Mary Tits" shop beside the bridge just after Munchins.

All the Libyan lads (trainee pilots i think) in town until one of them got murdered with a screwdriver....this was in the days of Miami Vice and they all wore pink,purple,green or yellow suits with the sleeves rolled up.

The Highway Restaurant...Open until 3am for those could still read a menu but were drunk enough to eat 1/2 a chicken etc.

When the detectives in henry st all got blue unmarked Ford Granadas and everybody pointed at the "unmarked" garda cars.

"Ruby's" downstairs in Cruises hotel.
    "The Basement" downstairs in the Glentworth.
    "Ted's" when Ted actually owned it.

The very first kebab shop in limerick...on Ellen St. and owned by two guys (Gerry was one) who were the only staff.

"The Pizza Cabin" on patrick st.

Disc parking introduced....10p a disc or a pound for a book of 10.

Wino's who just sat down on the footpath and giggled at you (not like the aggresive demanding f*%kers who have succeeded them).

Oh yeah, The Granary...before it became Doc's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

By the way, his name has been mentioned loads of times here but there really was a Feathery Bourke.
    He lived on the north circular road just opposite the JFK school. He lived in an old cottage and was well known around limerick as a bit of an eccentric.
    It was always rumoured (amongst us 8 year olds anyway) that he was a bit of a miser who had a fortune hidden away somewhere....the day after he died a couple of us went into his house and saw what looked like a huge safe in one of the rooms, due to our age this was as far as we got..would love to know if anybody got their hands on his millions. :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    "The Pizza Cabin" on patrick st.

Oh I remember this place! goorrrgeous ham & mushroom mmmmm.. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

great thread .....

the guy who made all the wicker baskets and furniture on Lower Gearld Griffin St

going up the bank as far as Sandy on the long glorious summer days, leaving at 9am on the BMX and not coming back until 10pm that night and no one was too worried about you .......

Santa in Todds ....

swimming in Corbally Baths and Shannon Fields .....

crying my eyes out as my favourite uncle got the Slatterys bus to London from Spaights, who would have thought those days would ever come back

later on Flossy, Scuthy and Sammy Sayers in CBS

paid for my first pints in the james joyce on ellen st

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,275 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Kandy Korner shop right across from CBS Sexton St, think it is a laundrette these days. And old man Karney's shop up around the corner on William Street past Shannon Furniture, where scores of CBS pupils robbed from him on a daily basis. Don't know how he ever made money. :)

Advertisement