Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick retro thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

bazz26 wrote: »
    Don't know how he ever made money. :)
    Probably a millionaire from selling single fags:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,274 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Don't think it is the same shop. The place that sold the single fags was a run down dump of a cottage. Karney's was further up the street close to where there is a newsagents now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The way they used to sell the Leader outside the Leader office

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Just had a flashback to the underage discos ran by the shannon rowing club out in the two mile inn. They used be jammers !
    The old shannon arms and the old glenthworth used to run underage discos on a sunday afternoon from 2-6pm. Happy days they were !!
    All we wanted was a cheeky smoke and a shift :p
    A quick walk out of town into stix for a stix special and home in time for where in the world ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

A quick walk out of town into stix for a stix special and home in time for where in the world ;)

He is still doing those chips with the "all purpose" seasoning. I stole his recipe many years ago and have a jar of it myself tucked away.

• Advertisement

Berty wrote: »
    He is still doing those chips with the "all purpose" seasoning. I stole his recipe many years ago and have a jar of it myself tucked away.

I must call in next time I'm passing...

Stix was great until the smoking ban. That killed the snooker upstairs. I spent many a school day in there playing pool and snooker on the go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

Just had a flashback to the underage discos ran by the shannon rowing club out in the two mile inn. They used be jammers !
    Poldarks???

The_Dave wrote: »
    Poldarks???

yea they were on in the poldarks venue...but were underage.
    i was a few years too late to go to the 18's version :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 cliokat

God this thread is making me feel old!!!!! Bringing back memories of

The toy kiosk in the cresent with the helium balloons and stuffed teddy bears
    Todd's Christmas display - with moving reindeers
    Running riot through Roches stores toy shop
    Feeling all grown-up as a teenager eating in Harry's cafe or coffee in javas
    Cimena and bowling in the savoy - and having to go to the danky screens on the other side of bedford row

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Ah well I remember the aul days of the Parkway shopping centre. Stealing pick n mix and skirting to the household section, under a display bed to gorge on a feast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

mitresize5 wrote: »
    great thread .....

the guy who made all the wicker baskets and furniture on Lower Gearld Griffin St

going up the bank as far as Sandy on the long glorious summer days, leaving at 9am on the BMX and not coming back until 10pm that night and no one was too worried about you .......

Santa in Todds ....

swimming in Corbally Baths and Shannon Fields .....

crying my eyes out as my favourite uncle got the Slatterys bus to London from Spaights, who would have thought those days would ever come back

later on Flossy, Scuthy and Sammy Sayers in CBS

paid for my first pints in the james joyce on ellen st

I met sammy sayers a few months ago. He still tlooks the very same and even dresses the same. He was one lovely guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭BobMc

Holy Crap some flashbacks to my youth on here, those where the days of underage drinking when all we used to drink was pints of lager, no fancy alco pops in those days and tis no wonder the youth of today are so nuts with the kinda of booze they drink,

anyone remember the ESB strike back in the 90's was in Docs Bar that night with a young lady having a few drinks by candlelight, used to cycle in from corbally all the time, locked the bike on belltable fence met the young one and off we went, Desmond during the weeknites, Doc's, Tropics etc on the weekends, the weeknites where a sneaky out the bedroom window jobby which of course ended when I was eventually caught, was safe to walk home to late at night plus couldn't afford a cab home

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

The hitchers? Ah remember so many nights going anywhere in the city for a gig.

The great thing is they have kept reforming for a one off gig at Christmas, although no date set yet for this year. . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

The hitchers? Ah remember so many nights going anywhere in the city for a gig.

The great thing is they have kept reforming for a one off gig at Christmas, although no date set yet for this year. . . .

i remember so many good nights plastered dancing to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

She broke my heart..so i ate her liver!

or

she's doing liberaci on the controls of the tv cause she knows noel edmunds on after the news

Loved the hitchers, think i must have some of the singles in the attic somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

From looking through the Limerick photos on the link provided, i remember going into town with my parents and parking in the motor garage on Henry st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Mc Love wrote: »
    From looking through the Limerick photos on the link provided, i remember going into town with my parents and parking in the motor garage on Henry st.

Heh i remember that one, bit of a kip, bumpiest car park ever and full of slippy oil stains. i remember missing the circus once because my nephew saw a puddle of oil in there and decented to jump in it and runied his white pants, by the time we got home for the pants to be changed and got back for the circus it was too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Mc Love wrote: »

I remember that too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,274 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Some will probably remember this too:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Was reminded of them in this thread earlier, some old bits of limerick in the vid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blackis200

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Who remembers Spaights (where dunnes stores, Harveys Quay is) ?
    It was a Hardware shop...nothing exciting about that, but when you paid for something the assistant would put the money and an invoice into a little metal jar which was then attached to a wire cable.
    This cable (each department had one) was suspended above the shop and the jar was sent whizzing along it to the cash office.
    The cashier would take out the cash and invoice, replace them with your change and a receipt and send the jar flying back over to the assistant.
    When you're 7 years old you could spend hours watching this.

I also remember when Tayto's had the price printed on the bag. They stayed at the same price for ages so it was a big deal if there was an increase. I can remember the riots when they went from 2p to 3p.

Also the shops...Tots-To-Teens, Powers Small Profit Store (glorified pound shop ahead of it's time), Junior Explosion (in the Crescent).
    Does anybody else remember the shop on Bedford row that sold toys and (i think) sweets. It was on the right as you go up and was owned by a total nutter who drove a green vw beetle.

The device in Speights was called a flying fox.

The_Dave wrote: »
    Poldarks???

The swimming pool under the floor of Poldarks.
    It's still there apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Kess73 wrote: »
    The 50's style diner at Punches Cross where the Peony court is now.
    The Hot Rock cafe. The name was quite funny, especially due to it's proximity to Weston.

The day Newsoms was destroyed by fire.
    It was burning for a week.

When Frankie's became Ivan's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Beeez

'Squire Mur' at the Glentworth Sunday afternoons , Frazers and Quiltys , Sat-Nite Shannon Rugby Club , Reddans , before they were busted for underage etc , Cycling out near Annacotty then carrying bikes across muddy fields , always worried about the dreaded Baliff , to some secret fishin spot on the Mulcair and cathchin fk all ! .....the Culvert out by Ardna , Parteen Pitch n' Putt ( still there ?...I dunno ) , Woodfield , Magnums..........etc and heaps of aforementioned spots.......excellent thread .

( been thinkin' about this thread a bit and a few more like Sullivans shop on opp side to Stix where we bought Cap guns Caps etc etc , McCauliffes shop Farronshone where we bought barley....for pea shooters , McMeels on Shelbourne Rd....10 Richmond for 20p or so...I think , oh ya and the LPYMA, before it burnt down and after )

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Persiancowboy

Just found this old thread..some great stuff on it. Here's my tuppence ha'penny worth:

The tannery on Catherdral Place where they skinned the animals...stank to high heavens every day of the week;
    Picking conkers in the grounds of St. Joseph's hospital (the Mental) on Mulgrave St (the Butlers used to live in the littel lodge near the Jail Boreen);
    Bimbos (Mr. O'Brien) very small and very dark shop next to Sexton's....single major for a penny plus a bag of pineapple chunks for tuppence....he was a tiny man and he had the biggest alsation I've ever seen in my life;
    Eating slabs of Cleeves Toffee from Enright's shop straight across from Sextons (and right next door to the old City Theatre)
    Horse Fairs, Circuses and Bird's Carnival up at the Fairgreen;
    Swimming at the Shannon Fields, Corbally baths and Sandy in Plassey (can't swim in any of these places now);
    Markets Field jammed packed on a sunday afternoon for league of Ireland matches;
    Climbing on to the wall of the Mental on way home from school tormenting the poor patients on other side;
    Patrick Street being totally derelict;
    The Dispensary at bottom of Lwr. Geraldgriffen St;
    Willy Manifold's sweet and comic shop near the Cathedral
    Clover Meats factory on mulgrave street....sheep and pigs being herded in there daily;
    Playing rugby for Richmond where Childer's road is now;
    Going to cinema at Savoy, Carlton, Lyric, Royal and Grand Central....all long gone from Limerick (like myself!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

Remember when you got the bus into town and people were allowed to smoke (seems so mad now)

Roches feeds on upper William st, where they made animal feed and you had to hold your breath while walking past it stank and was so dusty.

Before mobile phone when meeting a friend you'd meet at the Golden grill?

Outside Roches stores where all the mammies left their babies in buggy's outside while they went in for shopping.

When the circus came to the Fair Green field on Mulgrave st.

Does anyone remember the dark little shop on William st where a couple of old men and women would spin straw into baskets? I loved looking in , even then it looked to me like something from 100 years ago.

Packie's shop in Garryowen selling the liqurice pipes and all the best old sweets.

When a van drove into your area and stopped selling toffee apples, I actually hate toffee but still begged my mam for one cos all the other kids got one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

the bmx track over in pa healeys was savage

st marys old rugby clubhouse would be in the middle of a main road now

indoor soccer in the complex in corbally

when the sibin (downstairs in the royal george) used to be called "the glory hole", we used to show the bouncers our RSI cards to get in. most times we got into the george at about 7:55 because we knew the bouncers started at 8:00.

remember when you could head out for a night in town and actually walk home on your own without fear of getting mugged :(

playing pool in the vic

renting a megadrive from the video shop on johns st to play mortal combat

gigging in the royal george bar on friday nights

the good old glory hole was a mighty spot many a drunken night spend there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    2FM Beat-on-the-street in Arthurs quay park (was a car park back then).

Close Encounters night club at the Parkway...you went into a special dinig area to have your meal (all the clubs had to provide a meal back then, it was a condition of the late licence). And there was a phone on every table that could be used to ring any other table...WOW.

The Pink Elephant (Savoy) with head doorman Gary Murphy tossing guys out through the window when the door was just too far to drag them:D

Big L, the pirate radio station with their name over the door and a reception where you could drop in requests (Ellen street).

Walking (well, staggering) home over Sarsfield bridge at 1am and seeing 40 or 50 guys sitting on the bridge parapet.....no they weren't part of some suicide cult, they were fishing at high tide (something tidal anyway)

Oh yeah, remember when O'connell st. traffic went from 2 way to 1 way
    . Great craic flying up sarsfield st and taking a sharp right onto O'connell st with a passenger who expected cars to be coming down against us:)

some good memories close encounters with the phones we were spoilt back then :D and the pink elephant but I must have went on the quiet nights and missed the guys leaving by the windows... trying to remember a small pub up by station as you headed for prospect from station to traffic lights if you turned right it was on your left it has been knocked now and looks like empty offlce blocks our something was only in it once and an experience rough and ready barman was drinking as much as us it was after the lark in the park concert in the peoples park think the stunning were the headliners

Advertisement