Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battening down the hatches

Options
  • 18-11-2010 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

It's interesting to look out onto Cross Street/High Street/Quay Street and see all of the furniture and plants disappearing, and shops with shutters up in case of trouble, along with Gardai on ever corner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

...Why, what have I missed now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Some sort of protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

The student protest is due through the town around now.

It's not the students people are preparing for, though; it's the crowd of thugs who inevitably get into the legitimate group and cause the trouble.

I don't think they got the number they were hoping for; they all went past in under 2 minutes!! Only a couple of hundred marchers.

Glad to see that the expected trouble didn't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I was wondering what the noise was all about! It got me out of bed but by the time I got a shirt and pance on they'd moved on from where I am.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I thought this was going to be about preparing for a storm.

I take it it didn't cause much of an impact as I've heard nothing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

In the words of King Julian from Madagascar "They are just a bunch of pansies"

Maybe the majority had more sense than to whinge about not getting enough money after the 2 years of Rag week carnage in the city and last years first semmester destruction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

it took approx 20 seconds to pass by the post office. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭whatsyourquota

Just back from it now, they seemed to have marche ddown shop st and two seperate times presume there was a split between GMIT and NUIG. Good enough crowd around and no trouble at all as far as I could see. They said down at the Spanish arch there was about 1500, dont think it was quite that high though

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

Fey! wrote: »
    Glad to see that the expected trouble didn't happen.

there is one thing planning ahead but saying there was 'expected trouble'...just cos it happened in dublin and london doesn't mean it has to happen here too

what planet are you living on? i mean, its not berkley in the 60's. even the student elections are a load of rubbish...feck all people vote in these things. these people are simply not politically motivated

• Advertisement

there is one thing planning ahead but saying there was 'expected trouble'...just cos it happened in dublin and london doesn't mean it has to happen here too

When the Gardai warn business' to move any of their outside furniture and ornaments off both the streets the march was on and the streets adjacent to them, and have the public order unit in vans not too far away, then you can take it that trouble is expected.
    what planet are you living on? i mean, its not berkley in the 60's. even the student elections are a load of rubbish...feck all people vote in these things. these people are simply not politically motivated

If that's the case, why were there Dublin and London demonstrations in the past couple of weeks for you to refer to?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

All seemed very civilised from my vantage point looking onto the Spanish Arch at lunchtime.

Numbers looked very healthy, especially since it's Thursday lunchtime; about the time "3 and a half day weekers" board the bus back to some godforsaken backwater.

Advertisement