Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Company's rip off

• 18-11-2010 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

I have friends who are moving house,here in Castlebar, and they want to transfer the oil from their old house to their new house, I have phoned around asking about "Suck Out" as I did the same few years back, which cost me €40. They am now being quoted €100, they explained to me that it took 2 men now, but I remember one guy coming and dong it. I want to know what this other guy does, probably sits on his arse in the cab reading newspaper and listening to radio.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

the_pits wrote: »
    I have friends who are moving house,here in Castlebar, and they want to transfer the oil from their old house to their new house, I have phoned around asking about "Suck Out" as I did the same few years back, which cost me €40. They am now being quoted €100, they explained to me that it took 2 men now, but I remember one guy coming and dong it. I want to know what this other guy does, probably sits on his arse in the cab reading newspaper and listening to radio.:mad:

So you reckon €40 is enough for a man with a truck to travel to a residential address, use his expensive equipment to drain an oil tank (hopefully with no spillage). Drive his truck to another residential address and reverse the operation (without any spillage hopefully) .... depending on the distance between the two locations this could cost the guts of your price on diesel for the truck alone.

€100 for this sort of work seems like a fair price .... people in business don't buy/lease expensive trucks and machinery to do work for nothing !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I expect they're taking the lightbulbs as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

whippet wrote: »
    So you reckon €40 is enough for a man with a truck to travel to a residential address, use his expensive equipment to drain an oil tank (hopefully with no spillage). Drive his truck to another residential address and reverse the operation (without any spillage hopefully)
    You'd be lucky to get a taximan to transport a can of oil for that price depending on distance (a mate of mine did actually used to get taximen to buy and deliver stuff to him).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

jeez, I know there's a recession, but expecting someone to drive to a premises, do a job, drive to another premises, complete the job & then drive home, and all the while using his equipment, van and own fuel in transporting and you want to pay €40!!!???

Ask yourself this question - would you do it for this amount of money??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

100 quid for that sounds like a bargain to me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

There was a post over in AH called "The stingiest thing you seen someone do" if I was not banned from AH I would post this over there.

Unwritten common decency rules where rent a property with oil is involved, full tank moving in for the tenents and they leave a full tank when moving out.

Our family has a house which is located in a very rural location up a high bohereen road, no oil lorry can deliver oil there. However we get the oil company to fill some oil barrels when they fill up they fill up at home. It is an easy matter to tow them up to the house in question then with the van and hook the trailer onto the tractor for the difficult part.

I have a drill powered pump with some garden hose attached. I got on eBay for less than a tenner and it empties the barrels into the tank in about 15 mins. Two or three barrels fills the tank as we always keep it filled.

The time and the effort having done this ourselves makes the €100 seem actually cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

100 quid sounds reasonable

After all , your oil could also contaminate his tanker , he has no idea whats in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Davidth88 wrote: »
    100 quid sounds reasonable

After all , your oil could also contaminate his tanker , he has no idea whats in there

I've heard that as the main reason for their not wanting to do it.

The only time that an oil retailer emptied a tank for nothing, that I know of, was a couple of months ago. He filled an oil tank outside a new house for a builder, but then discovered that he might not get paid, so went back and emptied it.

Advertisement