Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound problems - Faulty motherboard?

Options
  • 18-11-2010 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

Hi guys,

A few months ago I bought an EVGA P55 FTW on adverts, and when I built the computer and plugged my speakers in the back (2 satellites and one subwoofer), there was no sound through the left speaker. You only plug in the one cable for the sub and then that splits up the sound for the 2 smaller speakers.

So I plugged it into the headphone jack at the front of the computer instead and it worked fine that way for months. Now this week the sound is gone in the left speaker even when plugged into the headphone jack on the computer. I know the problem is not with the speakers as I've plugged my ipod into it and the music plays fine through all the speakers. Does anyone have any advice as to how I can solve my problem?

15mzgqb.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

i recommend u try setting up your speakers in, control panel -> realtec HD audio manager and mess around with the settings. start with plugging your speakers into the correct jack sockets on your mobo and not the headphone jack socket. after plugging them in see if it auto detects, if it doesnt reboot and try the control panel -> realtec HD audio manager

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

Thanks, I'll give that a try when I have some spare time this evening. My gut feeling is however that it's a hardware problem, but I'll reply later to let you know anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

That's a tidy build!

Thanks for the comment on the tidy build, I also sprayed the insides with BBQ paint so the finish is a little odd... but its good up to 500 degrees C! As to the other device, I don't have the realtek audio manager, but I think that varies upon what hardware you have. Nevertheless I went into the audio device properties and started messing around.

I moved the balance all the way over to the left, and still nothing, moved it to the right and it's coming out the right speaker fine. Here's a screenshot of what the setup looked like....

2s12dma.jpg

Actually I've thought of a solution. I forgot my Radeon 5850 has a hdmi output, so I plugged that into the monitor instead of the DVI and the sound works through that now, so that's a solution... but I've to get another hdmi cable now for my brothers playstation, oh well!

Let me know if you think of any ideas for solutions anyway :)

And thanks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

I don't have the realtek audio manager

Audio coming through one channel fine and not the other usually points to an incorrect setting somewhere. The windows interface to the realtek drivers is pretty limited so try reinstalling the drivers so you can use the audio manager and trouble shoot through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Audio coming through one channel fine and not the other usually points to an incorrect setting somewhere. The windows interface to the realtek drivers is pretty limited so try reinstalling the drivers so you can use the audio manager and trouble shoot through that.

This,
    and also no harm in checking if your chipset drivers are upto date.

Advertisement