Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Conversion for GAA club

Options
  • 18-11-2010 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

We are a GAA club looking to convert the attic to use as a small gym or weights-room. The clubhouse is a single-storey building with a footprint of approx. 400 sq. metres (this is also the floor area of the attic) with a pitched roof. Essentially, the building is like a big detached house but as it is a GAA club, it is considered a commercial building.

Can anyone tell me where the fire & building regulations that would need to be met by us for an attic conversion could be found? Also, do you need planning permission for an attic conversion?

Is it the county council that we need to approach about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Can anyone tell me where the fire & building regulations that would need to be met by us for an attic conversion could be found?
    http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,1640,en.pdf
    The fire regulations are pretty complex so you will need hire a consultant to apply for a fire safety certificate for you.
    You can't start work until the certificate is issued. Depending on the layout you will need one or two protected escape stairways.
    You will also need to apply for a Disability Access Certificate
    Also, do you need planning permission for an attic conversion?
    Yes, again the same consultant can take care of that for you. Takes minimum 12 weeks.
    Not really necessary, unless you want to have preliminary discussions with them before you hire someone

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

chip81 wrote: »
    We are a GAA club looking to convert the attic to use as a small gym or weights-room. The clubhouse is a single-storey building with a footprint of approx. 400 sq. metres (this is also the floor area of the attic) with a pitched roof. Essentially, the building is like a big detached house but as it is a GAA club, it is considered a commercial building.

Can anyone tell me where the fire & building regulations that would need to be met by us for an attic conversion could be found? Also, do you need planning permission for an attic conversion?

The building would be classed as a sports/community hall and not commercial.

As advised by Jimbo you will need planning permission and a fire cert. You also need a professional to look at the structural strength of the floor to see if its capable of sustaining the additional loading from the gym equipment and weights.

You should initially contact a local reputable, architect/engineer/technician with a view to preparing a planning application and a fire cert application.

The good news is that you will be exempt from planning application fees but Im not sure if this applies when making an application for a fire cert. Someone may be able to clarify this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

muffler wrote: »
    The building would be classed as a sports/community hall and not commercial.

As advised by Jimbo you will need planning permission and a fire cert. You also need a professional to look at the structural strength of the floor to see if its capable of sustaining the additional loading from the gym equipment and weights.

You should initially contact a local reputable, architect/engineer/technician with a view to preparing a planning application and a fire cert application.

The good news is that you will be exempt from planning application fees but Im not sure if this applies when making an application for a fire cert. Someone may be able to clarify this point.
    Yes, the same applies for the fire cert application fee, and you should be able to make a case for weiving the DAC application fee of €800 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Jimbo wrote: »

Not really necessary, unless you want to have preliminary discussions with them before you hire someone

Just in case the OP was asking about the PP. I'll mention that the permission is applied for through the local council (you're in dublin, correct)

Structural Engineer is a must. The existing structure is never to be adequete imo, and if I was the Arch Tech involved in the job, i'd strong advice lookign at a separate building, the cost won't be much different as putting in a new structure is a huge job. (I assume that there is adequete land around the site.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 chip81

Thanks for the replies and information.

Looks like I need to get on to the consultants so.

@mellor,
    We're in the Fingal County Council catchment area. The floor of the attic (and first floor ceiling obviously) is slab concrete. Would this be sufficient to bear the load in your opinion? and would this change your opinion on extending the building rather than converting the attic? we do have enough land for an extension if needed however.

• Advertisement

chip81 wrote: »
    The floor of the attic (and first floor ceiling obviously) is slab concrete. Would this be sufficient to bear the load in your opinion? and would this change your opinion on extending the building rather than converting the attic? we do have enough land for an extension if needed however.
    From the forum charter:
    1.5 Structural items . Issues relating to the specification of structural components is prohibited. Any queries in this regard need to be dealt with by an architect/engineer privately.

Get some on-site structural advice from your consultants and make your decision based on that advice.

Also, please read the forum charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There is no way to say, get an engineer to look at it, if he thinkgs the load is ok, then i'd go with that. As long a some who draws it up thinks the space is suitable.
    But if it need a new structure, then i'd lean towards a new build

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 chip81

Thanks again.

I have only recently started using boards.ie so forgive the mistake. I will have a read of the forum charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Jimbo wrote: »
    You can't start work until the certificate is issued.

Doesnt the new 7 day notice allow you to start work once fire cert application is submitted.

mickdw wrote: »
    Doesnt the new 7 day notice allow you to start work once fire cert application is submitted.

It does mickdw, but the risk you run is that the Fire Officer will ask for changes to works already carried out, thus costing twice for some works. It is hard enough to get clients to pay once for works...:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement