Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting from Swords (by car)

Options
  • 18-11-2010 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone's doing this at the moment?

Thinking of moving back to Swords out of res after Xmas (because it's a nightmare!) and wondering how other people are managing with the commute??

Unfortunately can't take a new lease nearby cos I've <4months after Xmas!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

There are a few options.

Coming from the M1 north, you could go through Drumcondra, turn left at Clonliffe Road and head for the East Link Bridge (toll of around 1.70 I think), then take the coast road. You cross the DART Line, turn left, and then turn right further up the road (Woodbine Road I think, I'm not sure). You will end up at the bridge over the N11 - just cross it and go into the campus. Not sure what traffic would be like.

If you wanted to avoid the toll, you could go through the city, and cross the Liffey near the IFSC (I think?), but traffic could be busy.

There's always the option of going around the M50 and turning off at Sandyford, but again this has a toll of €3 (€2 if you get one of those fancy video accounts I think!)

When I drove from Dundalk to UCD, it was a Sunday and it was off-peak time so I used the Port Tunnel and the East Link (€3 + €1.70) and it got me there exceptionally fast - 55 minutes from Dundalk to UCD, obeying all speed limits. But the Port Tunnel isn't a viable option as it's expensive, and is €10 at peak times :eek:

I hardly ever do this commute so I haven't a clue of the actual traffic situations and whatnot. I have done all three of the routes above with my parents (including going through the city), but these mainly were on the weekend so traffic wasn't that heavy.

What problems are you having in Res? Chances are you might be able to get them sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

jenga-jen wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone's doing this at the moment?

Thinking of moving back to Swords out of res after Xmas (because it's a nightmare!) and wondering how other people are managing with the commute??

Unfortunately can't take a new lease nearby cos I've <4months after Xmas!

I live in Swords. I get the 43 into town (you can also get the 41 and the 142 which brings you through the port tunnel and is very good if you want to get in on time for 9:00am). Then I get the 46A or 39A (if its last stop isn't at Ungar Street) out to UCD. It takes about 1h 15 minutes on average during rush hour and a little less than that between 10 and 11. The 41X brings you directly from Swords to Belfield and is quite quick but it doesn't come that often. Btw, how did you get offered a place in the Res, are you originally from Swords or elsewhere?

Another note;
    It's cheaper to get the bus than to drive, you'll be spending €15.70 a week for a 5-day rambler in comparison to the fortune you would spend on petrol.

I think the travel can be quite annoying sometimes but I put up with it, nonetheless, I wish I was sharing a nice little place near UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I live in Swords. I get the 43 into town (you can also get the 41 and the 142 which brings you through the port tunnel and is very good if you want to get in on time for 9:00am). Then I get the 46A or 39A (if its last stop isn't at Ungar Street) out to UCD. It takes about 1h 15 minutes on average during rush hour and a little less than that between 10 and 11. The 41X brings you directly from Swords to Belfield and is quite quick but it doesn't come that often. Btw, how did you get offered a place in the Res, are you originally from Swords or elsewhere?

Another note;
    It's cheaper to get the bus than to drive, you'll be spending €15.70 a week for a 5-day rambler in comparison to the fortune you would spend on petrol.

I think the travel can be quite annoying sometimes but I put up with it, nonetheless, I wish I was sharing a nice little place near UCD.

I do this too. It can be done in 45 mins (my record :)) if you get the swords express (€3 off peak - if you're going at peak times, as in to be there for 9am, I'd get the 41x).

I'd definitely get the bus rather than drive, I'd say its faster to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭YouthNovel

Bus
    I'm heading to and from Swords every day.

41x is great cause it's direct, once you're on, no swapping, handy.
    They go between 7.25 and 7.50 leaving from the Manor or River Valley.

Evening 5.00/5.15/5.30 Should be more frequent, its really frustrating sometimes if you're in after 5.30.

If it's not the 41x its 46a/39a and whatever bus to swords from town. Swords Express is OK if you live near the bus stop but unfortunately I don't.

Driving
    I'm hoping to be driving over before the year is out, and to be honest, I don't care paying that bit more for petrol if you have the comfort of your own car and the leeway to stay in a bit later to study or things with socs if needed.

Coast Road in the morning time is a bad idea, no matter what way you go. It's one lane, at rush hour, come on!

I've gotten a lift once or twice, and having gone through town, it takes just about an hour. Coming across at either Samuel Beckett Bridge, or the bridge at the customs house quay (IFSC) part, then heading down by the AVIVA is good. Coming out then just at the bus depot near Donnybrook, then in the back entrance by the Sports Center.

Dublin Bus really gets on me tits some days, when all you want is a bit of heating, or not walking in the feckin rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Guys we should all get together and have a bus-beers or something. You know the cans of Dutch Gold at the back of the 42 and the like. This week the 42, next week the 41X, the week after that the 142. It'll be great!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

42 goes to malahide bro', no malahiders allowed at swords bus beers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Does the 32X still go from Malahide to UCD?

(And I'm so coming to swords bus beers)

Advertisement