Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rodent Control

• 18-11-2010 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Want to get a cat (or 2) to keep the rats and mice at bay, what do i need to know, already have a dog who gets on with cats

Are they good to live outside, are they alright around kids

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Your best bet is to contact a rescue, they will be able to tell you everything you need to know and help you home the right cat for you. There are lots of different cats out there that would be suitable for your situation.

Last Hope in Meath (http://www.lasthope.ie/) and the DSPCA (http://www.dspca.ie/) both have plenty of cats that need homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

my cats are superb hunters, but many are not. If this is the only reason you want a cat don't do it, it's not fair.
    It's also not fair to keep them outside all winter, they will need a warm place to sleep and some human company and love. If you want a pet that also hunts, female cats are usually better. My cats kill and eat mice, but only take baby rats not adults. Be prepared to find mouse heads and guts on your doorstep, and the odd songbird as well:(
    You still need to feed your cat properly, and regular worming is crucial if your pet hunts.
    Mine do a great job - at least two mice every night, and they eat almost every bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

i have 3 cats and a house full of mice running around the place. will catch the mice outside and leave them on my door step but as for the ones inside they wont touch them. must think their part of the family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

It can be hit and miss. I have three cats here, but only one of them catches rats/mice/birds/ anything that moves. Also, leaving them out full time might be a bit much, especially over winter. They do need upkeep, food, somewhere warm to sleep, inoculations against disease and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Have a look at adopting feral cats that most other people would overlook. I agree with others though in that you will need a warm garage/shed for them if you plan on keeping them outside all the time, it's not fair on them otherwise. And if you do adopt an adult you'l need somewhere to keep them confined for at least a few days so that they know this is now home.
    Most cats ignore kids especially young kids that run towards them screaming kitty with their hands outstretched. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

why not a small dog and companion for your other dog? A russell, border or plummer terrier? All accomplished rodent catching breeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

sligopark wrote: »
    why not a small dog and companion for your other dog? A russell, border or plummer terrier? All accomplished rodent catching breeds.
    +1 As far as I know cats don't go at ratting with as much gusto as a terrier (but then, I'm biased). You'll still wind up with half eaten rodents left around though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

sligopark wrote: »

You beat me to it.. Our wee russet is a determined and eager mouser; we now have a large hole in the partition wall here to prove that.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leshogan

All replies much appreiciated, waiting on ISPCA to get bank with a cat, he/she will be well looked after

Advertisement