Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom External smtp server port 25 now blocked?

• 18-11-2010 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Since last night all my various external email accounts are failing to send using their own smtp servers that have worked for years. Port 25 seems to now be blocked except for the mail1.eircom.net one.

I could use that and sending works but also have laptop that I use elsewhere and in that case would have to reset to the external mail server to work when away and back again when home.

Eircom support helpful but no solutions. They say they do not block port 25 for external mail servers but no reason why now not working since last night. Tested with telnet and only their own one is open.. also it is not firewall related, fully tested that.

Tested with vodafone mobile broadband and all works as usual there.

Anyone else noticed a change? Could be just a glitch I guess.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

I think that this blocking seems to come and go even if Eircom deny that anything is going on. If you want peace then just switch everything to mail1.eircom.net for mail servers at least.

For laptops/PC's, your e-mail provider can probably let you use a different outbound port (generally 587) and this normally works then for all ISP's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Galway Print

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping there would be an answer that avoided shifting all my accounts to the eircom outgoing server but maybe not, unless it is temp.

I have quite a few and also setup email for new clients when I have designed a new website and always works using the domain name server settings, which avoids finding the isp settings for whatever their own providor is.

Hope it is just a glitch else I can see a deluge of phone calls as I guess quite a lot of clients are using eircom. I will look into other ports as you suggest, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping there would be an answer that avoided shifting all my accounts to the eircom outgoing server but maybe not, unless it is temp.

It's definitely not a glitch. Vodafone have done the same too. If you want to use port 25 for outbound e-mail, you'll have to use your ISP's server ot the phone will ring. It's pretty standard for most ISP's these days.

Which hosting provider are the e-mail accounts mostly with? Port 587 definitely works with Blacknight anyway and is the one that should probably be used in future for all outbound SMTP from laptops/PC's if your provider supports it. Gmail and Google Apps can use 465.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Galway Print

Yes, going to have to look at this carefully. I have two vps systems plus an older shared hosting account for earlier clients. Tested adding an alternative port to listen on within one vps WHM to 587 and that works through eircom ok.

Would have to change all clients settings but might be the only way. Older shared account with webworld so would have to ask them about those ones.

The vodafone mobile broadband allows port 25 just fine by the way

Advertisement