Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need dell vostro 200 power supply

Options
  • 18-11-2010 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Got a vostro 200 desktop with steady amber light on startup and fan running at high, nothing else happens (ie no beeps, nothing on monitor, etc)

Best I can tell is that PSU is faulty, looked on ebay but only seem to be in USA, does anyone know where I can get one in Ireland?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 vectra04

are you sure the power supply is faulty?would be more inclined to think cpu or motherboard, have you tried reseating the ram?

Could also be the graphics card

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭frost

thanx for that quick reply vectra04,

i reseated RAM and removed/replaced all internal leads. tried a different external power lead, tried with no peripherals attached, tried with RAM removed. there isnt a separate video card, just the onboard one so i couldnt pull that.

a week or so ago this was only an intermittent problem, so i managed to do a full dell hardware diagnostic when it was working. of course it turned up nothing ;-)

is there any way to narrow down the component at fault? dell has very little useful info

Had the same problem with a desktop. turned out to be the graphics card, sorry i can't think of anything else.

thanks anyway vectra.

...anyone know a good, reasonably-priced pc person in or near wicklow town?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

definitely sounds like the PSU, the amber light usually means its the PSU and i'd say its the psu fan going mental as well?

any idea who might sell a compatible power supply in ireland?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVFjkCcl48WHLr_bHUpLgri3zVRtC74wP9PV_DnJZ6PyZR48E2

[Embedded Image Removed]

BIG OR SMALL ONE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVFjkCcl48WHLr_bHUpLgri3zVRtC74wP9PV_DnJZ6PyZR48E2

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJxmldj5HK1uHI5NjjOWM5aGtfyhYaIe-eEM_afowLMJQREW3o

BIG OR SMALL ONE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

amber light definately indicates either a psu issue, or a mobo one. god damn those dells! ruined my summer :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement