Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oasis

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

A fan mailed Owen Morris with some fascinating info and anecdotes provided by him.

Mustique demos are.
    D’you know what I mean
    My big mouth
    My sister lover
    Stand by me
    I hope I think I know
    The girl in the dirty shirt
    Don’t go Away
    Fade In-Out
    Stay young
    Angel child
    The fame
    All around the world
    It’s getting better man!!

. Was Shakermaker remixed from the demo for the album version? When did Liam re-record the "I'd like to buy the world a Coke" line?

Don't know if it was "the demo", but it was certainly a Mark Coyle and band recording made quickly that they all liked. They had a mixed version of it ready to go into production as the next single after Supersonic, but after I mixed Rock n Roll Star and Columbia, Marcus (on behalf of Noel, I guess) asked me to re-mix Shakermaker.
    Liam re-recorded the 3rd verse in Johnny Marrs home studio. (when was the mastering? end April, beginning May 1994???) It was where I'd mastered Def Maybe.....and it was a couple of weeks after the mastering that we were told that the third verse had to be changed....for obvious publishing reasons. Liam and Noel turned up one morning, Noel had new words, I recorded Liam singing over an instrumental mix I'm put down of Shakermaker. He honestly sang it in one take. I matched the vocal level up with the rest of the mix (though the vocal sound changes slightly)....and edited just that verse into the album production master.

2. Any info about the recording and mixing of the Live Forever b-sides Cloudburst and Up in the Sky (acoustic).

Nothing to do with me those two
    >
    > Morning Glory
    >
    3. Is the clip of Noel singing Morning Glory at the start of Acquiesce from a demo of that song, or was it specially recorded for Acquiesce?

I gotta think about this. Noel played me acoustic versions of tunes like Morning Glory on the Some Might say/Acquiese session. But as far as I can remember, it was probably on a pass through the tape hone I was setting Noel up to either do his vocals or play tambourine.....and he would've sang/played that little snippet of Morning Glory as a cheeky reference, specifically to get fans like you asking about it in later years. We'd have listened back to it, laughed at it, and Noel would've said to leave it on.
    >
    4. Did Noel record a demo of Wonderwall, from when it was called Wishing Stone? Noel mentions the song's working title in the video below and I wondered if he ever referred to a recording of it in that form during the Rockfield sessions.

Never heard that version myself. I only heard Wonderwall in Rockfield studios a day or two before we recorded it.
    >
    5. Is there a version of Don't Look Back In Anger with Liam on vocals? Nick Brine recalls that there was an early version. The only other reference I could find to this was in an old edition of MOJO... would appreciate your insight on this!

I was there on the session. Liam absolutely did not sing DLBIA at any point. Noel sat him down and played him Wonderwall and DLBIA and asked which one Liam would prefer to sing....in the knowledge that Noel WAS going to sing the one Liam decided NOT to sing. Liam chose Wonderwall. Liam, at no stage, went in the studio and sang DLBIA. Nick Brines memory is incorrect, but he could've been setting up mics or making the tea, while Noel, Liam and myself were working out the next few days recording plans.
    >
    > Noel on DLBIA... 'When I gave [Liam] Don't Look Back in Anger he's singing,
    > 'But don't back in anger, not today.' I'm saying, 'It's don't _look_ back in
    > anger. 'He's saying, 'Well, that's not what's ****in' written 'ere, chief''
    > Surprisingly, this exchange did not lead to the usual fraternal punch-up but
    > served as confirmation to Noel of his dyslexia.' (From MOJO, December 1997,
    > p. 64)

I have no knowledge of this exchange. Noel first played the song at Sheffield a week or three before the Rockfield sessions started.......it is my guess that he tried Liam out singing the song then.....and gave it up as a bad job.
    >
    6. How did the radio tuning noises idea come about for the title track? Were they added in at the mixing stage?
    >
    Noel wanted radio noises etc. We plugged a radio in while mixing the track and he fiddled with the dial. Probably took five minutes at most.
    >
    > Be here Now
    > 7.Did the Mustique demo tape contain the song Slow? Any more info on this or any other unreleased tracks from this demo tape would be great.

I've got the full, in order track listing somewhere. I'll dig it out for you.

8. Do you remember anything about the unreleased Oasis song The Red, White and blue? Any details would be great. It's mentioned briefly in Paolo Hewitt's book Getting High as being from around this period, but doesn't say if it was ever recorded.
    >
    I didn't record it.......but I hope I think I know......NG was unsure about the "I hope I think I know" up until the last (his alternate line was going to be O A S I S ......)....possibly red white and blue was an earlier option.........But I really don't know so don't take what I'm saying with any authority.

9. Did Liam ever record a take of the b-sides Going Nowhere and flashbax?

No.......I don't remember Flashbax! Liam was going to do backing vocals on Going Nowhere, but for some stupid reason, the talk back between the control room and Liam in the studio was on permanently (it was my last Oasis session....)....it was in Blurs studio at Matrix.......and Liam overheard me and Noel making some singer jokes, as one did, at Liams expense......stupid really........and Liam clocked it and walked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Ordered the super deluxe boxset, for my sins. I'd be letting myself down, with a name like mine, if I had The Stone Roses boxset and not the Definitely Maybe one! I only live for boards.ie cred!

For those thinking of ordering, do your dealings in sterling as the exchange rate they give you for euro is terrible. I got charged three euro less when ordering the deluxe set and the cassette in sterling than I would have been for just ordering the deluxe box in euro.

It's cheaper to order it on Amazon granted, but then you don't get the 12" Whatever single.

"Put a roach in it, turn the f**kin' light off!"

Ordered the super deluxe boxset, for my sins. I'd be letting myself down, with a name like mine, if I had The Stone Roses boxset and not the Definitely Maybe one! I only live for boards.ie cred!

For those thinking of ordering, do your dealings in sterling as the exchange rate they give you for euro is terrible. I got charged three euro less when ordering the deluxe set and the cassette in sterling than I would have been for just ordering the deluxe box in euro.

It's cheaper to order it on Amazon granted, but then you don't get the 12" Whatever single.

"Put a roach in it, turn the f**kin' light off!"

I'll order the super deluxe of the other releases but that album doesn't mean much to me anymore.

Temaz wrote: »
    I'll order the super deluxe of the other releases but that album doesn't mean much to me anymore.

Yeah I'm really looking forward to Be Here Now. Noel and Owen Morris seem to be in agreement, even if Liam isn't, that it was a woefully produced album. I really like it, granted, but it'll be interesting to see what they can do with it.

Having said all that, I would possibly say MG is my favoutite album of the three, so I imagine that it's going to be an expensive summer for me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

You and me both! As if I haven't spent enough money on Oasis f(*£ing boxsets already.... :)

blastman wrote: »
    You and me both! As if I haven't spent enough money on Oasis f(*£ing boxsets already.... :)

The vinyl box set cost me a bomb!

Temaz wrote: »
    The vinyl box set cost me a bomb!

Yep, I waited until it was sold out and then paid over the odds as well, although not too much, I don't think. I saw one recently on Ebay, the seller was looking for £1,100 for it!! They do seem to go reasonably regularly for £300-£350, mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Yeah I'm really looking forward to Be Here Now. Noel and Owen Morris seem to be in agreement, even if Liam isn't, that it was a woefully produced album. I really like it, granted, but it'll be interesting to see what they can do with it.

If its just being remastered, it'll sound more or less the same, only louder and with a little bit more fidelity.

If they are *remixing* it however, that's a different matter. They may do a 'stripped down' remix as a bonus disc, but I would imagine Noel would want input on that, and how involved is he in this project?

If its just being remastered, it'll sound more or less the same, only louder and with a little bit more fidelity.

If they are *remixing* it however, that's a different matter. They may do a 'stripped down' remix as a bonus disc, but I would imagine Noel would want input on that, and how involved is he in this project?

Even a remaster would be great, in terms of improving the production of the sound. The dynamic range of BHN on CD was awful.

We might get some properly remixed songs, but I imagine that Noel is too busy with his new album, and far too lazy in general to partake in such work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

That's a really interesting site, I've been checking out a load of albums to see what the dynamic range is like!

Its interesting that a few albums like "Pod" by the Breeders, "Rid Of Me" by PJ Harvey, and Shellac's first album are all very high - 14 - and all were produced by Steve Albini.

Be Here Now is only 5 and Def Maybe 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Acoustic 'She's Electric' demo is streaming. Noel sounds so young.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Listrydude

So, Oasis are tip[ped toreunite and headline Glastonbury, according to the online papers. I would love to see it. Strong rumours that Bonehead would come back. Would love it if they did a few shows focusing on the old stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Listrydude wrote: »
    So, Oasis are tip[ped toreunite and headline Glastonbury, according to the online papers. I would love to see it. Strong rumours that Bonehead would come back. Would love it if they did a few shows focusing on the old stuff!

Can't see it happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Until I see an official statement confirming a new tour I won't believe it. All it takes is for Liam to start tweeting a few letters and all of a sudden the media have them booked in for Glastonbury. It's not happening until it is!

Until I see an official statement confirming a new tour I won't believe it. All it takes is for Liam to start tweeting a few letters and all of a sudden the media have them booked in for Glastonbury. It's not happening until it is!

Even then, there's a good chance it mightn't be! :)

• Advertisement

I don't see why Noel would bother releasing a solo album, which he'll be promoing and touring, if he knew he was going to be starting an Oasis tour during the summer. It ain't gonna happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Noel's touring until 2016 at least. The rest of the lads are probably doing nothing since beady eye bit the dust but I can't see it happening unless there's something we don't know about, like they've been offered an obscene amount of money to do it. Noel doesn't even like playing at glasto.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I hope they don't do it, I'd prefer Noel to concentrate on his solo career. They'll obviously come back at some point for a big tour but to be honest I wouldn't be too pushed about them ever recording material together as a band again.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭DylanAFC

If/when they reunite it won't be at Glastonbury. They'll do their own show.

An Oasis song written pre Noel, it was the only one he kept when he took over The Rain.

Stone Roses feel to it, Liam's vocals obviously influenced by Ian Brown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

That's a really interesting site, I've been checking out a load of albums to see what the dynamic range is like!

Its interesting that a few albums like "Pod" by the Breeders, "Rid Of Me" by PJ Harvey, and Shellac's first album are all very high - 14 - and all were produced by Steve Albini.

Be Here Now is only 5 and Def Maybe 7.

The reason for the good DR on Pod, Rid Of Me, At Action Park - they were all released just before the loudness wars.

The best sounding CDs were released between 1982 and 1993.

Would anyone agree with me that Born On A Different Cloud is one of the better tunes that Liam penned. I've had the Heathen Chemistry CD going in the car recently and that track has really started to grow on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭allap

Noels one of the best British song writers of all time in my opinion. Written some classics. Great melodies. Timeless.

Supersonic. What a great track to start the bands career. Still fresh now

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Redlingerie

Oasis are the best... band to ever release an album called Definitely Maybe.

Would anyone agree with me that Born On A Different Cloud is one of the better tunes that Liam penned. I've had the Heathen Chemistry CD going in the car recently and that track has really started to grow on me.

Bad production cursed that album. BOADC was an absolute monster live but timid on the album. Same goes for The Hindu Times, Hung in....

The bootlegs from the HC tour are essential listening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Oasis are the best... band to ever release an album called Definitely Maybe.

Recycling a 5 year old post in the same thread? The top level of music reviewers are out in force.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

heres a tune ;)

Some of the best B-sides ever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

Don't you love when you turn the car radio on and an absolute TUNE is on!! Gets me so hyped at 5am :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

allap wrote: »
    Some of the best B-sides ever

Yesterday I made a follow-up to The Masterplan and stuck it on my iTunes.

Don't Go Away
    01 Cloudburst
    02 Round Are Way
    03 Step Out
    04 The Fame
    05 My Sister Lover
    06 (I Got) The Fever
    07 Flashbax
    08 Let's All Make Believe
    09 It's Better People
    10 D'Yer Wanna Be A Spaceman
    11 Take Me Away
    12 One Way Road
    13 As Long As They've Cigarettes In Hell
    14 Idler's Dream

and a bonus disc
    01 I Will Believe (Live)
    02 Alive (Demo)
    03 Angel Child (Demo)
    04 Sad Song
    05 Bonehead's Bank Holiday
    06 Fade Away (War Child Version)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Liams new tune.

Love them. Love Noels solo stuff too

Liam opened up in a interview with the Guardian and he disclosed he's suffering from this disease.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashimoto%27s_thyroiditis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

Saganist wrote: »
    Liams new tune.

Was so so the first time i heard it, bit gotta say it's a banging tune after a few listens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

They really were the first band to make a impression on my young mind back in the 90's. Still think their first three albums (yes Be Here Now included) including B-sides are still amazing even today, they lost the plot a little after that but you could make a very good double album from their best stuff during those lean years. The band were never the same when they lost Bonehead and Guigsy imo, Gem and Andy looked cooler and were better musicians but they just felt like hired hands.

Love Noel's solo stuff, liked what I heard so far of Liam's solo stuff and his singing has got back on track too which is great.

Chinatown is dividing opinion but I like it after one listen. Audio stream here but it could be taken down so get on it quick.

http://www.popload.com.br/liam-gallagher-nao-esta-para-brincadeira-acabou-de-vazar-seu-otimo-novo-single-chinatown/

Chinatown is dividing opinion but I like it after one listen. Audio stream here but it could be taken down so get on it quick.

http://www.popload.com.br/liam-gallagher-nao-esta-para-brincadeira-acabou-de-vazar-seu-otimo-novo-single-chinatown/

Official video

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

Anybody seen the ad on TV flogging Noel's new album - it's hilarious.

They have the obligatory 5 star reviews in captions under snips from a music video. See if you can spot the odd one out here.
    Q wrote:
    His Best Record In More Than A Decade. 4 Stars

The Sun wrote:
    ...Perhaps His Best Ever. 4.5 Stars

A Dried Up Oasis Of Dross. 1 Star

The song accompanying the ad sounds awful, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Noels new song is utter gash

When Noel went solo it was disappointing that he didn't have the balls to step outside his safe genre of soft rock/pop, unlike Damon albarn, who took all his solo projects well away from the blur days, to great success

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Oasis the best band in the last 20 years? :confused: I suppose it might appear to be for those who have a narrow musical taste.

I still like the odd song Morning Glory and Supersonic are great tunes but a full album of samey open chord ballads wouldn't appeal to me now. Their success did impact some of the actually genuinely talented British bands of the 90's whose records sound just as good today.

NG 1996:

"I don't think music shud be clever, or avant-guard, artistic. I hate art in music. all this pompous art rock like Sonic Youth and all that. Sticking guitars in dustbins and, you know, playing them with screwdrivers and that. I mean **** art, let's rock."

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Irish_rat wrote: »
    NG 1996:

"I don't think music shud be clever, or avant-guard, artistic. I hate art in music. all this pompous art rock like Sonic Youth and all that. Sticking guitars in dustbins and, you know, playing them with screwdrivers and that. I mean **** art, let's rock."

Another reason to dislike Noel Gallagher.

The 2 solo albums, the best of, Morning Glory and Definitely Maybe all in the top 55 of the UK album chart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Irish_rat wrote: »
    NG 1996:

Hmm - Seems one of his heros John Lennon would disagree with him.

His composition ,Tomorrow never knows , was inspired by techniques from musique concrète, avant-garde composition, and electro-acoustic sound manipulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

The irony of Noel's statement is that Sonic Youth still rocked harder than Oasis ever did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭piplip87

Noels new Album is pure ****. Would love to see him go solo properly. Just him and an acoustic guitar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I think that it's a wonderful album & I really admire him for trying something new. It's easily my favourite & will be for some time.

Oh & yes I was a big Oasis fan :)

The irony of Noel's statement is that Sonic Youth still rocked harder than Oasis ever did.

+1

• Advertisement
Advertisement