Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oasis

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

stovelid wrote: »
    I think once you've heard the first two albums (which I loved) you've heard it all. Oasis kinda summed up the spirit of those times and it was about a certain attitude and sound but not something that lends itself to innovation and change.

Ah sure the Masterplan is as good as those two and as much as it gets insane amounts of stick Be Here Now is now suffering from the exact opposite it suffered from when it came out. Ridiculous over appreciation has morphed into ridiculous under appreciation. The MTV unplugged album is great as well

Also, it's hard not to say they changed anything when "doing an Oasis" is considered to be a band trying to release an album full of anthems ala Coldplay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

lordgoat wrote: »
    No. Either you don't understand the concept or you are ignoring it.

How many number one singles have they had from their albums when they were released first? I can think of 2 (i think).

JS Bach has sold a fair few records as well.

I understand your concept, there are just gaping holes in your logic. Oasis have had number one singles (in the UK). I just don't see how the UK singles charts, which are based on attracting 8 year old girls into buying something, are the be all and end when it comes to the definition of the "pop" genre. Surely ACDC have sold more albums and that would make them more popular.

I don't lump Oasis, KOL and Westlife into the same genre and if you do then I think we can agree to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

I love Oasis.

Still can't understand how much some people hate them. I've read through this thread, and the pointless arguments in it are pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

I love Oasis.

Still can't understand how much some people hate them. I've read through this thread, and the pointless arguments in it are pathetic.

I know, its mind boggling. Oasis seem to be hated by alot of people! And for what? Being rock and roll steehhhhharrs of course! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Ah sure the Masterplan is as good as those two and as much as it gets insane amounts of stick Be Here Now is now suffering from the exact opposite it suffered from when it came out. Ridiculous over appreciation has morphed into ridiculous under appreciation. The MTV unplugged album is great as well

Also, it's hard not to say they changed anything when "doing an Oasis" is considered to be a band trying to release an album full of anthems ala Coldplay

I do actually like TM but the first two are the ones for me and I hated Be Here Now. To be fair, these kinds of discussions will always be subjective and obviously rightly so as we're discussing music. As for disliking them: not at all although Liam comes across as an annoying wannabe casual. On the other hand, I would buy a magazine or paper purely on the basis of Noel being interviewed in it as I find him hilarious and an interesting guy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It's really quite simple - they have a different opinion to you. I'm sure there are many acts whom you don't like - and I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate people telling you it's unreasonable for you to hold such opinions when you can't help how you feel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 KeepOnRunning

Malice_ wrote: »
    He didn't insult you. He pointed out that the post was an oxymoron like dwarf mountain, virtual reality or arguable fact. That's not an insult at all.

Also, on that note, in case you're unaware of its existence, please use the Report Post icon report.gif if you're unhappy with a post so that moderators and category moderators are made aware of it. That is far better than dragging a thread off-topic.

Well a certain lordgoat is known for dragging people into an argument and then when it gets heated, dishes insults but when others repsond to him in a similar manner, banned! Clear abuse of power

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Dudess wrote: »
    It's really quite simple - they have a different opinion to you. I'm sure there are many acts whom you don't like - and I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate people telling you it's unreasonable for you to hold such opinions when you can't help how you feel.

Aye. Agree fully.

Musical opinions - everyones got them biggrin.gif

For the record, I don't think that Oasis are "the best".

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Well a certain lordgoat is known for dragging people into an argument and then when it gets heated, dishes insults but when others repsond to him in a similar manner, banned! Clear abuse of power

1) If you have a problem with a post report it.

2) Where have i insulted anyone in this thread. I want a answer to this question.

3) There was a decent discussion on this thread i pointed out it had run it course for me and was going around in circles.

4) i'm not a mod on this forum, so i'm just a regular poster. How can i abuse power i don't have here. In any of the forums i do mod, please point out where i have banned anyone for what you accuse me of. Again I want examples of this. If you have a problem with a mod follow the DRP.

5) You're talking sh-ite.

6) An oxymoron is a form of paradox.

/apologies to the mods of Music for having to read with this on thread.

Hmmm i think i need to get the boss to have a look at something interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

lordgoat's post has pretty much said what I was going to say on this. I would request that you provide me with clear examples of him abusing his power by private message and I will review. Just in case you don't know about it, this is what lordgoat means by the DRP.

Lastly, this goes for everyone, not just KeepOnRunning - please don't drag this thread further off-topic.

• Advertisement

Malice_ wrote: »
    lordgoat's post has pretty much said what I was going to say on this. I would request that you provide me with clear examples of him abusing his power by private message and I will review. Just in case you don't know about it, this is what lordgoat means by the DRP.

Lastly, this goes for everyone, not just KeepOnRunning - please don't drag this thread further off-topic.

Exactly, now where were we? Oh yes, OASIS RULE ;):D.

Pete Doherty summed up Oasis brilliantly. This qoute was filmed by MTV when he was like 16, in line for an Oasis album, before he was famous and before he knew what drugs were:

"I believe that Noel is a poet, and Liam a town crier, and in my opinion, thats always the perfect combination."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Oasis are a great big dumb rock'n'roll band. Sometimes that's enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Oasis are a band who had two great albums at the start, and started to release watered down versions of those albums from then on in.

Their next best album seems to be The Masterplan, which was made up of B-sides to the singles from those two albums. That pretty much says it all really.

As for calling him a poet, he has admitted his songs don't mean anything
    when I'm halfway through 'Don't Look Back in Anger' I say to myself. 'I still don't know what these words mean!'

reprazant wrote: »
    watered down versions

NME are looking for staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

reprazant wrote: »
    Oasis are a band who had two great albums at the start, and started to release watered down versions of those albums from then on in.

Their next best album seems to be The Masterplan, which was made up of B-sides to the singles from those two albums. That pretty much says it all really.

Fair play to you for continuing to buy the albums though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

[QUOTE=reprazant;69301453

They have a lot of songs that also have a 'meaning'

It's up to the listener to find meaning in the song. The writer doesn't have to explicitly explain exactly what he was thinking and what he intended the lyric to mean when he wrote it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

Some tunes are random nonsense as Noel himself admits on the Def Maybe DVD. Stuff like Supersonic and Shakermaker, but tracks like

Gas Panic
    Where Did It All Go Wrong
    Solve My Mystery
    Hey Now
    Cast No Shadow
    Let There Be Love
    Sad Song
    Talk Tonight
    Mucky Fingers
    Part of The Queue

All those have a 'meaning' and theres lots more.

Shakermaker has some meaning behind it, its still nonsense mind you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Fair play to anyone who stuck with them. I gave up in the late nineties and any oasis song I've heard since haven't changed my mind (listened to most their newer stuff once or twice before giving up on it, too tedious and dull). 2 really good records and some decent b sides to go along with them.

• Advertisement

It's up to the listener to find meaning in the song. The writer doesn't have to explicitly explain exactly what he was thinking and what he intended the lyric to mean when he wrote it.

Digsy's Dinner has real depth and meaning....

.....:D

Live4Ever wrote: »
    Digsy's Dinner has real depth and meaning....

.....:D

I have become a fan of lasaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagne since I heard it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Rock songs don't need depth and meaning IMO.

Sure, Oasis have written a fair few songs with a bit of an undercurrent or depth to them, but who really cares?

If its a good song, makes you want to sing along and play it again when its finished, I couldn't care less if its complete rhyming dribbles or if its a proclamation signed in conjunction with the Dali Lama's blessing to save the world.

IMO bands that try to put too much meaning into songs turn out sh1te. Play the damn music, stop trying to save the world.

On the [studio] album thing, sure DM & WTSMG were very good albums, but Be Here Now is excellent also.

I've not been a huge fan of their last few albums, I think really since Gem took over on rhythm / lead guitar they changed a lot.

Bonehead was a big dumb rhythm guitarist, and suited their style perfectly. Gem tries to be too clever and retro, or 'mod' or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭drumdrum

End of the day, regardless or whether their music is "meaningful" etc, I enjoy listening to them....and thats the important thing at the end of the day!

Quality band IMHO! :D

drumdrum wrote: »
    End of the day, regardless or whether their music is "meaningful" etc, I enjoy listening to them....and thats the important thing at the end of the day!

Quality band IMHO! :D

Well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Fishy123

Quite simple put, they're the greatest band to ever grace the earth and we are the lucky f*c*e*s that have had the chance to witness one of the greatest bands on Earth.
    As for song meanings, some songs have insanely deep meaning to them and it's up to the listener to interpret this to whatever he feels is the true meaning. It's not up to Noel or Liam to go explain every single song. Fair enough some of the songs are meaningless but lets be honest they're still better than the crap thats out at the minute.

Let's be honest the breakup can be good for Oasis, it was clear Noel was being uptight to put it nicely with the group, he wanted a solo career and fair enough he got it. Lets hope his album is good which it will be, the breakup is going to be good to let em give it a rest for a while, Be Here Now was the last fantastic album and I'm not taking anything away from the other 4 that came out after they too were serious tunage but they obviously need the break from Oasis to get back to that.

Bring on the reunion tour in about 15 years, its already been 2 years.
    Beady Eye are going to dominate, the songs suit Liam's voice and the album is better than the last 2 or 3 Oasis albums by miles, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

"People don't want to get their logarithm tables out when listening to music" - Mani on the beauty of Oasis. Nuff said.

And before anyone comes back, I like Radiohead and intelligent music/lyrics as much as the next man. But there's more than enough room for roaring tunes of the like that Oasis put out, arms around mate, screaming the lyrics, losing it for 2 hours at a gig and forgetting about everything else. Music over the last 17 years would have been far far duller without them. Also I think Noel, until recently at least, tended to hide his more introspective songs as b-sides.

How can anyone listen to this anyway and say his songs don't have emotional depth?

niallo24 wrote: »
    Ah But there's more than enough room for roaring tunes of the like that Oasis put out, arms around mate, screaming the lyrics, losing it for 2 hours at a gig and forgetting about everything else. Music over the last 17 years would have been far far duller without them.

Hit the nail on the head their mate! 90,000 tickets sold for Slane, something like 100,000 - 110,000 were actually at the gig. Fcuking whopper day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Fishy123

Looking at the Knebworth gig in '96. Holy s**t

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1zCwu5Dw-A

Well that just proves that this thread was correct :

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Fishy123 wrote: »
    Quite simple put, they're the greatest band to ever grace the earth and we are the lucky f*c*e*s that have had the chance to witness one of the greatest bands on Earth.
    In your opinion.

I find them turgid - I like the first two albums, don't like anything since... the usual. And that's MY opinion. Couldn't care less whether the lyrics have meaning or depth or not, or that the songs are straightforward, non experimental rock - the same applied to their early stuff and I liked that.

I must start a thread on how much I love The Smiths and anyone who doesn't is a fucking trolling prick!

Advertisement