Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oasis

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Dudess wrote: »

I must start a thread on how much I love The Smiths and anyone who doesn't is a fucking trolling prick!

You've posted the same thing in three threads now, build a ****ing bridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

niallo24 wrote: »
    How can anyone listen to this anyway and say his songs don't have emotional depth?

I reckon the version he did of that at the Cabret Sauvage was better again, great song.

Has anyone heard of these lads, the Outs of Outland? AFAIK, there just two young lads from Brazil but the singer has got Liams voice, he's unreal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Kgrant1

tommyhaas wrote: »
    I reckon the version he did of that at the Cabret Sauvage was better again, great song.

Has anyone heard of these lads, the Outs of Outland? AFAIK, there just two young lads from Brazil but the singer has got Liams voice, he's unreal

that's unreal to hear that voice coming out of that body!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

That is so close to Liam's voice it's scary.. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Kgrant1

wouldnt expect that when the lad sits down first!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

article-1209826-06384066000005DC-322_468x286.jpg

Lets be haaving ya!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

^^ Liam pulls his "flapping bird taking a dump" pose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

A Chemical Brothers remix of Live Forever has gotten some radio play in the UK so it kind of confirms we will get an anniversary edition of Definitely Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Oh goody!

Is that available on Youtube, or somewhere similar?

Oh goody!

Is that available on Youtube, or somewhere similar?

It's circulating on fan communities so won't be long before it's on YT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Temaz wrote: »
    It's circulating on fan communities so won't be long before it's on YT.

Here you go..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Here it is, just a load of ancient hip hop samples before it turns into the normal song....I'd be embarrassed if this makes it onto a re-release of DM

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9wfvh1

Edit: you beat me to it, NM

haha, thats absolute bollóx in my book!

They already did the Definitely Maybe anniversary thing for 10 years, might be a bit overkill now. Wouldn't mind some stuff for Morning Glory next year though

haha, thats absolute bollóx in my book!

They already did the Definitely Maybe anniversary thing for 10 years, might be a bit overkill now. Wouldn't mind some stuff for Morning Glory next year though

Apparently there's a Wonderwall remix in the vaults by them.

I think we'll get remasters of both albums this year and next. I'd be more interested in the Morning Glory demo's as there are countless DM demo's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

So it looks like there is going to be a remastered version of Definitely Maybe being announced tomorrow, released on May 19.

Also Owen Morris popped into the Live4Ever forums and he said he has re-mastered Morning Glory and Be Here Now as well!

http://live4ever.proboards.com/user/30935/recent

The tracklisting for the three-disc Special Edition re-issue of 'Definitely Maybe' is as follows:

Disc 1

1. 'Rock'n'Roll Star'
    2. 'Shakermaker'
    3. 'Live Forever'
    4. 'Up In The Sky'
    5. 'Columbia'
    6. 'Supersonic'
    7. 'Bring It On Down'
    8. 'Cigarettes & Alcohol'
    9. 'Digsy's Dinner'
    10. 'Slide Away'
    11. 'Married With Children'

Disc 2

1. 'Columbia' (White Label Demo)
    2. 'Cigarettes & Alcohol' (Demo)
    3. 'Sad Song'
    4. 'I Will Believe' (Live)
    5. 'Take Me Away'
    6. 'Alive' (Demo)
    7. 'D'Yer Wanna Be A Spaceman?'
    8. 'Supersonic' (Live)
    9. 'Up In The Sky' (Acoustic)
    10. 'Cloudburst'
    11. 'Fade Away'
    12. 'Listen Up'
    13. 'I Am The Walrus' (Live Glasgow Cathouse June 1994)
    14. 'Whatever'
    15. '(It's Good) To Be Free'
    16. 'Half The World Away'

Disc 3

1. 'Supersonic' (Live At Glasgow Tramshed)
    2. 'Rock'N'Roll Star' (Demo)
    3. 'Shakermaker' (Live Paris in-store)
    4. 'Columbia' (Eden Studios Mix)
    5. 'Cloudburst' (Demo)
    6. 'Strange Thing' (Demo)
    7. 'Live Forever' (Live Paris in-store)
    8. 'Cigarettes & Alcohol' (Live At Manchester Academy)
    9. 'D'Yer Wanna Be A Spaceman?' (Live At Manchester Academy)
    10.'Fade Away' (Demo)
    11. 'Take Me Away' (Live At Manchester Academy)
    12. 'Sad Song' (Live At Manchester Academy)
    13. 'Half The World Away' (Live, Tokyo hotel room)
    14. 'Digsy's Dinner' (Live, Paris in-store)
    15. 'Married With Children' (Demo)
    16. 'Up In The Sky' (Live Paris in-store)
    17. 'Whatever' (Strings)

The tracklisting for the 'Original 1993 Demos', meanwhile, is as follows:

Side One

'Cloudburst'
    'Columbia'
    'D'Yer Wanna Be A Spaceman?'
    'Strange Thing'

Side Two

'Bring It On Down'
    'Married With Children'
    'Fade Away'
    'Rock'N'Roll Sta
    r
    Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/oasis/75722#ob92GIMkaB3Zd1D5.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Will be very excited to hear A-grade quality versions of the DM demos after listening to such tinny bootleg versions over the years!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Can anyone see where you can order the Demos cassette on Oasisinet? It was supposed to be relaunched this morning but it doesn't look to have happened yet...

blastman wrote: »
    Can anyone see where you can order the Demos cassette on Oasisinet? It was supposed to be relaunched this morning but it doesn't look to have happened yet...

Should be working. It's 10 pound sterling and limited to two copies per order.

Ordered the 3cd version myself earlier.

• Advertisement

A fan mailed Owen Morris with some fascinating info and anecdotes provided by him.

Mustique demos are.
    D’you know what I mean
    My big mouth
    My sister lover
    Stand by me
    I hope I think I know
    The girl in the dirty shirt
    Don’t go Away
    Fade In-Out
    Stay young
    Angel child
    The fame
    All around the world
    It’s getting better man!!

. Was Shakermaker remixed from the demo for the album version? When did Liam re-record the "I'd like to buy the world a Coke" line?

Don't know if it was "the demo", but it was certainly a Mark Coyle and band recording made quickly that they all liked. They had a mixed version of it ready to go into production as the next single after Supersonic, but after I mixed Rock n Roll Star and Columbia, Marcus (on behalf of Noel, I guess) asked me to re-mix Shakermaker.
    Liam re-recorded the 3rd verse in Johnny Marrs home studio. (when was the mastering? end April, beginning May 1994???) It was where I'd mastered Def Maybe.....and it was a couple of weeks after the mastering that we were told that the third verse had to be changed....for obvious publishing reasons. Liam and Noel turned up one morning, Noel had new words, I recorded Liam singing over an instrumental mix I'm put down of Shakermaker. He honestly sang it in one take. I matched the vocal level up with the rest of the mix (though the vocal sound changes slightly)....and edited just that verse into the album production master.

2. Any info about the recording and mixing of the Live Forever b-sides Cloudburst and Up in the Sky (acoustic).

Nothing to do with me those two
    >
    > Morning Glory
    >
    3. Is the clip of Noel singing Morning Glory at the start of Acquiesce from a demo of that song, or was it specially recorded for Acquiesce?

I gotta think about this. Noel played me acoustic versions of tunes like Morning Glory on the Some Might say/Acquiese session. But as far as I can remember, it was probably on a pass through the tape hone I was setting Noel up to either do his vocals or play tambourine.....and he would've sang/played that little snippet of Morning Glory as a cheeky reference, specifically to get fans like you asking about it in later years. We'd have listened back to it, laughed at it, and Noel would've said to leave it on.
    >
    4. Did Noel record a demo of Wonderwall, from when it was called Wishing Stone? Noel mentions the song's working title in the video below and I wondered if he ever referred to a recording of it in that form during the Rockfield sessions.

Never heard that version myself. I only heard Wonderwall in Rockfield studios a day or two before we recorded it.
    >
    5. Is there a version of Don't Look Back In Anger with Liam on vocals? Nick Brine recalls that there was an early version. The only other reference I could find to this was in an old edition of MOJO... would appreciate your insight on this!

I was there on the session. Liam absolutely did not sing DLBIA at any point. Noel sat him down and played him Wonderwall and DLBIA and asked which one Liam would prefer to sing....in the knowledge that Noel WAS going to sing the one Liam decided NOT to sing. Liam chose Wonderwall. Liam, at no stage, went in the studio and sang DLBIA. Nick Brines memory is incorrect, but he could've been setting up mics or making the tea, while Noel, Liam and myself were working out the next few days recording plans.
    >
    > Noel on DLBIA... 'When I gave [Liam] Don't Look Back in Anger he's singing,
    > 'But don't back in anger, not today.' I'm saying, 'It's don't _look_ back in
    > anger. 'He's saying, 'Well, that's not what's ****in' written 'ere, chief''
    > Surprisingly, this exchange did not lead to the usual fraternal punch-up but
    > served as confirmation to Noel of his dyslexia.' (From MOJO, December 1997,
    > p. 64)

I have no knowledge of this exchange. Noel first played the song at Sheffield a week or three before the Rockfield sessions started.......it is my guess that he tried Liam out singing the song then.....and gave it up as a bad job.
    >
    6. How did the radio tuning noises idea come about for the title track? Were they added in at the mixing stage?
    >
    Noel wanted radio noises etc. We plugged a radio in while mixing the track and he fiddled with the dial. Probably took five minutes at most.
    >
    > Be here Now
    > 7.Did the Mustique demo tape contain the song Slow? Any more info on this or any other unreleased tracks from this demo tape would be great.

I've got the full, in order track listing somewhere. I'll dig it out for you.

8. Do you remember anything about the unreleased Oasis song The Red, White and blue? Any details would be great. It's mentioned briefly in Paolo Hewitt's book Getting High as being from around this period, but doesn't say if it was ever recorded.
    >
    I didn't record it.......but I hope I think I know......NG was unsure about the "I hope I think I know" up until the last (his alternate line was going to be O A S I S ......)....possibly red white and blue was an earlier option.........But I really don't know so don't take what I'm saying with any authority.

9. Did Liam ever record a take of the b-sides Going Nowhere and flashbax?

No.......I don't remember Flashbax! Liam was going to do backing vocals on Going Nowhere, but for some stupid reason, the talk back between the control room and Liam in the studio was on permanently (it was my last Oasis session....)....it was in Blurs studio at Matrix.......and Liam overheard me and Noel making some singer jokes, as one did, at Liams expense......stupid really........and Liam clocked it and walked out.

Ordered the super deluxe boxset, for my sins. I'd be letting myself down, with a name like mine, if I had The Stone Roses boxset and not the Definitely Maybe one! I only live for boards.ie cred!

For those thinking of ordering, do your dealings in sterling as the exchange rate they give you for euro is terrible. I got charged three euro less when ordering the deluxe set and the cassette in sterling than I would have been for just ordering the deluxe box in euro.

It's cheaper to order it on Amazon granted, but then you don't get the 12" Whatever single.

"Put a roach in it, turn the f**kin' light off!"

Ordered the super deluxe boxset, for my sins. I'd be letting myself down, with a name like mine, if I had The Stone Roses boxset and not the Definitely Maybe one! I only live for boards.ie cred!

For those thinking of ordering, do your dealings in sterling as the exchange rate they give you for euro is terrible. I got charged three euro less when ordering the deluxe set and the cassette in sterling than I would have been for just ordering the deluxe box in euro.

It's cheaper to order it on Amazon granted, but then you don't get the 12" Whatever single.

"Put a roach in it, turn the f**kin' light off!"

I'll order the super deluxe of the other releases but that album doesn't mean much to me anymore.

I'll order the super deluxe of the other releases but that album doesn't mean much to me anymore.

Yeah I'm really looking forward to Be Here Now. Noel and Owen Morris seem to be in agreement, even if Liam isn't, that it was a woefully produced album. I really like it, granted, but it'll be interesting to see what they can do with it.

Having said all that, I would possibly say MG is my favoutite album of the three, so I imagine that it's going to be an expensive summer for me :rolleyes:

You and me both! As if I haven't spent enough money on Oasis f(*£ing boxsets already.... :)

blastman wrote: »
    You and me both! As if I haven't spent enough money on Oasis f(*£ing boxsets already.... :)

The vinyl box set cost me a bomb!

The vinyl box set cost me a bomb!

Yep, I waited until it was sold out and then paid over the odds as well, although not too much, I don't think. I saw one recently on Ebay, the seller was looking for £1,100 for it!! They do seem to go reasonably regularly for £300-£350, mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Yeah I'm really looking forward to Be Here Now. Noel and Owen Morris seem to be in agreement, even if Liam isn't, that it was a woefully produced album. I really like it, granted, but it'll be interesting to see what they can do with it.

If its just being remastered, it'll sound more or less the same, only louder and with a little bit more fidelity.

If they are *remixing* it however, that's a different matter. They may do a 'stripped down' remix as a bonus disc, but I would imagine Noel would want input on that, and how involved is he in this project?

If its just being remastered, it'll sound more or less the same, only louder and with a little bit more fidelity.

If they are *remixing* it however, that's a different matter. They may do a 'stripped down' remix as a bonus disc, but I would imagine Noel would want input on that, and how involved is he in this project?

Even a remaster would be great, in terms of improving the production of the sound. The dynamic range of BHN on CD was awful.

We might get some properly remixed songs, but I imagine that Noel is too busy with his new album, and far too lazy in general to partake in such work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

That's a really interesting site, I've been checking out a load of albums to see what the dynamic range is like!

Its interesting that a few albums like "Pod" by the Breeders, "Rid Of Me" by PJ Harvey, and Shellac's first album are all very high - 14 - and all were produced by Steve Albini.

Be Here Now is only 5 and Def Maybe 7.

Advertisement