Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotating shoes

Options
  • 18-11-2010 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭

You would think that by now I'd be using 2 pairs of runners together, letting one breathe etc... :rolleyes: However I've only had one decent pair of runners for the last few months and they are well in excess of 800km and due to be placed on the shelf of 'flat' shoes.

I just wondered how many different pairs of runners you rotate? Does rotating 2 pairs yield a longer life for each pair?

Also, since I will be purchasing very soon I intend to get 2 pairs. Would you recommend 2 of the same or perhaps one for shorter runs and one for LSRs? I'm a neutral foot type, normal pronator, low arches.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I always rotate and typically have 4 on the go, one nearing EOL and resigned to easy runs on the grass, one being broken in and use a different shoe for different workouts, tempo V long primarily.
    They say you should see slightly different foot fall even with 2 pairs of the make and this in theory should minimize repetitive injury types.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I think we've discussed this a few months ago and a few punters here put Imelda Marcos to shame.

I always have 2 training pairs that are used for rotation, usually different makes, with a strict policy of never using the same pair twice in a row.

But of course there's also a pair for racing, a pair for speed workouts and one for off-road running. And the one in the cupboard waiting to be rotated in as a replacement.

At least I've chucked my second racing pair after 660 miles .... :rolleyes:

But if you think I'm bad, have a look in Krusty's wardrobe :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

I just wondered how many different pairs of runners you rotate? Does rotating 2 pairs yield a longer life for each pair?
    Yes, the sole of the shoe takes a battering when you're running and needs time to decompress. Most commentators tend to agree that 24hours is not long enough for the sole to fully decompress, therefore if you run on a shoe again within 24 hours the sole is not performing optimally. This has the effect of reducing the life of the sole.

I have read elsewhere that rotating two shoes together will yield equivalent mileage to three shoes if using one at a time (if you get 100 miles out of a pair of shoes, bin them, another 100, bin, and 100 -v- 150 miles per shoe rotated)
    Also, since I will be purchasing very soon I intend to get 2 pairs. Would you recommend 2 of the same or perhaps one for shorter runs and one for LSRs? I'm a neutral foot type, normal pronator, low arches.

It is recommended to use two different brands for reasons beepbeep mentioned.
    I pronate and rotate Mizuno Wave Inspire and Nike Lunarglides, although I'm not mad about the Lunarglides and won't be buying them again

Edit: not sure about benefits of different shoes for different sessions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

DustyBin wrote: »
    although I'm not mad about the Lunarglides and won't be buying them again

I thought you said you liked them ya bollocks, I just got the auld one to bring me back a pair from the states as I wanted to try something different. My first run so far went well in them, not as much bounce as the Asics though + I dont like wearing black runners for some reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

catweazle wrote: »
    I thought you said you liked them ya bollocks

I did like them, sure didn't I do the Cork marathon in them
    Don't like them anymore though - not sure why
    I've noticed that the top of the arch on the sole (inside the shoe) has started to scuff and wear - maybe they are just the wrong shape for a flat footed platypus like me :confused:
    catweazle wrote: »
    + I dont like wearing black runners for some reason

Vanity is a terrible affliction ...

Get yourself a few of these:
    glowrainstar.jpg

And some of those:
    creativetoy_2131_447371282

Should sort you right out ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I keep two pairs of the same model for training. I have an E or an O written inside the shoes. Depending on if the day is odd or even, I know which pair to wear without the risk of wearing the same pair two days in a row (except when a month goes from 31st to 1st)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

You would think that by now I'd be using 2 pairs of runners together, letting one breathe etc... :rolleyes: However I've only had one decent pair of runners for the last few months and they are well in excess of 800km and due to be placed on the shelf of 'flat' shoes.

Cheers.

I have nine active pairs of runners at the moment (four Nike Elites, one Mizuno Elixir, one Nike Lunarglide, one Nike Marathoner, one Nike Pegagsus and one Nike Mayfly).

I don't actually rotate them anymore. I generally run in one pair of Nike Elites unless they get soaked and don't dry in which case I'll run in another Elites or the pegagsus. faster sessions and I'll pick the marathon or elixir.

I used to rotate and all that cr@p but if you keep your weight down and run light on your feet then if they are dry no need to rotate and I stopped counting the miles on them as I now think that they are good until (a) a hole comes in the upper (b) the sole falls off (c) I loose them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

I don't religiously rotate them either but it does end up that way in the rain and as I do different sessions.
    ASICS 1130 - for general use, easy runs.
    Adidas Supernova Glides - for general use, especially hard surfaces.
    Salomon XT Wings - for off-road use.
    Nike Lunar Glides - for faster sessions, races.
    ASICS XC spikes - for track and cross country.

I like the fact that they are all a bit different which I think helps my foot adapt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I have...

one active pair of nike lunar mariah. I have a spare pair for when thes ones fall apart. I have used these for every run over the past 6 months or so. They weight about 200grams, which is the same as my mayflys(haven't use these since getting the mariahs)

I think there is alot of crap about runners... roatating, throwing them away after 300miles.. even the concept of gait. I was once a heavy over pronater and ran in adida supernovas to correct this.

I spent a couple of months working on my running style and have ran in lightweights ever since without a single injury (touchwood).

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭dare2be

mloc123 wrote: »
    I have...

one active pair of nike lunar mariah. I have a spare pair for when thes ones fall apart. I have used these for every run over the past 6 months or so. They weight about 200grams, which is the same as my mayflys(haven't use these since getting the mariahs)

I think there is alot of crap about runners... roatating, throwing them away after 300miles.. even the concept of gait. I was once a heavy over pronater and ran in adida supernovas to correct this.

I spent a couple of months working on my running style and have ran in lightweights ever since without a single injury (touchwood).

I'm a fan of the lightweights too, very lightweight, adidas adizero lightweight to be precise. Only have these pair & a pair of trail runners. Used to have the Supernovas myself but they were like carrying 2 concrete blocks around.

Don't see the point in having a wardrobe full of runners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

dare2be wrote: »
    I'm a fan of the lightweights too, very lightweight, adidas adizero lightweight to be precise. Only have these pair & a pair of trail runners. Used to have the Supernovas myself but they were like carrying 2 concrete blocks around.

Don't see the point in having a wardrobe full of runners

They are like concrete blocks alright. I tried on a pair of adizero on holidays a couple of months back... If I wasn't such a Nike whore now I would have bought them.

^^ +1 on the Adizero Tempos - I got a pair from Sub4 and love, love, love them, also for me the size 10 in Addias seems to fit me more snuggly (word?) than Nike, where I seem to be between sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Wow some impressive shoe wardrobes here

I've only used the Addidas Supernova Sequence for the last 6 months for all runs. I haven't experimented much with shoes. But the Supernovas are dusted now. No spring, flat, worn on outer edge of sole due to changed foot strike this summer and generally out of shape.

I now have a pair of Asics GT 2160s and a pair of Mizuno Wave Inpire 6s winging their way to me. Looking forward to checking them out. I heard and read that the GT 2160s are a good shoe. I used to Run in the 2110 up to 2140 and had no complaints.

I checked out Bambaatas Mizunos over the summer too and they seemed very light compared to Asics but I'm told hold up well to long runs.

Now which to use for the long run this weekend Asics or Mizuno hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭dare2be

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    ^^ +1 on the Adizero Tempos - I got a pair from Sub4 and love, love, love them, also for me the size 10 in Addias seems to fit me more snuggly (word?) than Nike, where I seem to be between sizes.

Do you use them for Lsr's Beep Beep? I know they are specified for shorter distances just wondering about their suitability for marathon distance? Maybe a step up to the Adios is required?

Sorry for going off topic MCOS :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Its all good :)

Do you use them for Lsr's Beep Beep? I know they are specified for shorter distances just wondering about their suitability for marathon distance? Maybe a step up to the Adios is required?

I use the response cushion for the longer runs, I find them better as I tire towards the end.

Advertisement