Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Theory test question

• 18-11-2010 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

The guy who I plan on buying my bike off (small dealer from his garage) he tells me that for the theory test the test for "mopeds and motorbikes" is pretty much for mopeds, quads and those small bikes you see teenagers with (think theyre called scramblers).

He reckons I just need the regular theory..... that doesnt sound right to me at all :confused::confused::confused:

Ive checked the theory test website and to be very honest I cant make heads or tails off it :o:o can anyone clear this up for me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭bladespin

There's a specific motorcycle theory test, you'll need that before you can apply for a license.

BTW I'd be wary of any dealer that didn't know that.

http://theorytest.ie/english/driver-theory-test/test-types.php

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Gerry.L

Thanks for the link. Thats the page I was looking at already. From that page I get the impression I need the test "AM".... Fair enough.

So when I go to book a test I come to this page here

http://eu-securereg3.prometric.com/programselection.aspx

where it asks what test I want. motorcycle/moped is there along with the regular test.... but no sign off an AM test :confused::confused::confused:

IS AM the equivlent of motocycle/moped test or have I gone wrong somewhere along the line...??

Thanks for the help... :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Pick the motorcyle test on the promectric site. And get the CD/book and practise first. Common sense won't let you pass now days as they are doing the whole trick question bull to catch people out. And also with Questions like;

If two cars collide head on with with both cars travelling at 50kph what is the speed of the collision per vehicle.

A)50kph B) 100kph C) 200kph D) A chicken

They say the answer is B. they are wrong. Shows how thick government organisations are.

get the CD/book and practise first.

with Questions like;

If two cars collide head on with with both cars travelling at 50kph what is the speed of the collision per vehicle.

A)50kph B) 100kph C) 200kph D) A chicken

They say the answer is B. they are wrong. Shows how thick government organisations are.

I got the CD on Sunday. Ive being studying my ass off since.

I saw that question a good few times. I didnt know it was wrong :eek: :eek:. Just out of curiosity what is the right answer? Is there anything else on the CD/Book/Test that you know is wrong?

Id imagine if they are given out bad advice (wrong theory) they are opening themselves up for some serious trouble if somebody gets killed or hurt....

Nearly forget. I just want to clarify. So your saying I should book for motorcycle and moped test. Is that what your saying?

Gerry.L wrote: »
    I got the CD on Sunday. Ive being studying my ass off since.

I saw that question a good few times. I didnt know it was wrong :eek: :eek:. Just out of curiosity what is the right answer? Is there anything else on the CD/Book/Test that you know is wrong?

Id imagine if they are given out bad advice (wrong theory) they are opening themselves up for some serious trouble if somebody gets killed or hurt....

Nearly forget. I just want to clarify. So your saying I should book for motorcycle and moped test. Is that what your saying?

The right answer for the test is 100kph. The actual right answer is 50kph roughly. Its because of Newtons third law.

Book motorcycle and moped theory test, they are the same.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that cuddlesworth. I'll book that now.

BTW: I had a quick look at that Newtons third law
    Third law: The mutual forces of action and reaction between two bodies are equal, opposite and collinear. This means that whenever a first body exerts a force F on a second body, the second body exerts a force −F on the first body. F and −F are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. This law is sometimes referred to as the action-reaction law, with F called the "action" and −F the "reaction". The action and the reaction are simultaneous.

I'll just take your word on it... :D:D

They make it so much more exciting then I could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

It's been a long time since I did applied maths for the leaving but I was told that the answer to that would have been 100kph!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Would it not be down to the wording?

The speed of the force of the crash on the vehical would be 50kmph, while the speed of the force of the crash itself would be 100kmph?!

Would it not be down to the wording?

The speed of the force of the crash on the vehical would be 50kmph, while the speed of the force of the crash itself would be 100kmph?!

Nope, the wording in the test is very specific. I can't revise it off the top of my head but I remember going on a huge rant for a hour on how you could screw that up on the basic questions. Or why you would feel the need to ask?

Ohh and even with your wording the speed of the crash or even the energy dissipated when two cars collide head on is no different then a car driving into a solid wall. So two cars crashing head on at 50kph is never more then a 50kph crash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Does it not ask the combined speed, not force so 100kph would be correct?

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Does it not ask the combined speed, not force so 100kph would be correct?

Nope, the combined speed is 0 since they are not travelling in the same direction. On a simple y axis, 50 + (-50)= 0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Nope, the combined speed is 0 since they are not travelling in the same direction. On a simple y axis, 50 + (-50)= 0

Then hitting a wall would be

50 + 0 = 50

Not the same.

Heres the wording from the CD
    If two vehicles each travelling at 100 km/h collide head-on, the speed on impact is...

a) 50 km/h
    b) 150 km/h
    c) 200 km/h
    d) 100 km/h

Answer

c

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Then hitting a wall would be

50 + 0 = 50

Not the same.

Your right. The combined speed on impact is 0 since the vehicle has decelerated to 0 on impact. The speed for each vehicle in a head on just before impact individually is 50kph. The combined speed just before impact is 0, since -50 + 50 = 0. The force of the impact does not double by involving two vehicles travelling at the same speed.

the question is horribly wrong no matter what way you look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Kiddeh

holy bagoda... motorcycle thread my *** take this to a maths thread hehe.... but

Going back on topic ye apply for A/M and do the test then when you get your cert to say you passed and you apply for your permit be sure to get an A licence if your wanna ride anything over 125cc.... but if your content with mopeds and 50cc scooters with superbike bodys then by all means stick with the A1... IMO A is the way to go

and off topic to the nerdy side of the post... Cuddlesworth is 100% right... questions is a loada malark.... if it asks the speed its 0..... and if it asks the force on impact its the equivalent of a 50km/h crash so regardless the DTT is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Pablo_

Gerry.L wrote: »
    Thanks for the link. Thats the page I was looking at already. From that page I get the impression I need the test "AM".... Fair enough.

So when I go to book a test I come to this page here

http://eu-securereg3.prometric.com/programselection.aspx

where it asks what test I want. motorcycle/moped is there along with the regular test.... but no sign off an AM test :confused::confused::confused:

IS AM the equivlent of motocycle/moped test or have I gone wrong somewhere along the line...??

Thanks for the help... :):)

Its for all motorcycles .... A licence is A licence .... renewing my provisional ( car and bike) and done the AM theory test on saturday ... def not just for mopeds and chicken chasers. Alot on the positioning of the bike and overtaking and parts of the bike.

PS - i didn't realise test was on sat and only got to go into easons sat morning, sat on an armchair in there and studies the motorcycle section of the theory test book for two hours and passed that afternoon ..... would not recommend that though!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TonyInch

Looking for so info please?

I'm doing my theory test Friday morning and if I pass want to go straight round to the tax office for my provisional to beat the 6th of Dec deadline.I have a full car licence 4/5years so would I need to do another eye test for my application?

TonyInch wrote: »
    Looking for so info please?

I'm doing my theory test Friday morning and if I pass want to go straight round to the tax office for my provisional to beat the 6th of Dec deadline.I have a full car licence 4/5years so would I need to do another eye test for my application?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Kiddeh

nah just bring ur licence and make sure its not in tatters the get the learner permit form take a ticket and go to the desk.... *NOTE* if ur goin to the tax office off queen street in dublin... dont ask ur man at the front desk cause he'll try send ya on a mad goose chase saying u need to get a replacment licence first and a cert stamped by an garda siochanna to say the licence is urs....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Your right. The combined speed on impact is 0 since the vehicle has decelerated to 0 on impact. The speed for each vehicle in a head on just before impact individually is 50kph. The combined speed just before impact is 0, since -50 + 50 = 0. The force of the impact does not double by involving two vehicles travelling at the same speed.

the question is horribly wrong no matter what way you look at it.

Combined speed is 100. Speed is a scalar not a vector so has no direction. Velocity has a direction :p

Advertisement