Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does rent allowance transfer from one city to another? (Galway to Cork)

Options
  • 18-11-2010 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi there.

I've been receiving rent allowance in Galway city since May 21st this year. I got it (not backdated) less than 3 weeks after applying. Since then the amount has always been 40 euros towards my 70 euros rent.

I will probably be moving back to Cork in early January to find work and I was wondering if anybody knows while I'm job hunting if I can transfer the rent allowance if I move in to similarly priced/sized accommodation in cork? I asked at threshold and they said that I probably would have to re-apply and wait again for weeks/months in Cork. However, I know the rules are constantly changing as regards Rent allowance.

I'd appreciate any information or suggestions on this...

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭sandra06

hi as far as i know you have to re apply.but you can apply before you move ,and they should back date it but again you have to apply for backdating to.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Beakflakes

Thanks Sandra.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Yep you have to reapply. I had to reapply and I was only moving 3 miles away but it was a different property and dealt with by a different CWO office!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

sandra06 wrote: »
    hi as far as i know you have to re apply.but you can apply before you move ,and they should back date it but again you have to apply for backdating to.

done this three times but you have to reapply when you are in the new place. get the forms from the new authority asap. it will only be backdated from when the forms go in.

i had huge problems when i moved to cork as the cwo insisted nothing could be paid until i was on the housing list and that took seven months and no backdating

i had been renting privately years and like you on ra

they were wrong; it is either council list or renting6 months. a kind welfare complaints officer i met at a craft fair told me and i emailed the cwos superior and got immediate action and the 7 months ra backdated

have heard of similar problems in cork. just need yo know the rules and insist.

here in kerry it all went very smoothly and fast thankfully and am still not on the housing list. cwo did noteven visit the house

so good luck!

pleasescuse typos .. broken wrist

Advertisement