Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quality differences in underwater housing

• 18-11-2010 5:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭

Hi!

Recently upgraded to a 7d, and i'm currently looking at underwater housing for the camera. From reading online reviews, and looking at price differences, there seems to be a huge difference between them all. I'v never had a housing before, so i'v no idea what i should be looking out for..

Just to note - I wont be using it at great depth

Anyone with any recommendations or advice? Obviously i don't want to get one that isn't good quality, but then again, I'd happily buy a not so expensive good quality one, once i knew it was actually good.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

What's your budget? Rigid housings (as opposed to aquapac-style 'bags') are very expensive, I think?
    I have an EWA Marine UB housing (not rigid, but a sturdy enough plastic thingie) for my Nikon D300, and have taken the camera kayaking (including a capsize :o) and swimming in the sea. It kept the equipment nice and dry, I never had any problems with it. That said, it's a bit cumbersome to use, changing settings on the camera is not easy. Cost was about 250 € (this was 3 years back, not sure about the price now).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Budget would prob be around the 300-400 mark. It's not something overly essential, but i'v always wanted to bring the cam out on the water etc, and i just wouldn't trust myself enough without a casing of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Visuelle

If your only using on water in case of splashes etc only get the plastic coverings, I have seen them used and they do the job.

I dive with a proper underwater housing down to 24M but my housing is good for at least 60M (Some day), if you were doing diving then it would be a proper housing costing around €1000, this is probably not what your looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Proper housings for the 7D (SEA&SEA, IKELITE etc) are more expensive than you think ...... because you have to get various ports (for different lenses), TTL Converter, Underwater Strobe (or two) .... etc etc.

I have a housing for the 5D - and I paid about 2K for it (secondhand) - (The VooDoo) I don't use it much so if you are interested in renting it and trying it for a dive..... or if you want you can rent a G10 and underwater housing from me - I don't have a strobe for it - so you'd need fairly clear water/bright conditions (I used it a little bit...well..the girlfriend used it a bit - while we were in Hawaii during the summer).

Do you have much dive experience (I'm new to it) .... but will hopefully get back at it after christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Visuelle

PCPhoto wrote: »
    Do you have much dive experience (I'm new to it) .... but will hopefully get back at it after christmas.

Where do you dive in Ireland out of interest?

• Advertisement

West coast ,.... just at the Clare/Galway boarder ... and in Kerry...... plan on diving some more in Kerry and Galway in early spring.

Supposed to be some nice wrecks off the coast of Donegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

PCPhoto wrote: »
    ... if you are interested in renting it and trying it for a dive.....

This is not the first time you have mentioned the housing for 5D. Could you PM me what lense would fit in and if there is real possibility of renting the housing for a bit of water sport photography?

I have ports for wideangle (16-35, 20mm) and macro (50mm, 60mm and 100mm)

Dont have zoom rings - but if I got zoom rings you could use the zoom lenses properly - I used my 16-35mm at 16mm only, could also use 24-70mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

I'v a bit of dive experience, but mainly overseas, tbh i'd mostly be looking at it as an additional way of protecting it. I do alot of trekking, which would involve rivers and the like, so it's more just a way of being able to bring it and not be really nervous.. but then again, i would bring it diving if i had the opportunity.

if you want something to carry your camera and lenses into the water - get one of the baggie thingys designed to protect a camera from splashes and underwater at shallow waters.

if you want full protection when going underwater its better to get the proper housing - one that is designed to go deep underwater.

if you are trying to get pics of surfers.... on the crest of a wave - from a board....use a baggie....if trying to get them from a beach ...get a super long lens.

the cheaper waterproof covers appear to do what they are designed for - keep the camera dry in shallow waters....I cant find decent reviews claiming they are good or bad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement