Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying shares

Options
  • 18-11-2010 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello

A good friend of mine from the US said I should buy shares in a certain company. I didn't admit to him that I didn't know where to begin.

What should I do if I wanted to buy shares in an American company? I think I need a broker?

Many thanks
    Paul

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

pukaaloop wrote: »
    Hello

A good friend of mine from the US said I should buy shares in a certain company. I didn't admit to him that I didn't know where to begin.

What should I do if I wanted to buy shares in an American company? I think I need a broker?
    l

There are plenty of on-line brokers that are secure. I have a US trading account but I heard they weren't accepting non US people anymore. I am in the process of setting up an Irish trading account too. I can PM you the site if you want although I can't vouch for them yet.
    It comes down to cost. My US account is $10 per trade regardless of size. I have never found an Irish one that cheap. Some brokers charge a %age whereas with others it is a flat fee. Also it depends how much you are investing. For example there is no point in buying €100 worth of shares if you need to pay fees out of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pukaaloop

Thanks for replying

I have a few thousand euro to invest, but again, I am a total beginner in this. I just would love to know the basic mechanism of buying shares, and where I should go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

pukaaloop wrote: »
    Hello

Many thanks
    Paul

:confused:

You need to add H1 tags?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Is your friend a financial advisor?

Is this the right forum?

cormee wrote: »
    :confused:

You need to add H1 tags?

I've got great returns from those.

Advertisement