Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long/regularly do you walk your dog

• 18-11-2010 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi im trying to decide what dog would suit us and ive it narrowed down to a few, id like staffy, jack russel, yorkie and one or two more are are floating around.

Im just wondering could people give me ideas how they walk their dogs.
    1 long walk?
    two or 3 short?
    day or night?

I know all breeds and individual dogs have different needs thats why im looking for real life personal advice.

Thanks

PS. doesnt have to just the ones named above

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

I would say that a staff and a jack russell would have similar energy requirements. Our staff needs around an hours walk on the lead daily or 30 mins chasing a ball like a lunatic :) Sometimes we do shorter, sometimes way longer.

I would think that a yorkie may need around half that, but I'd leave it to a yorkie owner to give you a better idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 PB27

Hi,

We have a Cocker Spanial and we walk him for at least an hour on weekdays and far longer at the weekend. He cant get enought and has loads of energy which suits us down to the ground.

But diff breeds need diff requirments. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

My Chihuahua goes on an hour walk a day along with my Spitz and Rottie. It really would depend on the dog, it's age would be a factor too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I have a cocker, i run him 5K four nights per week (30mins or so) and we have a dog walker two days a week... so i would say he does 25K per week... he cannot get enough of the exercise :D...

But if i were walking him he would need min of one hour each night... thats for an adult dog.. puupies can only take half that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I have 3 Jacks and a Springer. I walk the springer and 2 of the jacks for about 20/30 mins in the morning and all 4 get about 40 mins off lead every evening. My dad also takes the springer for about 2/3 15 minute walks.

To be honest though all of the dogs could easily double that amount of time.

They do get longer at the weekend. My youngest jack does agility, so that's a 2 hour class and an hour playtime after and she still comes home to play with the others :D

I have never yet managed to walk any of the younger ones till they are happy to stop :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Shih Tzu. At least an hour most days. Sometimes he goes on a play date, then there's no need to walk him. He's so knackered, he goes straight to sleep in the car!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I have a Westie, she gets 3 x 20 min walks a day as she needs that but is still only 6 months old. As she gets older I'll keep 2 of the 20 min walks and increase the time of the third, possibly up to well over an hour. On top of this she spends an hour digging up the beds in the stables and an hour racing around the garden, and mostly follows me around the house and yard the rest of the time. I'd say her exercise needs are comparable to those of a beagle or collie. No experience of Jack Russells but I'd always imagined they would be similar. Someone else may correct me on this of course ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 RhodeIslandRed

I have two Bichons. One is 4kg and the other 7kg. The big one especially has loads of energy. I walk them for approx one hour off lead a day plus a couple of short on lead walks. They have a walker three days a week and go for at least an hour off lead with her and a few other dogs. If small dogs are brought out regularly they can enjoy long off lead walks within reason but you have to be careful when they are puppies not to overwalk them. They are really relaxed for the rest of the day after a long walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Lab who gets walked at least once a day sometimes twice. Down the country so would be about 40 mins off the lead. He's older now (13) so that tires him out but when he was younger you could probably have brought him for 3 or 4 walks over the day and he'd still be able for more. I wish I had their energy!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

Don't be fooled into thinking that the smaller the dog the less exercise they'll need. Our middle dog is an 8 year old 3-legged Jack Russell cross and she has a seemingly inexhaustible supply of energy. Her idea of bliss is a 20 min walk to the park, at least 30 mins chasing a ball (more if possible) and then a 20 min walk back home. Even the youngest (another JR cross 5 years younger) has problems keeping up with her. On the other hand the eldest - a lab/collie cross - has always been very much a couch potato, although she enjoys the walk to the park and then just mooching around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭thebullkf

i have 2 small dogs.. approx 10-15kgs.

walked @ least once a day- 20 mins each way. plus 20 mins off lead playing fetch hitting a ball 50m @ a time... i do it about 20 times = an extra kilometre of cardio,on top of their walk.

they still have lots to burn so i leave them out the front most days in secure garden to play.

i do find that if for some reason they don't get walked they become a bit destructive.. (relatively new occurence...) i am thinking of behavioural training but am currently smashed:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I walk my 8 month old Yorkie every morning (20-30 min) and evening (30-40 min)

She has loads of energy - probably because she sleeps for the entire day when we're at work, plays with her toys and sniffs around the place!

At weekends we bring her to the woods or somewhere similar and she could easily keep up with you for over an hour and 1/2. She gets to run around with my OH's mother's Dax too and is always wrecked after that on weekends!

She only weighs 4kg and would stay walking with you as long as you walk with her...

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

Our Golden Cocker has a varied routine. Depending on work schedules, I walk him from 7.30am for an hour on the lead, and its a fairly brisk walk. And if he doesnt go with me, my boyfriend takes him to the local woods on his days off where he rambles for an hour aswell, and is usually wrecked. Our dog is 12 now, and up until 2 months ago he would get at least 2 hours exercise a day, but it was cut down due to him being ill and getting older, he is 12. But we have an enclosed back garden and he spends just as much time out there chasing birds and leaves. I think it all depends on the individual dog and its needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

One long walk every day, no matter the weather. Couple of small walks then to keep her entertained and pee/poo free in the mornings, evening. Plenty of ball play to wear her out too. Least I can do for the welcome I get when I come home, and all the attention she gives me!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Once again, ( a recent house move) we have fields to run the dogs in. Collie and "russet" ( JRTX Bassett)

They need to run themselves out once a day. Anything up to an hour running, digging holes etc.

Else they get crochety.

Smaller outings then in our new big garden and maybe ball play.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭HelenT

Our cocker spaniel needs at least 2 hours off the lead walk everyday. She is under one and has boundless energy. This is in addition to a couple of shorter on the lead walks to train her (15 - 20 mins).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

My dogs get 2 walks. One at lunchtime, free running around the fields at work for about 30 mins.
    Then in the evening my older fella gets about 1 hour walking/jogging and the pup gets about 15/20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Most days a morning off lead run for 45mins to an hour, if its a day I work all day it might be half hour(at 6.30am, it'll be on lead walk soon as its getting too dark at that time), as soon as I get home those days its a 20 min walk and another before bed, the other days maybe lunchtime walk, and evening run again, then a short 10 mins before bed.
    Some days (depending on weather) it could be a total of half hour to 45 mins, other days 2+ hours.
    My dogs are medium and small, they are indoors all the time unless I'm outside, and are very good and sleep mostly indoors('cos they're knackered). Even a 10 min walk in the rain sends them to sleep for an hour, they are 18months and 2 years so young dogs, but we also do training and they play games with my daughter.
    Occasionally we go to the beach for a few hours, thats great for them.

The only time I couldn't tire the older dog was when it snowed, he was crazy, he would have stayed out playing and running about with kids all day, he learned to sled and do power slides:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

My 2 cairn Xs get 45-60 minutes daily. Mostly on lead because there are few places to leave them off here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Currently walk my 16 week old Rottweiler for about 40 minutes a day. 2 20 minute walks. Before I go to bed, I bring him out to a field just beside my house and let him wander for about 10/15 minutes as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

3 or 4 times a day on the lead for 2 mins out to wee/poo then straight back in - he's on crate rest!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

Wish I could walk my Akita off the lead - his recall is up to himself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

GSD gets around an hour in the morning on lead and about 20-40 mins around 7-8 at night depending on the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

brisk 15mins in morning, 45-60min walk in evening
    20min playing fetch on the green at night

only varies slightly day-to-day and he gets more exercise and training at weekends:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Our border collie gets an hour and a half or so running around a forest, digging, etc. in the morning, and then a two hour walk in the evening. He could take a lot longer though, sometimes he needs to be brought out three or four times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Gypsyrose

We have 3 Yorkies!! All I can say is that all dogs are different, regardless of size or breed. When we are at home, they have about a 2 hour walk on leads or an hours mad run on a beach!!

Our 3 year old yorkie boy would happily walk all day long and still ask to go out for more once he got home!! The 2 girls just like an outing.

Good luck with whichever breed you choose. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Our border collie gets an hour and a half or so running around a forest, digging, etc. in the morning, and then a two hour walk in the evening. He could take a lot longer though, sometimes he needs to be brought out three or four times a day.

Is there a forest area in Tallaght?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    Is there a forest area in Tallaght?

There are loads of forest areas very close to Tallaght, maybe the OP drives there every day?

Advertisement