Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Child on school roof

• 18-11-2010 6:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Just looking for a bit of advice please. I arrived a bit early to school today to collect my children and didn't believe my eyes when I saw a sixth class child climbing from a stepladder onto the flat roof of the school to retrieve a basketball. What was even more shocking was the fact that one of the classroom assistants was holding the ladder while the child climbed onto the roof. Surely this is not normal practice in a primary school .... What should I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Do nothing. Seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

I'd ask to speak to the principal and explain your concern. Our kids are allowed hop over a wall to get their ball but there's no way they'd be allowed up on a ladder of any kind.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

In our prefab school, before we got our new one,I would imagine either a teacher or caretaker would have gone through the roof, this is the only way I could think of a child being put up instead-it never happened though and of course it is not right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Ah for gods sake. Talk about overreaction. Better a ladder then climbing up the drainpipes like I used to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

Collecting my nephew the other day and I seen a youngfella on the roof after climbing up free hand

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I remember when climbing trees and walls was normal behaviour for kids of all ages...

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

How high was this roof? When I was a kid, (not that I still amn't one :P) we used to climb up onto the top of the roof of a bike shed to get footballs down all the time. I understand your concern if they're climbing onto a full sized building, who wouldn't! But surely anything you can reach by step ladder isn't too bad. Having said that, I would have just gone up and got the ball myself, I am surprised that the teacher assisted the kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

You should have told him he was superman.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭veruca salt

:rolleyes:

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Veruca Salt, this is your on thread warning, as per the charter (which you should read again). Please do not post unless you have something constructive to add to the discussion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Not something I would do if I was in the position, purely because we have all become paranoid about the compo culture.

Having said that, I had the occasion to visit a school in another distant European country within the last year. To relate what I witnessed the children doing there in the school playground, would put hairs standing on the back of the necks of everybody in this country.

I think we have all become OTT here, to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

A couple of years ago at our school, one of the kids went over a wall to retrieve a ball and went through a greenhouse. Cut his arm badly. He was lucky but I agree that kids are too mollycoddled in school these days. In the ice last winter they were read the riot act for sliding. The best fun we had in primary school was sliding on ice patches.

Advertisement