Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help choosing GPU on HWVS

Options
  • 18-11-2010 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

OK, I am buying a P5Q Turbo Pro from HWVS.de and need someone to recommend me a graphics card.

I am thinking either:

This

This

Or this

Or would i be better going with some of the ATI options? I have not researches the ATI options so would appreciate if someone could help me.

I dont want to spend over €200.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If you got a bog-standard HD6850 for €150 and OCd it yourself it could easily trump the extreme-clocked models for less money. It would probably beat the Cyclone even at stock! :o Alternatively if you don't like OCing yourself or want to spend more of the money then look out for HD6870s going cheap around €190-200 - they'll happily munch the Platinum even at stock! Not much OC headroom on them though unless you go water.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Solitaire wrote: »
    If you got a bog-standard HD6850 for €150 and OCd it yourself it could easily trump the extreme-clocked models for less money. It would probably beat the Cyclone even at stock! :o Alternatively if you don't like OCing yourself or want to spend more of the money then look out for HD6870s going cheap around €190-200 - they'll happily munch the Platinum even at stock! Not much OC headroom on them though unless you go water.

How do you go about overclocking the 6850? Is it through software?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Their drivers (or rather its config panel) offer some moderate OC headroom although it usually takes a few driver releases for the limits to stabilize as its a new card. If you fancy dabbling in more extreme arcanery you'll need an upcoming version of Afterburner or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Solitaire wrote: »
    Their drivers (or rather its config panel) offer some moderate OC headroom although it usually takes a few driver releases for the limits to stabilize as its a new card. If you fancy dabbling in more extreme arcanery you'll need an upcoming version of Afterburner or similar.

Too late, your info on how to purchase from HWVS got me excited so i ordered the MSI GTX460.

Hope to f*ck someone buys my 8800's or im screwed!!! :P

Thanks again for the help

Advertisement