Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SQL Server remote connection

Options
  • 18-11-2010 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭

I have SQL Server 2008 installed on a Server 2008 PC. I am able to remote desktop into it but I am unable to connect to SQL on it via SQL Server Management Studio from another remote PC.
    The server is not on a domain (don't know if that makes a difference), it has a unique ip address, (which I type in to the server name field name) and the password and login are correct.
    I have a screen capture of it here (including the error message I am getting): http://oi54.tinypic.com/2056qfs.jpg

As a side note, I had to change the authentication of SQL after install from Windows authentication to SQL authentication as someone else installed it in the first place. I can connect to it using SQL authentication when i am on the server itself, it jsut will not allow remote connections.
    I even turned off the firewall on the server, stil no joy.
    I am certain it is a SQL issue, it jsut will not allow me to connect remotley. I have tried all the steps that people on other forums recommended, maybe someone here can come up with something new?
    Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Freddio

if you connect on the server, you will see the correct server name at the top of the tree on the left hand side ....

\computer-name\database

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

check the security/application logs on the remote machine.

If you are connecting to the SQL server installation but have a security issue you will get a more meaningful error and normally a sql error code which you can google.

I assume when you go to File->Connect in SQL and the Connect to Server dialog appears that you are changing the Authentication dropdown to SQL Authentication?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I can't see your error message (tinypic is blocked in work).

I presume you've gone through the surface area configuration and enabled remote connections? SQL Server disabled remote connections out of the box.

is your firewall blocking connections?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@amen - he tried it with the firewall turned off. I would hazard a guess that Seamus is correct.

• Advertisement

thanks Kbannon. I missed that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

Sorry for being so late getting back.
    I have enabled remote connections but still get the same error. I am able to remote desktop into the server, open SQL Server Management Studio and connect to the db from there but it's just a bit of a pain. maybe it is something to do with SQL on the side I am connecting from?

did you check your SQL Server and Windows server logs?
    When you use the SQL browser on your local Pc does it find the instance of the remote sql server?

is your password case sensitive?

Advertisement