Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help my build an i7, 16gb RAM PC? (Hardwareversand?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

We need more info.

Total budget?
    Monitor (s) setup? (and resolution fwiw)

you dont need the first item, the MoBo will have an onboard ethernet.
    the GPU might need to be changed (if you are running more than 1 monitor)
    the HDD should be changed. go with a Samsung F3 (500gb or 1tb, your choice)

what programs would you be running, maybe to concider an SSD.

EDIT: also, if you could just give us a screen print of your basket in future, it'd make reading that so much easier.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

For a pricey build a SSD would make a wonderful boot drive but in some cases they're not so good for apps, particularly ones of a databasing nature; web servers, poker machines and some sound packages can tear through an MLC-flash SSD and kill it dead within years or even months. They're really far better suited to read-operation-heavy scenarios such as operating systems and most games.

Anyway if this build is oriented at music production you'll need less graphics and much, much more money invested in sound :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Also, take noise levels into consideration. Is the PC going to be in a recording environment? If noise is a concern, you'll possibly want to rethink your case for something with a layer of sound insulation. And some of those stock coolers make a high pitched whine when under load, so an aftermarket heatsink might be worth considering. And possibly some low noise case fans.

Don't know much about sound cards tbh, but Creative ones are geared towards playback, probably wouldn't be all that great for capturing sound.

And some general advice with my musician hat on: powerful computers are great and all, but if this is an investment are you sure you can't get a better return through recording equipment/instruments etc.? i7's a great and but their productivity hinges entirely on the scalability of the software. I'm sure you have already but look into the performance benchmarks for the software you'll be using and whether they'll utilize all those extra threads and memory you'll be investing in.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭musicformedia

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    We need more info.

Total budget?
    Monitor (s) setup? (and resolution fwiw)

you dont need the first item, the MoBo will have an onboard ethernet.
    the GPU might need to be changed (if you are running more than 1 monitor)
    the HDD should be changed. go with a Samsung F3 (500gb or 1tb, your choice)

what programs would you be running, maybe to concider an SSD.

EDIT: also, if you could just give us a screen print of your basket in future, it'd make reading that so much easier.

Sorry I always forget that. I have two 22" Samsung 222BW monitors.

Budget up to 1200 euros I suppose.

I was considering an SSD as I will be using it for music production, but they are fairly expensive as I would need a 500GB SSD which I'm not sure exists and if it does, its prob way too expensive.

Thanks for the tip - should have screen printed :)

Solitaire wrote: »
    For a pricey build a SSD would make a wonderful boot drive but in some cases they're not so good for apps, particularly ones of a databasing nature; web servers, poker machines and some sound packages can tear through an MLC-flash SSD and kill it dead within years or even months. They're really far better suited to read-operation-heavy scenarios such as operating systems and most games.

Anyway if this build is oriented at music production you'll need less graphics and much, much more money invested in sound :o

Yea I just want the most basic graphics card - don't want to be tempted to play games on this. It will be for music production. I have all the sound side done - I have all of the equipment I need for that - external sound card, monitors, keyboard, software etc. Do you think I need a better sound card on the PC though? I won't be using it as it all goes through my keyboard soundcard.

Here is one of the pieces of software I will be using:

http://www.soundsonline.com/Hollywood-Strings/

Click on specifications to get an idea of the requirements

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

You still haven't said exactly what you'll be doing and what software you'll be using... :p

Hell, that €1200 could easily become €700 once you add a studio-grade sound card to the mix...

Also, take noise levels into consideration. Is the PC going to be in a recording environment? If noise is a concern, you'll possibly want to rethink your case for something with a layer of sound insulation. And some of those stock coolers make a high pitched whine when under load, so an aftermarket heatsink might be worth considering. And possibly some low noise case fans.

Don't know much about sound cards tbh, but Creative ones are geared towards playback, probably wouldn't be all that great for capturing sound.

And some general advice with my musician hat on: powerful computers are great and all, but if this is an investment are you sure you can't get a better return through recording equipment/instruments etc.? i7's a great and but their productivity hinges entirely on the scalability of the software. I'm sure you have already but look into the performance benchmarks for the software you'll be using and whether they'll utilize all those extra threads and memory you'll be investing in.

PC noise won't be an issue. I use virtual instruments, but have sank a huge amount of money into them. You'd be very suprised how good they are nowadays. The reason I need such a heavy system is that the software is very RAM intensive - 16gb recommended and 330 gigs size for some of the software

You still haven't said exactly what you'll be doing and what software you'll be using... :p

Hell, that €1200 could easily become €700 once you add a studio-grade sound card to the mix...

I'll be using the following software:

Hollywood Strings
    LA Scoring Strings
    Reason
    East West Composer Bundle
    Cubase 5 Studio
    Access Virus Ti Keyboard
    KRK 5 Monitors

Don't need a top of the line output soundcard as the output will be through my keyboard soundcard (which is amazing) into my monitors and my input will be just software or through an external soundcard

The basics of it are that I just need as much RAM as possible and the best processor out there. A good soundcard would be nice too, but not a necessity as advised, I use an outboard sound card :)

It will be only used for composing - no gaming or anything at all else happening on it :) Lots of very high end software and incredibly intensive programs requiring as much RAM as possible :)

Emmett

OK, I've made a new shopping list now - 100 euros less lol. Any ideas on this one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ryan451

Is 160GB enough for your Hard Drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

[IMG][/img]i7.png

1136 i7 will be better and 12gb of triple channel ram will be as good as 16gb of dual channel ram final price is 990 with them building too sorry could not fit final price in snap shot lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

I'll be using the following software:

Hollywood Strings
    LA Scoring Strings
    Reason
    East West Composer Bundle
    Cubase 5 Studio
    Access Virus Ti Keyboard
    KRK 5 Monitors

Don't need a top of the line output soundcard as the output will be through my keyboard soundcard (which is amazing) into my monitors and my input will be just software or through an external soundcard

Virtual instruments? :eek: Give me a tape recorder and an out of tune upright any day of the week :P Seems you have a very nice setup already, so yeah can't go too wrong with an i7.

Tbh I'm finding it impossible to get any reliable information on the scalability of the above software. Massey may be onto something though with the triple channel RAM though, you'll get better throughput this way which is generally a good thing when operating over long linear signals. It's only I can't be sure because there's no real reliable information to compare.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Given the prices now I'd go for a bigger hard drive, 1.5TB minimum or two if you feel inclined to have some level of backup, for €60+ well worth it

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Thanks guys - that seems a lot better.

I already have the following PC:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz Socket LGA775, 8MB, BOXED w/fan
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ASUS P5Q SE2 iP45[/FONT]
    OCZ Gold XTC DDR2 PC6400 4096MB KIT, two 2048MB PC6400 XTC, CL5-5-5-15
    OCZ StealthXStream Powersupply ATX/EPS, 600W, 120mm Fan, 4/8pin CPU, 20/24pin
    XFX GeForce 8800GTS 500M 640MB GDDR3, PCI-Express, 2xDVI/HDTV/HDCP, 320-bit
    Thermaltake Armor Black, Aluminium Front

I'm wondering now would I be better to just upgrade my current PC rather than shelling out for an entire new one?

Is there a huge difference between the q6600 and the i7 cores? Also, would my current mobo be ok to put the 12gb ram onto?

Thanks for all of your help guys, really appreciate it :)

Thanks guys - that seems a lot better.

I already have the following PC:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz Socket LGA775, 8MB, BOXED w/fan
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ASUS P5Q SE2 iP45[/FONT]
    OCZ Gold XTC DDR2 PC6400 4096MB KIT, two 2048MB PC6400 XTC, CL5-5-5-15
    OCZ StealthXStream Powersupply ATX/EPS, 600W, 120mm Fan, 4/8pin CPU, 20/24pin
    XFX GeForce 8800GTS 500M 640MB GDDR3, PCI-Express, 2xDVI/HDTV/HDCP, 320-bit
    Thermaltake Armor Black, Aluminium Front

I'm wondering now would I be better to just upgrade my current PC rather than shelling out for an entire new one?

Is there a huge difference between the q6600 and the i7 cores? Also, would my current mobo be ok to put the 12gb ram onto?

Thanks for all of your help guys, really appreciate it :)

tbh its not a bad system you could ad 16gb of ram but it would have to be in 4gb sticks ddr2 and there very hard to find anything i could find was 5-600 euro and in my opinion if you ever go to sell your pc you will never see that money back what i would do is sell your current pc on adverts.ie and then go with the build i suggested

massy086 wrote: »
    tbh its not a bad system you could ad 16gb of ram but it would have to be in 4gb sticks ddr2 and there very hard to find anything i could find was 5-600 euro and in my opinion if you ever go to sell your pc you will never see that money back what i would do is sell your current pc on adverts.ie and then go with the build i suggested

Yea was actually just looking at it now and thinking I'll sell it and just upgrade. Slightly off topic, but do you think I might get 400 or 500 for my current setup maybe? Would take the sting out of the new one for sure.

Yea was actually just looking at it now and thinking I'll sell it and just upgrade. Slightly off topic, but do you think I might get 400 or 500 for my current setup maybe? Would take the sting out of the new one for sure.
    no i would of thought 3-350 tbh but try 4 ya never know lol

lol cool thanks man! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 decko69

SSD is no good for a DAW the have a limit on multipil in and out streams , so any DAW software will chew it up and spit it out , wait a while on that until they progress a littel with the technoligy , maybe a western digital do a sata 3hdd called the veloca raptor that is suposta be faster even than scssi hdd but be sure that your motherboard supports sata 3 as regards the motherboard im looking at the asus rampage 3 extreme , it supports the latest i7 chips so when the i7 extreem gets a littel cheeper you could upgrade to one of them , at the moment they are over a grand , chose this motherboard and you have a super fast pc that is also future proof for the next good few years

• Advertisement
Advertisement