Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot water pipes make banging noise

Options
  • 18-11-2010 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,

I'm living in an old house (about 20 yrs old) and every night the water pipes feeding into the radiators make a repetative banging noise. This seems to happen when they get very hot and also first thing in the morning when the come on.

Any ideas if anything can be done about this?

Is it purely down to the cold weather and poor insulation or could there be anything else causing this?

Could there be air trapped in the system? The rads seem to heat up ok from top to bottom.

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭hopalong_ie

Google Water Hammer for cause and solutions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 falsehope

Dont think it's water hammer that's more for open systems i.e supplying water to the water taps

This is happening in the closed water system suppling water from the tank to the radiators.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Sounds like expansion to me. Is the heating done in GB? There may be copper somewhere in between and this can cause the banging your talkin about. Seen it a couple of times where gb rotted under ground and was replaced with copper. They have different expansion temps. Usual symptoms include banging when heats is not long on and after going off when contracting.

Advertisement