Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband speeds.

• 18-11-2010 9:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I have a somewhat confusing tale to tell, and I hope someone can help me make sense of it.

To start I had my phone and broadband with Imagine for the last 18 months, firstly on a 3 meg package and then on 7 meg when it became available. While I was on the 7 meg package I never got 7, normally 3.5 meg to 4, or 4.5meg, on rare occasions it reached 5meg.

A couple of months ago someone from eircom called me asking me to return to them, offering me a good deal with phone and 7meg broadband. When I told her that my line speeds were normally 3 to 4 meg she said that my line was rated for 7meg, but was "orange" so I might not always get 7, but would certainly get an average of 5meg. I agreed to return, and they switched my phone but not my BB and after a war of words where they stated I had not asked to have my BB switched, I basically told them to shove it and moved to vodafone (up to 8 meg) which is where my story turns.

When my vodafone BB connection became active I notice it was substantially slower than it had been with imagine. Checking the router showed a connection speed of 2048. I emailed vodafone and received a reply stating:

"I have tested your line and the most you can get on your line is 2.05Mb." and,

"Your service is what is called ‘non standard delivery’, this is when the line cannot handle particularly high speeds."

Now I know that my line isn't 8 meg capable but I also know that it is certainly capable of more than 2.05 as I've had average speeds of around 4 meg. Now I assume they all use the same technology so can anyone give some idea of why vodafone can't supply me with the same speeds I had in the past?

I'm in a 12 month contract with vodafone and pretty frustrated now. Is there anyway I can get out of this contract as technically they are supplying what they advertise, up to 8meg just not 8..

Thanks,
    mossie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Been experiencing same problem for nearly a year now.

We were onto them all week looking for an engineer.

Is it true if a service provider doesn't deliver what is promised, they are breaking the contract so you can end it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭mossie

HxGH wrote: »
    Been experiencing same problem for nearly a year now.

We were onto them all week looking for an engineer.

Is it true if a service provider doesn't deliver what is promised, they are breaking the contract so you can end it?

They don't strictly promise 8 meg, just "up to" 8 meg which probably covers them in cases like this. I notice they don't reduce their charges for lower download speeds though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

mossie wrote: »
    They don't strictly promise 8 meg, just "up to" 8 meg which probably covers them in cases like this. I notice they don't reduce their charges for lower download speeds though.

MMMM... quite the predicament.

HxGH wrote: »
    MMMM... quite the predicament.

Does anyone know what "non standard delivery" means in relation to broadband / phone lines. Cannot see how vodafone can only give me 2 meg when I could get up to 7 meg with Imagine. All I get from vodafone is that my line is "non standard delivery".

To update. Since I wrote the original post my line speeds have now dropped to 1 meg and still nothing from vodafone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Recundis

Service providers use an eircom tool to pre qualify your line. This information is provided by eircom wholesale. If it says non standard delivery then it means you either have a long line or a split/shared line and its well a bit poo for broadband.

If you previously gotten 4.5 Meg from a different provider then thats really weird.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Anyone on dsl should know their line stats - this will give your your line capability - if you dont know what your line is capable of then all else is basically waffle.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

dub45 wrote: »
    Anyone on dsl should know their line stats - this will give your your line capability - if you dont know what your line is capable of then all else is basically waffle.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

All I know is that with Imagine my download speeds were averaging 3.5 to 4 meg, now vodafone have me on a 1 meg package. The line is the same, the router the same, the download speeds are a quarter of what they were.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

mossie wrote: »
    All I know is that with Imagine my download speeds were averaging 3.5 to 4 meg, now vodafone have me on a 1 meg package. The line is the same, the router the same, the download speeds are a quarter of what they were.

Do you know your current line stats?

If you know those then you can pursure your argument with Vodafone on an informed basis.

Line stats are not fixed they can vary through damage, water seepage etc etc.

dub45 wrote: »
    Do you know your current line stats?

If you know those then you can pursure your argument with Vodafone on an informed basis.

Line stats are not fixed they can vary through damage, water seepage etc etc.

I would consider the fact that I was receiving 4 meg from imagine a few hours before reciving 2 meg (now 1 meg) from Vodafone enough to pursue the matter

• Advertisement
Advertisement