Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway Bay FM

• 18-11-2010 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I have to listen to this bloody station in my new workplace and wanted to rant about it. Jimmy Norman reminds me not of the playground bully, but of the kind of twerp who followed the bully around, guffawing at his every utterance. So far this week he's treated us to his comedy "Polish" accent, upbraided the students for having the temerity to protest, repeatedly tongued Bossman Finnegan's (imagine if, in addition to presenting Radio 1's flagship current affairs show, Pat Kenny also owned the state broadcaster) ass and, this being his favorite, cruel bastard that he is, taken every opportunity to promote the video of Bridie Greene's interview. Last week the gombeen even played a clip of Alan Partridge, oblivious to the resemblance in character between his bald-headed, truculent self and the erstwhile Radio Norwich un-personality.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It's been done before in another thread (I think over in the Galway City forum), but you're not alone in your hate! I must agree, the love-in with Finnegan (we'll also be talking to... we'll also be talking to... we'll also be talking to...) after the news at 9 is particularly cringeworthy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Galway Bay Fm is reflective of galway as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Fuinseog wrote: »
    Galway Bay Fm is reflective of galway as a whole.

Nope. Just the people who listen to ****e Irish country music and listen to teh death notices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

As poor a station as it is, it pitches itself towards its target audience. A large proportion of the population in Galway is rural, and a large portion of their audience want to listen to Finnegan guffawing with Frank Fahey, Mick Flavin singing about his lovely new tractor, and 10 minutes of death notices.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Sergeant wrote: »
    As poor a station as it is, it pitches itself towards its target audience. A large proportion of the population in Galway is rural, and a large portion of their audience want to listen to Finnegan guffawing with Frank Fahey, Mick Flavin singing about his lovely new tractor, and 10 minutes of death notices.

Unfortunately that is very true, but the listenership in Galway doesn't have any alternative to local issues being covered on local radio.

Therefore Keith ("indeed - in relation - indeed - to the -indeed - situation - indeed") Finnegan and co can sit pretty in the knowledge that the listeners will take what they get in the absence of any real competition.

So we get Tom Gilmore's news reports from Tuam in the style of someone who learning how to read, and Bernadette Prendergast reading every news bulletin sounding as though the HSE were pulling out of Galway once and for all, rounding up by telling the listener "Your'e up to daysh with Galway Bay FM".

Jimmy Norman is very annoying but his constant preaching about careless driving and telling everyone to drive carefully often borders on insulting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

GBFM is truly offensive to anyone under the age of 50.

thank feck for iradio.

barryd09 wrote: »
    GBFM is truly offensive to anyone under the age of 50.

thank feck for iradio.

Ah but, did you not hear Keith "indeed - in relation to the situation - indeed" Finnegan's massive outside broadcast yesterday. The second hourror of his show came from a memorial garden in Queens College, UCG, NUIG, the car park off the Newcastle road in Galway.

For someone in a memorial garden he was well able to talk above the crowd (indeed).
    He closed his show with the usual thanks to a half a dozen priests and clapped out nuns as he mentioned (a plug) that you could hear "a lovely Mass" every week in this place, in less than 20 mins.

Bit sad really considering that Galway Bay FM charge genuine charities airtime for a mention on Finnegan Catholic Daily.

In the name of indeed,
    And in relation to Mass,
    And of the situation,
    Amen and again and again and again and..... !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Who does the traffic report in the morning? Does he report on himself casusing the traffic, like he did this morning. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

My outlaws inlaws listen to it religously and take everything on it as gospel
    Their life experiences seem to centre around it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

The only time I'd have it on is for a GAA match.

You'd want to see this guy this morning on his big motorbike with 6 or 7 cars behind him. I should have taken a photo. :(

• Advertisement

Starie1975 wrote: »

You'd want to see this guy this morning on his big motorbike with 6 or 7 cars behind him. I should have taken a photo. :(

What was he at ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭Sam Tyler

Ive reallly enjoyed reading everyones posts heres!
    The funny thing my folks have galway bay fm on in background now im waiting with baited breath for the 30 mins of news and death notices.

Totally agreee with the op about breakfast show cant stand it.
    It on in our house a lot so cant help but listen. One morning someone was covering breakfast and they did a link in which they spoke about eastenders and what was happing i thought they were a fan. Next thing he goes on to say how he never watched a single episode! wtf!!

Terrible terrible show.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Starie1975 wrote: »

Same here - it sounds and acts like its listnership are living in the 1960's :rolleyes:

Advertisement