Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loft Ladder - which is better quality

• 18-11-2010 9:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

just looking for some advice. buying a loft ladder at the weekend. Was planning on getting a Fakro one, but I see on Woodies that they have this one:
    linky

Its €70 cheaper than the Fakro one. Is it crap? would I be worth spending the extra few quid and buying this one:

It will not be getting heavy use, just the occasional trip to the attic - I would envisage it being used once or twice a month at most.

opinions??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Little Ted wrote: »
    Hi there,

just looking for some advice. buying a loft ladder at the weekend. Was planning on getting a Fakro one, but I see on Woodies that they have this one:
    linky

Its €70 cheaper than the Fakro one. Is it crap? would I be worth spending the extra few quid and buying this one:

It will not be getting heavy use, just the occasional trip to the attic - I would envisage it being used once or twice a month at most.

opinions??

My carpenter installed a Fakro ladder in my main attic,and also an aluminium space saving sliding ladder in my extension attic.

The fakro is a good solid attic ladder and it is a good one,well made and folds up nice and easy too.Good value too,got it in Heaton Bukleys Builders suppliers last June for 99 euro..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

paddy147 wrote: »
    My carpenter installed a Fakro ladder in my main attic,and also an aluminium space saving sliding ladder in my extension attic.

The fakro is a good solid attic ladder and it is a good one,well made and folds up nice and easy too.Good value too,got it in Heaton Bukleys Builders suppliers last June for 99 euro..:)

Totally agree, you will buy a Fakro ladder in any good hardware for around €100

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

Have Fakro and they are great, would be lost without it, would also recommned getting your attic floored or part of it when you have the carpenter round to fit the ladder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

we already have the attic floored out - was like that when we bought the house.

Heiton Buckleys don't do Fakro so they say. They said they never have, the brand they do is Dolle. Its €133 inc VAT.

Brooks have one for €99 inc VAT, or woodies have another brand for €110

I know Fakro are good....my question is, are they that much better that it is worth spending an extra €70-80? does any one have experience of the Brooks own brand one, or the one for €110 in Woodies?

that extra €70 quid would pay 70% of the carpenter's fee to install it! so if it can be saved that would be brilliant. I just don't want to buy one of the cheaper ones and find its a false economy.

anyone out there have experience of the Woodies one or the Brooks one?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Both are very good ladders.
    The linky one dimensions are 118x58
    The fakro one dimensions are 120x60

Fakro slightly bigger. 58cm wide is usually for truss roof
    60cm for traditional cut roof

North West

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

Be carefull when buying own brand attic ladders (and some known brands). The display models on the shop floors are usually better constructed than the one you will be given from the stores. Most of the display models would use box metal hinges and bolts while the one you actually buy will have strip mental hinges. This type of hinge is fine as long as they are secured with bolts and nuts that 'grab' the wood

You will find a particularly bad example of this is in Goodwins Builders Providers. At the moment they are dong a 'deal' (€99) on an attic ladder that uses strip metel hinges with wood screws holding them in - no bolts are used. This particular ladder also comes with it's spring mechanisim serperate and needs to be attached to the ladder by the installer. These screws will come loose and the spring mechanisim will stick out above the attic hatch when it is in use. It's a disgrace that they sell these becuase most of the time they will be bought and installed by a builder/carpenter and most users would be unaware of the difference in quality. I have seen this type of ladder come loose at the hinges within days becuase of the use of screws instead of bolts.

Just have a good look at it before you take it away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

tbh, I've used a lot of the Brooks branded products and I've never had a problem with any of their stuff. Not the stairs though.

we to go with the brooks one - on a (admittedly inexperienced) inspection I couldn't see any difference with the fakro one.
    Guy coming tomorrow to fit, so will get him to double check it before going ahead bearing in mind what D1gger advises.
    Hopefully it will do the trick - €80 is €80 afterall, and come Tuesday I reckon we'll all need to be watching our pennies!
    thanks everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Neds_K

Hey Little Ted,
    How'd you get on with the Brooks Loft Ladder. Planning on looking for one tomorrow. Ta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Hi folks

I to am thinking of buying a loft ladder.... I want a really good one so at the moment i am thinking "stighre"

Am i mad...

Is there cheaper and better....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

Hi folks

... I want a really good one so at the moment i am thinking "stighre"

does "she" too wear a helmet and white boilersuit ?? it off to the gaeltacht with you when the snow clears:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Neds_K

Hey again,
    Got a Facro Loft Ladder from Chadwick's for E99:D.

hey all - got the Brooks one installed last Monday. Really happy with it, very sturdy and secure. Carpenter did a great job on the install as he needed to open up the attic access more etc. Ladder was €99, install was €80. I'm very happy with how it turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ciaranamhain

I've been fitting them for 25 yrs all kinds of make and model, I choose Fakro whenever possible, great quality and value. Don't pay more than €100. (they used to be about €250 a few years ago)

Advertisement