Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord - issues - Power going out every few days

Options
  • 18-11-2010 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

Hello

Alrite so i got this problem, Myself and two friends have moved into a place in ballybrack for college, When we first moved in the power went the second day we were staying there and we had to run the house of a generator thing from the landlords house which is right beside our's.

First of all the electricity in our house run's on some card system we buy 5 euro cards slot them into the box and the credit goes up then ticks down as its used.

The box is outside the house when im told they are meant to be inside, There is also a second box inside the house which the land lord told me it was an old one and the one outside is the newer box, But if the box inside the house which is also a card system runs out of credit the power goes off.
    He gave us about 1000-1500 euro's worth of cards for the box inside the house.

So trouble started back in septemeber when the power went the day we started college came home no power, we got onto the land lord he got an electrician guy out i dont know what he done with the box, but we got our power back on , When we first moved in our box went through roughly 90c - 1 euro a day, we checked it every day the first week to see how much we were using.

The power went again randomly going into negative credit on the box going up 2500 euro in debt showing up on the little screen on the box. We got onto the land lord again , he got this guy out again who i do not think is from the esb. After he "fixed it" the second or 3rd time we could no longer see how much debt was on the box.

After this the power usuage shot throught he rough it started to eat our electricity cards going through 10-20 quid over night and its still doing this.
    it went from a euro a day to over 10 euro a day to have power on if we put our heating on our credit will be gone even quicker.

This has been going on since septemeber the land lord hasnt done a thing about it ive talked to him about it an insane amount of time's the house gets so cold now its actually warmer outside.

He told once when i had a big talk with him over it that he was having someone from the esb coming out to replace the box and that never happened we rang the esb with his esb number and his name from the card we have to buy credit, and they told us the house is in debt of over 2 grand.

So what can we do he isnt fixing the power situation he's done nothing but phob us of and ignore our calls and its costing around 10 euro a day to have power on in the house, He was putting 50-60 quid in the for a the last 3 weeks prior to this week but has stopped and now its costing us money we dont have.

What can we do ?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Tell him to fix it or pack your backs. You can also check threshold for disputes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Give him a deadline; tell him that if its not fixed in the next 10 days or something like that you will be expecting him to arrive with your deposit cheque back as the house is not in a habitible state. Its a threat you are fully entitled to follow thru on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Lone Stone wrote: »
    Hello

Alrite so i got this problem, Myself and two friends have moved into a place in ballybrack for college, When we first moved in the power went the second day we were staying there and we had to run the house of a generator thing from the landlords house which is right beside our's.

First of all the electricity in our house run's on some card system we buy 5 euro cards slot them into the box and the credit goes up then ticks down as its used.

The box is outside the house when im told they are meant to be inside, There is also a second box inside the house which the land lord told me it was an old one and the one outside is the newer box, But if the box inside the house which is also a card system runs out of credit the power goes off.
    He gave us about 1000-1500 euro's worth of cards for the box inside the house.

So trouble started back in septemeber when the power went the day we started college came home no power, we got onto the land lord he got an electrician guy out i dont know what he done with the box, but we got our power back on , When we first moved in our box went through roughly 90c - 1 euro a day, we checked it every day the first week to see how much we were using.

The power went again randomly going into negative credit on the box going up 2500 euro in debt showing up on the little screen on the box. We got onto the land lord again , he got this guy out again who i do not think is from the esb. After he "fixed it" the second or 3rd time we could no longer see how much debt was on the box.

After this the power usuage shot throught he rough it started to eat our electricity cards going through 10-20 quid over night and its still doing this.
    it went from a euro a day to over 10 euro a day to have power on if we put our heating on our credit will be gone even quicker.

This has been going on since septemeber the land lord hasnt done a thing about it ive talked to him about it an insane amount of time's the house gets so cold now its actually warmer outside.

He told once when i had a big talk with him over it that he was having someone from the esb coming out to replace the box and that never happened we rang the esb with his esb number and his name from the card we have to buy credit, and they told us the house is in debt of over 2 grand.

So what can we do he isnt fixing the power situation he's done nothing but phob us of and ignore our calls and its costing around 10 euro a day to have power on in the house, He was putting 50-60 quid in the for a the last 3 weeks prior to this week but has stopped and now its costing us money we dont have.

What can we do ?

you living in a shed???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Ring the ESB yourselves and say that you have concerns about safety in light of what has happened. They will come out and investigate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ESB CS: Chris

Hi Lone Stone,

We have a Talk to ESB section here on boards, where we can help with queries like this.

I will need some additional information that will help me to look into this matter for you.

Could you please pm me your account number, address, and contact telephone number.

Many thanks
    Chris

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ESB CS: Chris

Hi Lone Stone,

Thanks for your PM.

I have just replied to you in relation to this matter.

Many thanks
    Chris

Advertisement