Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Getting an Xbox 360 S Arcade

• 18-11-2010 9:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

I'm going to get an Xbox 360 S Arcade soon, but do I need the Elite version with 250GB? This will be my first Xbox 360 so I'm not sure the benefit of the hard drive. I know you can install games which will speed up load times, but is it worth the extra cost? I won't be using online services or want to store any media on the xbox. I could get an old style Xbox 20gb HDD off of ebay for ~€20 and use that, which would allow me to install 1 or 2 games I might use regularly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

First of all, the 20GB HD won't work, doesn't fit the new console. Secondly, personally I say an extra €50 for 246GB isn't the worst, whether or not you think you'll use the space immediately, better to have it than find you need it.

I couldn't see the logic behind installing games at all and found it annoyed the hell out of me that they take so long but now I can't tolerate playing an uninstalled game as even the slim emits a lovely whir when the disc is in use. Also you reduce the chances of laser burn by installing and can usually counter-act a scratched disc with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

I saw a a video of a guy using an old Xbox 20gb HDD in a new slim. He just opened up the case of the old HDD and carefully inserted into the slim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

True, forgot about that. More importantly, after buying the HD from eBay and that, is the €30 you've saved worth it instead of getting a 250GB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

niallon wrote: »
    First of all, the 20GB HD won't work, doesn't fit the new console. Secondly, personally I say an extra €50 for 246GB isn't the worst, whether or not you think you'll use the space immediately, better to have it than find you need it.

You can buy enclosures to fit the slim, and then swap. You can get 250GB of storage for ...around €47 later on if you find your 4GB space isn't up to much. Or you could shell out the extra €50 at the start and not worry. Up to you OP :)

Advertisement