Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To TTC or not to TTC?

Options
  • 18-11-2010 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭

I would love to hear your opinions please.

I have a 3 week dose of the flu so have to bite he bullet & go to the GP tomorrow, most likely I'll be given an antibiotic.

The problem is, I'm due to ovulate any day now. Would it be a bad idea to TTC?

It might not be related at all, but when I had the miss a few months ago, I had a flu soon after I conceived.
    At the time I wasn't aware I was pregnant, and to try prevent spreading the flu to my daughter, I took paracetomol every 4-6 hours.
    I know they can never give a concise reason why you might have miscarried, so I can only wonder.

I will ask the gp tomorrow anyway, but I would be interested in opinions please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Leax

Hi caprilicious,
    what have your symptoms been for the last 3 weeks?
    If you have a 'flu you won't be prescribed antibiotics as it's a virus.
    If you have a bacterial infection and are on antibiotics there's no reason not to ttc, but just run your concern by the doc and he/she will reassure you. The miscarriage wouldn't be related to the paracetomal, it is safe to take during pregnancy. As an aside paracetomal wouldn't prevent the transmission of a virus to someone else, it just helps with the symptoms. If you are ttc at the moment I wouldn't miss this month based on what you've described.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Thanks a mill for the reply Leax, I really appreciate your advice.
    I did feel guilty that I may have contributed to the cause of my miscarriage by overdoing it on the paracetomol. I never usually take painkillers/antibiotics & took none at all during my previous pregnancy. I think as a result I put 2 + 2 together and got 10.

I can never figure out the difference between flu/cold/virus :o I'm not coughing, just very run down, constantly blocked sinuses and when I blow my nose its green (sorry tmi :o) which I'm guessing is infection, my ears are constantly ringing and sore & my throat is sore.

I was very lucky to become pregnant the first two times very fast, but since the miscarriage its not happening so soon. I suppose I am a little anxious with it taking longer this time, just in case.

I would hate the opportunity to miss trying this month, especially as I am so ridiculously hormonal (crying at Coronation st AND Fair City tongith :o:rolleyes:) & was this hormonal the last times I was lucky enough to get pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Hey Cap,

Antibiotics and paracetamol definately would not have had any bearing on your last pregnancy. We always look for reasons as to why our little angels didn't make it, and its not having an answer that is so hard to digest and that is why we look for anything to blame for the loss of a pregnancy. There was no reason for the loss of your last pregnancy. There was nothing you did to cause the pregnancy and nothing you could have done to prevent the loss. Unfortunately, and very cruelly, it is just one of those things. Just life being a mean old b1tch!

I 100% believe that if you aren't ready 'upstairs' to conceive, then it won't happen downstairs. Maybe you need to give yourself a little more time to come to terms with your loss and accept the fact that there was nothing you could do.

I certainly wouldn't put off ttc this month even if you are given a course of antibiotics. Look how many people conceive whilst on the pill as they are put on a course of antibiotics. It will have no effect on your fertility or the little embryo should you be lucky this month.

I'll be keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you and I hope you feel better soon x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Thanks for the reply also CCL.

I think I need to drop my search for 'why' from the miscarriage, as its one of those things that will never be answered & I think I'll only have my brain addled if I continue to try and figure it out!

I told my GP I was TTC & she prescribed me an antibiotic safe to use. I tried my ovulation test & got a very VERY feint line on it, so going to take advantage of my husband tonight and fingers crossed might get the elusive positive pregnancy test soon :)

Thanks also for the reassurance about the antibiotic, I suppose I'm overly cautious about that kind of thing, but you're right loads of people take stuff like that when they don't know they're pregnant & have perfectly healthy babies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

LAdies can we please refrain from using codes from other sites, they are not to be used the same with text speak. I have been editing posts for the last month and if it keeps up there will be yellow cards handed out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement