Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone noticed...

• 18-11-2010 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭

That Chemistry is just some dude coming along every 100 years or so and saying "EVERYTHING IS WRAWNG ITS ALL WRAWNG THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY" and all that gets implemented and ground breaking research takes place yet people still have to learn the shíte thatcame before it and is totally wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Chemistry is ridiculous for that especially at JC.

Bohr had most of his **** wrong but your going to learn it like gospel until 5th year comes and you have to unlearn all of it but still keep bits and pieces for every now and again when we need it! When you get to college, that will probably turn out to be wrong too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Chemistry is ridiculous for that especially at JC.

Bohr had most of his **** wrong but your going to learn it like gospel until 5th year comes and you have to unlearn all of it but still keep bits and pieces for every now and again when we need it! When you get to college, that will probably turn out to be wrong too!

You dont unlearn it all, you have to remember it all just in case it comes up while also remebering the theories of everyone that came beore him and everyone that has come since . . .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭grinds

I get your point but maybe it's the stuff that was wrong that directs us to new developments, new discoveries, new theories... Call it evolution, progress or whatever... Basically you learn from your mistakes.. In order to develop new theories we have to learn the "mistakes" made in the past and move forwards...

Since your talking about leaving cert chemistry.. Take Thompson's Plum Pudding model of the nucleus... Sounds stupid now but without it Rutherford wouln't have carried out the gold foil experiment... the structure of the atom would never have been discovered... electricity would never have been understood... computers and the circuits within would never have been developed... boards.ie would never have existed... You can thabk Thompson and his plum pudding model for posting here today...

So go and open up Chemistry Live... learn from these mistakes.. Only then will you be able to make some groundbreaking mistakes of your own someday. Good luck!:)

grinds wrote: »
    So go and open up Chemistry Live... learn from these mistakes.. Only then will you be able to make some groundbreaking mistakes of your own someday. Good luck!:)

That would be fine if it wasnt for he fact that my chemistry teacher (who is very good) has to point out every 2 pages a mistake that was acceptable 10 years ago but you will now lose marks on in the exam . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I did my Chemistry exam last year, I despised the subject for two years and I still do. Fair enough we should get an overview of the mistakes and then learn how they were disproved, but forcing everyone to rote learn every single failed chemical theory in existence is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

That would be fine if it wasnt for he fact that my chemistry teacher (who is very good) has to point out every 2 pages a mistake that was acceptable 10 years ago but you will now lose marks on in the exam . . .

One example please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Uh the whole of question 5 on the 2010 paper? F*cking ridiculous.

I just don't get why your chemistry teacher would be constantly pointing out stuff in your textbook that is now wrong and would lose you marks in your exam?? All the books i know of have been approved by the dept. of education and others shouldn't worry that the content in them is incorrect.

Good luck with it anyway!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Department of Education doesn't approve any text books in Ireland.

One example please?

Most recent one:

Radiation, beta particles, when

4He is emitted after the particle breaks down, the book says just 4He
    2...........................................................................................2

Our teacher siad that last year in the reviewed scripts anyone who worte that got no marks, but several years ago they did. In order to get the marks you had to write

......+2
    4He

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Same thing with Daltons Atomic Theory.
    The 3 things given in the book were:
    • All matter is made up of tiny particles called atoms
    • Atoms are indivisible
    • Atoms can neither be created or destroyed

The last one you did not get marks for if you put it down in the exam.

For the flame test, it would only accept platinum wire/nichrome wire, soaked wooden splint was not in the marking scheme.

For the flame test, it would only accept platinum wire/nichrome wire, soaked wooden splint was not in the marking scheme.

What schools can actually afford platinum wire these days??!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Most recent one:

2...........................................................................................2

Our teacher siad that last year in the reviewed scripts anyone who worte that got no marks, but several years ago they did. In order to get the marks you had to write

......+2
    4He

Because something is printed in a book doesn't mean it's right. Also marking schemes are adjusted from year to year to keep grades in line from year to year. If there were too many A grades last year, then it is decided at the marking conference to only accept specific answers. This is probably what happened here.

Because something is printed in a book doesn't mean it's right. Also marking schemes are adjusted from year to year to keep grades in line from year to year. If there were too many A grades last year, then it is decided at the marking conference to only accept specific answers. This is probably what happened here.

You misunderstood me. What i'm saying is that every year up until last year that example was accepted, the papers in question when viewed were actually seen to have been recorrected and marked up to increase the number of a's, but some of these examples were still marked wrong as they will not accept some answers anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

You misunderstood me. What i'm saying is that every year up until last year that example was accepted, the papers in question when viewed were actually seen to have been recorrected and marked up to increase the number of a's, but some of these examples were still marked wrong as they will not accept some answers anymore.

Without knowing what happened at the marking conference it's impossible to say. Even if the scheme was changed and other questions marked up as you say, it could have been the case that those questions were changed because they were the most popular ones. i.e. it's pointless changing the marking scheme on a question that hardly anyone is attempting etc etc.

I think you'd have to see it next year if there was a similar question to see if that's the new acceptable answer or if it was just a once off. It may also have been the case that grades weren't high enough in previous years and the less detailed answer was accepted.

The cynic in me would say that the 2002 paper (the first year the syllabus was examined) was very straightforward and easy in order to get the syllabus off to a flying start with good results and no major problems. A difficult paper would have given the subject negative publicity. There have certainly been more difficult papers since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

That Chemistry is just some dude coming along every 100 years or so and saying "EVERYTHING IS WRAWNG ITS ALL WRAWNG THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY" and all that gets implemented and ground breaking research takes place yet people still have to learn the shíte thatcame before it and is totally wrong?

It is much easier to understand something when you know the theory that led to its discovery.

Most recent one:

......+2
    4He

When a Beta particle is emmited you should never write down 4He
    2.. You write this down when describing the emission of an alpha particle... A Beta particle is a fast moving electron... not a Helium nucleus.

I'm not sure what your teacher is on about... If you write He with a mass number of 4 and an atomic number of 2 describing the emmission of an alpha particle you are correct... What's in Chemistry Live is 100% correct so students shouldn't worry about this

When a Beta particle is emmited you should never write down 4He
    2.. You write this down when describing the emission of an alpha particle... A Beta particle is a fast moving electron... not a Helium nucleus.

I'm not sure what your teacher is on about... If you write He with a mass number of 4 and an atomic number of 2 describing the emmission of an alpha particle you are correct... What's in Chemistry Live is 100% correct so students shouldn't worry about this

Oops meant alpha particle!! I obviously havent learned it properly yet!!!

But what i am saying is if you do not include the charge of the heliem you don't get the marks but in the book it never mentions this.

Oops meant alpha particle!! I obviously havent learned it properly yet!!!

But what i am saying is if you do not include the charge of the heliem you don't get the marks but in the book it never mentions this.

Sounds crazy to me... I'd double check that.. If you write an alpha particle as 4/2He ...i.e. Helium with a mass number of 4 and an atomic number of 2 you will get your marks... I'd certainly question anyone who told you different..

Advertisement