Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2X10 Resurgance (Spoilers)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I always plan on not watching these cliffhanger episodes until the second part is out so I'm not waiting for it to comeback but it never really works out :D
    Liked it apart from Telford just appearing out of nowhere to save the day, we all knew he would pop up again but I had hoped it would be a little more original.

It's also gone to the stage where I don't just think Chloe is a dull character but I actually hate any scene she is in, out the airlock with her and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Enjoyed this episode a lot. Lots of action, tension, some stargate humour and a hell of a cliffhanger. Still found time for a chat between Eli & Rush and got Telford back. Probably my favourite episode of the season. Not another mid-season break, bollix!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

I really liked it. SG:1 type action, with (mostly) SG:U type realism. 10 times more exciting knowing a familiar face can be killed off meaninglessly. Really thought Brody was going to be killed going from one ship to the next. Trying not to get too excited about the next episode though as Stargate does have a fairly poor record with cliff hanger resolutions
    hightower1 wrote: »
    Does anyone else think at this point they need to start having faith in Destiny itself? I mean the coarse it sets out for them brings them to everything they need and straying from it has led to nothing as far as I can recall thats good? I mean at this stage you'd get the hint and realize destiny is far "smarter" than they are giving it credit for.

Destiny, if it is somewhat sentient is focused on completing the mission. It probably wouldn't want to help the crew try to find a way home so they need to do that themselves.
    Elohim wrote: »
    Those other little aliens are sly buggers, a double-cross before a double-cross!
    I don't know what they expect to achieve though, they knew Destiny wasn't in good shape before that final battle.

As Telford said, they were desperate. They knew the humans wanted to double cross them, so this was the only chance they had to launch any sort of attack on the command ship. Attack now with Destiny in bad shape, or attack later when destiny can just run away.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

It's also gone to the stage where I don't just think Chloe is a dull character but I actually hate any scene she is in, out the airlock with her and be done with it.

madness. I'm loving the Chloe thing. Can't wait to see how it develops.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

When does 11 air in the US?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Not announced yet.
    Unfortunately the ratings were low. around the 1.091 mil mark. So instead of the mid-season finale bringing in more viewers which would be expected, it basically just stuck to the season 2 average of 1.1 mil.
    Only saving grace is that it got .5 in the 18-49 demo which is actually pretty good and the median age came down 3 years to 43.

I loved this episode. Not looking forward to waiting this long to see what happens though. Here's hoping we won't have to wait that long. I fear this mid-season break will effectively kill the show

April seems very far off right now. I did enjoy the episode but it didn't have me as on edge with the last cliff-hanger. There's an interesting article about the science-fact(ish) background to the pattern in the background radiation here:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2010/12/stargate-universe-roger-penrose-and-the-time-before-time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Great episode imo, good pacing and space battles. Honestly didnt expect the seed ship to come along and when it did it was pretty class. Some really nice shots of Destiny and the seed ship going through the stars corona.

I would like to see Destiny and the seed ship pull out of this situ and end up working together for the mission etc. Perhaps in the format of travelling a few hours ftl apart in case of emergencies investigating possible recourses / leads between them yet close enough to aid each other should needs be. Would be a nice writing platform to set up stories / space battles while furthering the strength of Telfords / Youngs bond on somewhat equal footing in terms of both of them being in command of ships of their own. Would give a nice Optimus / Rodimus dynamic. (Nerd points: leveled up!).

This ep is how the standard SGU ep should be, people watch sci fi shows for tech, space ships, space battles, action and hot alien chicks... this had it all bar the last and why it was an excellent ep. If you ask me the reasons the rating are pretty crap is because yes people are busy and there is a lot of competition for our first time run viewing time. As I have said before we get 3 or 4 boring episodes to get to ones like this ep. People are not prepared to wait for regular viewings at prime time for a one in 4 chance it will be a good episode. As far as i am concerned sgu getting a 2 season notice would be excellent, writers would condense all the filler by folding their story developments into good eps like this one. Sure it would be 2 seasons then done ... but it would be 2 seasons of every ep being good like this. The same has happed with other shows before and should happen here otherwise we can have 5 seasons of the usual 4 filler for 1 good which is getting older than destiny at this stage. Its painfully obvious that using that format is artificially attempting to draw out the story. If you dont have the budget or writing skill to keep the quality consistent from episode to episode dont bore and insult the audience by having them put up the rollercoaster that is filler episodes leading to high quality episodes.

Inidividually though this was a great ep I just hope someone gets the stick out and realizes the hard truth... 3/4's of these episodes are borning, slow and arent good sci fi. They need to have every episode contain more action, tech, ship to ship conflict and make significant steps forward to explain the mission / destiny. If they cant face these facts (and they pain me as a longtime stargate fan) the show will not make it , end up being given next to no notice of canx and be wrapped up in a terribly rushed way. Better they get notice of reasonable length, the episode consistency gets way better and the show wraps leaving good memories and possible follow ups because of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

great post hightower especially this bit :D
    hightower1 wrote: »
    This ep is how the standard SGU ep should be, people watch sci fi shows for tech, space ships, space battles, action and hot alien chicks... this had it all bar the last and why it was an excellent ep.
    this is why BSG was so great. loads of action, space battles, and Tricia Helfer :D

thought this episode was great, really good especially compared with the rest of the season so far.
    thought it was a bit cheesy with Telford saying that he's got a good story to tell, oh come on :rolleyes:

seed ship and destiny going into the star looked so cool, though why didn't the destiny crew think of that? and how did telford know what to do immediately when he jumped out of FTL? he had only caught up with them and jumped into the fray to save their asses. nice to see him back though

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The episode was decent aside from the verrrry clunky bit of story-telling when Telford returned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Thought it was good enough, but didn't the drones nearly all of them blow up following destiny into the suns corona? How many can be left?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Was thinking that myself Phil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

That probally wasn't all the drones that were in the mine field. Destiny only used a small number of each in the simulation but they said that there were hundreds of dead ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

**can a Mod please add a poll**

"i dont care english, ancient or bat-signal" lol:D

excellent episode exactly what youd expect from a show like this, its true there to many off episodes in this show, but when it good its good,

must say chloe isnt boring anymore, at least not the last two episodes, shes really grown, having prooper conversations doing what youd expect an person being taken over by an alien to do, i dont think she contacted any aliens, but rather shes after doing something that will help destiny fight the drones or get the FTL back on-line,

ya there were loads of drones at the graveyard, then destiny dropped out right in frontiof the command ship, which had another few hundred drones, good idea though to constantly make the drones follow you into a sun, that is by far the best tactic ever, and this show has made a ploy that allows it, what are the bets itll never happen again :rolleyes:

still excellent episode, hopefully itll return to fridays with more viewers in the new year,

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

don ramo wrote: »

"i dont care english, ancient or bat-signal" lol:D

Loved that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

There is a distinct lack of poll happening in this poll-less thread.

Regardless, it would get a firm average from me as not a whole lot really happened. Maybe I need to watch it again but it certainly felt very boring, especially for an episode with lots of 'splodey bits in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Thought it was a good ep. Didn't feel there was a great cliffhanger.

Having to wait until April though :eek: I didn't realize it would be so long.

Yeah I like having polls for ep threads too actually :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I wish the mid-season and end of season cliff hangers wouldn't be so obviously misleading. It looks like the Destiny is about to be destroyed, which obviously is not going to happen, so it's not really that much of a cliff hanger. Ones involving the people themselves are always better, as in if they had a situation where one or a group of the people were in imminent danger. With the entire show hanging on this particular cliff hanger, it's simply not in any way worrying.

That aside, I thought it was OK. Telford turning up having made friends with the new aliens wasn't really unsurprising. The double-cross wasn't much of a surprise either.

Interesting new enemy, that just seem to attack everything that comes near them. What's their deal, I wonder? Is there even any live beings on the command ship, or is it all an automated system that's been left on long after the people that designed it are gone? If there are aliens on it, then they're obviously not very friendly.

3/5 over all.

Yeah the mid-season cliff hanger last season was great with Rush left on the planet

red dave wrote: »
    Yeah the mid-season cliff hanger last season was great with Rush left on the planet
    yeah but you knew he would be back, theres always certain carcaters that you know will never be killed, the only stargate ones that surprised me were dr fraiser, and weir, maybe beckett also, but the first two were kinda unexpected, the only real surprise i could see here is if they actually kill chloe,
    young, scott, greer, wray, rush, eli, all safe no harm will come to them, maybe a few others,

you know the crew will be safe, im alway more interested on what way this episode will shape the rest of the series, now that they are kinda friends with the new aliens, even though the double cross, they were desperate so i can see it being overlooked, they really do need to get the lay of the land, these aliens offer that,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Pretty good episode. Space battles and plot progression, but too little too late? Probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

couple of funny one-liners being thrown in like the bat signal, the pies are done, etc in the last couple of episodes. let's hope they throw a bit more in and keep things moving along.

nothing beats some space battles so good to see this.

i don't think season 2 has been good enough so far to warrant a cliff hanger though. the fans deserve more. it's still only plodding along with mediocre storys.

Random wrote: »
    couple of funny one-liners being thrown in like the bat signal, the pies are done, etc in the last couple of episodes. let's hope they throw a bit more in and keep things moving along.

nothing beats some space battles so good to see this.

i don't think season 2 has been good enough so far to warrant a cliff hanger though. the fans deserve more. it's still only plodding along with mediocre storys.
    ya the one liners kinda show they are after addressing the humour issue, hopefully its the start of a good run of solid episodes, i really hope fans are communicating and letting SG-1 and Atlantis fans know that SGU could finally be worth getting into,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Last few episodes have been much better. Still one of the best shows on tv by a long way. Robert Carlyle is some actor. Still scratch my head and wonder how they managed to pull off the coup of having him in this :D

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Last few episodes have been much better. Still one of the best shows on tv by a long way. Robert Carlyle is some actor. Still scratch my head and wonder how they managed to pull off the coup of having him in this :D

Agree completely with you on that. When I first saw him in it I thought it would just be as a guest appearance for a few episodes. The cliffhanger last season I thought "ah, that's the end of his appearances". Delighted to be proved wrong on all counts (so far).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Don't know what to say about it. Still wondering why they chose to forget about Telford..especially after they discovered the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Don't know what to say about it. Still wondering why they chose to forget about Telford..especially after they discovered the bridge.
    at that point it wouldve been so far out of their way and, given the way in which that transpired, they didn't know if the seeder ship would even still be there (correct) or if Telford was in any way alive.

Advertisement