Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast-Dublin M1 road border control

Options
  • 18-11-2010 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi Guys,not sure if this is the best place to ask this question, but consider many of you must be in trip to north every second week.

I have a very important supplier (He's NON EU) is planing to visit our company in Dublin and catch a plane back at Dublin Airport on the second day, he'll land in belfast Intl airport ,currently he's only holding a UK Visa. we'll need to drive the company car up to the north to pick him up from there.

the question is..... have any of you ever see a border check on the A1/M1 motorway when entering the republic from north of the border when cops can pull him out to get the documents checked? if that's been the case, I have ask him to change his flight asap.

appreciate your input on this.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

No, theres is no checking. You travel on the one motorway while crossing the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

delly wrote: »
    No, theres is no checking. You travel on the one motorway while crossing the border.
    No permanant one but any amount of mobile patrols north and south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 king li

There is a Gardai red van that is normally parked at the old weigh bridge on the dundalk side of motor way just passed the carrickdale side. It normally just stops the public transport for illegal immigrants trying to pass the border. Cant see them stopping a private car unless they had a tip off or major watch going on the person or car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭gipi

Thinking on a tangent here....am I correct in reading that the person is flying back via Dublin airport? Will there be a difficulty with his visa documentation at Dublin, since he shouldn't be in Ireland in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

A buddy of mine lived in Newry for a while but commuted to Dublin on the bus. I was surprised when he told me he'd been stopped a few times on the border.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

No checking at all usually. Stay on the motorway.

If there is a major security alert you may be stopped. Highly unlikely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

As said highly unlikely.
    Nowadays an alert usually means a detour!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

gipi wrote: »
    Thinking on a tangent here....am I correct in reading that the person is flying back via Dublin airport? Will there be a difficulty with his visa documentation at Dublin, since he shouldn't be in Ireland in the first place?

I was thinking the same thing.

There used to be a Blue Fiat people carrier (Ulysses??) used by immigration as well, they would stop the buses around Dundalk South exit. Was told the Fiat has gone as it spent more time off the road.

Advertisement