Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pat Rabbite on Prime Time tonight

• 18-11-2010 11:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

He's losing it, going on a really long rant about FF. Worth turning on for amusement value alone.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Poor Carey is getting eaten right now on Prime Time. Pat Rabbitte had his appetizer before the programme, Carey is the main course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Taking lessons from Vincent Browne it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's not often anyone would see a rant like that on decent television*

*Vincent browne doesn't apply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,633 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I'm no big fan of Pat Rabitte, but he probably spoke for all with that outburst. It was a well put, passionate speech.

Jim Power has just stated that the country is in dire financial trouble.

Has anyone else heard this?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Di0genes

I'm sorry but Pat ****ing Carney is the best person the government get to go onto Primetime on the momentous day of the Irish economy is a minister of the ****ing Gaeltacht Affairs.

Even he had the decency of looking like rodney trotter, while gormlessly trying to defend this government.

Di0genes wrote: »
    I'm sorry but Pat ****ing Carney is the best person the government get to go onto Primetime on the momentous day of the Irish economy is a minister of the ****ing Gaeltacht Affairs.

Even he had the decency of looking like rodney trotter, while gormlessly trying to defend this government.

Yep, no doubt Ahern, Dempsey, Michael Martin (the ministers that have been in cabinet since 1997) were ill or busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Yep, no doubt Ahern, Dempsey, Michael Martin (the ministers that have been in cabinet since 1997) were busy.

Hopefully packing their bags?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Its a disgrace they sent the minister for Ceilis onto Prime Time tonight. It should have been Messrs Ahern, Lenihan and Cowen listening to that speech from Rabbitte. Not Pat Carey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

nesf wrote: »
    He's losing it, going on a really long rant about FF. Worth turning on for amusement value alone.

I don't think he was losing it. It looked to me like a rehearsed performance, pure populism.

His victim, Pat Carey, is one of the more decent people in the government, but is not cut out for that sort of brawling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

nesf wrote: »

Never voted labour. But pat was right. Ff have sold ireland to imf

Browney7 wrote: »
    Its a disgrace they sent the minister for Ceilis onto Prime Time tonight. It should have been Messrs Ahern, Lenihan and Cowen listening to that speech from Rabbitte. Not Pat Carey.

He only became a full minister earlier this year, so he wasn't there for the bank guarantee. I agree, why is he being shipped out to defend the government. Shafted by the likes of Ahern, Dempsey and Martin.

Tony Kileen was the government representative on Matt Cooper's programme today, the Defence Minister. Ridiculous.

Where's Harney in all of this? Does she only speak about health issues. No chance of her opposing the govenment I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Those two minutes, you'll be seeing them on Reeling In The Years down the road for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

I don't think he was losing it. It looked to me like a rehearsed performance, pure populism.

If that was acting the man deserves an Oscar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

loobylou wrote: »
    If that was acting the man deserves an Oscar!

Rabbite's an ex-stickie... they're experts at faking stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭molard

good on you pat.ff are living in a dream world.telling us untruths.blaming everyone. now they are saving the euro lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

His victim, Pat Carey, is one of the more decent people in the government, but is not cut out for that sort of brawling.

It didn't look rehearsed to me.
    It was, I believe, what most Irish people would love to say to the crowd that have run us into the ground.
    Whether more of the opposition should have been doing this all along is neither here nor there - it was like a tiny turn on a release valve.

And to be frank, whether Carey is a 'good guy' or not he is as responsible as the other guttersnipes in FF for the current state of ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Perhaps.

I also hope this card does not get overplayed, but the truth is that there is a straitjacket on the next government. And the truth is that the current one put it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

At last someone is expressing some genuine anger well done Pat Rabbitte.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Jim Power has just stated that the country is in dire financial trouble.

Has anyone else heard this?
    Nonsense. Everything is fine. Comical Lenny told me so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

I've never heard Pat Carey do anything other than slavishly trot out the FF party line.

We'll hear it a lot because it is true. Fianna Failure's gift to the Irish people. Oh yeah, that and a hundred billion or more added to the national debt. Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out, gombeen men.

Nonsense. Everything is fine. Comical Lenny told me so.

Thanks for reassuring me, for a moment there I was ready to downsize my oversized house.

Instead, I will go to my local dealer and order my '11 plate, to replace my '10 plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Rehearsed or not, it's so important that people are constantly reminded of how everything is Fianna Fail's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

I agree, IMO the opposition parties are acting shamefully right now. They are showing as little regard for the national interest as they allege they government parties have done. In their hunger for power they're losing sight of the bigger picture. If there ever was a time to not to be stoking public opinion, this has to be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

Voltwad wrote: »
    Rehearsed or not, it's so important that people are constantly reminded of how everything is Fianna Fail's fault.

Do you really think that that is the most important message for a scared and frightened populace right now? Extraordinary. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

Pat Rabbitte I commend you. I found myself clapping after his speech.

People of Ireland it is time to do something. Brian Cowen has been blatantly lying to us over the last few days with regards to the IMF and ECB. I wouldn't trust him to mind my dog let alone the country. I am tempted to march on Dail Eireann and not budge until Cowen and Co. tender their resignations.

As for the Greens, don't get me started. Do we not have a coalition government in power at the moment? Their silence has been remarkable.

Pat Rabbitte has summed up the mood of the people in those few minutes on Prime Time.

• Advertisement

NewHillel wrote: »
    I agree, IMO the opposition parties are acting shamefully right now. They are showing as little regard for the national interest as they allege they government parties have done. In their hunger for power they're losing sight of the bigger picture. If there ever was a time to not to be stoking public opinion, this has to be it.

Ah please, FF aren't being truthful with the figures, they have excluded the opposition from the IMF discussions, they have resisted any Opposition ideas. How can you possibly expect the opposition to give undiluted support to a government that engages in subterfuge.

National interest - give me a break.

Do you really think that that is the most important message for a scared and frightened populace right now? Extraordinary. :rolleyes:
    One of, if not the most important yes.

Would you like to explain exactly why it is important that the Irish people remain silent as they are herded like sheep into the dominion of the IMF, or whoever Fianna Failure can beg money from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The last few lines sum it all up

"Are you ashamed of what ye've done ?"
    "I'm not ashamed"
    "That's the problem - you ought to be ashamed"

Sums it all up perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

Yes, debate on the future of the Irish language is the big picture atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

mgmt wrote: »
    Yes, debate on the future of the Irish language is the big picture atm.

'Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam' now formally replaced by 'Tír gan airgead, tír gan anam'

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

I hate FF, despise them. But Pat Rabbites speech doesn't give me much hope. Sure what he said was true, the dogs on the street know that FF have fvcked the economy over the past decade, and have made it immensely worse by their handling of the crisis.

However, what was a far more important point for me was when Pat Rabbite was asked about what he would do? Whether we need the bailout? Would he reverse FF decisions? Does he agree with the need to cut by 6BN? He had no answers, or refused to give them. All he could say was "FF got us here...we need a new government....straightjacket...blah blah"

It really didn't inspire confidence in me that if we held an election in the morning that things would be any different.

I want an election, but I've come to the realisation that it is not going to make a blind bit of difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Utter populist muck. I despair when people in this country lap up these pathetic self indulgant rants. Don't let your hatred of FF cloud your judgement. Rabbite wanted to cut taxes and raise spending in the last election. Denial is not an attractive trait.

Read this and weep. HE WOULD HAVE DONE THE SAME FÚCKING THING. The problem is a broad political one, its not the fault of a few schemers in the Galway tent, its the fault of an entire nation intoxicated by greed and indulgance, of a political caste pandering to the worst instincts and most base stupidities of the average person. We've all got our stories. Our entire county was up in arms the last election about their bloody hospital - what happened? 3 FF deputies were returned. Thats right. You lot are the authors of your own destruction.

Now thats a passionate rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

yekahs wrote: »
    However, what was a far more important point for me was when Pat Rabbite was asked about what he would do? Whether we need the bailout? Would he reverse FF decisions? Does he agree with the need to cut by 6BN? He had no answers, or refused to give them. All he could say was "FF got us here...we need a new government....straightjacket...blah blah"
    How should he have answered?

"I'll do what the EU/ECB/IMF tell me to do."

Because there is no longer any debate, there is only one answer.

People are delusional if they think otherwise. All that is left is to finally, finally, to be angry.

I hate FF, despise them. But Pat Rabbites speech doesn't give me much hope. Sure what he said was true, the dogs on the street know that FF have fvcked the economy over the past decade, and have made it immensely worse by their handling of the crisis.

It really didn't inspire confidence in me that if we held an election in the morning that things would be any different.

I want an election, but I've come to the realisation that it is not going to make a blind bit of difference.
    An election might not make too much difference in the sense that even Labour may be forced to act right wing on economic matters to an extent. However, it has to be held ASAP so that Fianna Fail can rot in opposition for the foreseeable future, so that a public banking enquiry can be held, so that the same mistakes are never, ever made again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I think Mr Rabbitte was giving a straight-up response to a quite obviously lost-in-space FF lightweight.

It might be difficult to rehearse such lines unless Mr Carey had supplied his notes in advance ?

However Pat Rabbites vehemence does prompt me to ask whether it`s actually desireable to oust the Present Government during the current crisis.

I`m coming round to the belief that the cast of villians who engineered this collapse should now be forced to remain at the helm with a clear mandate to get us out of the friggin shytt.

The entire Cabinet`s salary and benefit`s package should be immediately cut by 30% with the proviso that this can be redeemed if and when quantifiable recovery targets are met.

Ejecting the FF/Green coalition right now will not do anything tangible except to cause further delay and confusion whilst a new crew learn their lines....sod that I say....Chain the present gang of wasters to their desks and lets see if they can take the same level of hairshirtery they recommend for the rest of us. :mad:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    The last few lines sum it all up

"Are you ashamed of what ye've done ?"
    "I'm not ashamed"
    "That's the problem - you ought to be ashamed"

Sums it all up perfectly.

This is entering the twilight zone now... cultish stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

More than anything else that's going on, the fact that people are STILL defending Fianna Fail, convinces me that the country is f***ed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Denerick wrote: »
    This is entering the twilight zone now... cultish stuff.

What does that mean ?

More than anything else that's going on, the fact that people are STILL defending Fianna Fail, convinces me that the country is f***ed.

This is exactly the problem. You cannot rationally criticise the pathetic populism of the Labour party, the revisionism of Fine Gael, without being a Fianna Failer. This attitude makes me utterly sick. I have never voted for FF, never will and never have. But I'm not stupid enough to delude myself that this is the fault of a tiny gang of thieves, plotting in a Machiavellian fashion like some tacky soap opera. Its just a dishonest line of reasoning. People forget the last election oh so quickly. I don't. I remember all those bástards lining up pandering to idiots telling them what they wanted to hear. In all parties. And the idiots lapped it up. FF just happened to be better at pandering to idiots than the others.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    What does that mean ?

Anything left wing must be dismissed, brainwashed or cultish are popular retorts. Easier than arguing facts.

20Cent wrote: »
    Anything left wing must be dismissed, brainwashed or cultish are popular retorts. Easier than arguing facts.

Find a new hobby horse mate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Voltwad wrote: »
    An election might not make too much difference in the sense that even Labour may be forced to act right wing on economic matters to an extent. However, it has to be held ASAP so that Fianna Fail can rot in opposition for the foreseeable future, so that a public banking enquiry can be held, so that the same mistakes are never, ever made again.

FF would be better off in the long run if they left in the morning. The worst is yet to come. So over the next 5 years people are going to associate FG/Lab with austerity, closing hospitals, firing teachers, nurses and civil servants, strikes, emigration, and generally this country becoming a much less desirable place to live.

In the meantime, FF will have the comfortable position of criticising from the sidelines, and lo and behold, they will be returned to power just as the economy begins to recover. Just like the last time.

The dogs on the street know it, but there is still a hardcore of about 20% who still support this organisation of corrupt morons. If a rant like that persuades a few of them that voting for you local Fianna Failure 'fixer' might get a pot-hole fixed in the short-term but will cost them their livelihoods in the long run, it's certainly worth the airtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

20Cent wrote: »

Left wing politics got us into this ****e.

His victim is a member of this government, full-stop.
    Denerick wrote: »
    Utter populist muck. I despair when people in this country lap up these pathetic self indulgant rants. Don't let your hatred of FF cloud your judgement. Rabbite wanted to cut taxes and raise spending in the last election. Denial is not an attractive trait.

Read this and weep. HE WOULD HAVE DONE THE SAME FÚCKING THING. The problem is a broad political one, its not the fault of a few schemers in the Galway tent, its the fault of an entire nation intoxicated by greed and indulgance, of a political caste pandering to the worst instincts and most base stupidities of the average person. We've all got our stories. Our entire county was up in arms the last election about their bloody hospital - what happened? 3 FF deputies were returned. Thats right. You lot are the authors of your own destruction.

Now thats a passionate rant.

What people 'would have done' is not fact, nor did it happen.

The FACT is that successive FF led coalitions have wrecked our economy, and done so at the expense of the less well off.

I agree with you about voter responsibility, things like this, and the media led nature of things nowadays, may bring about some change of attitudes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement