Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pat Rabbitte on Prime Time!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Yeah I understand that it's not in the interest of the bank to repossess a house but how can a bank lend you money to buy something, take the thing you bought away from you and still demand that you pay in full for it?

Because you have to pay back what you borrow. Very basically. If you borrow €300k for a house but the house is repossessed and the bank can only sell it for €200k then you still owe the balance of €100k.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Where was this two or five or ten years ago? It's long past due and fairly easy to stick the knife in now.
    I'd have more respect if they stood up and did it when it wouldn't be an easy task and might have prevented such a **** storm developing.

He's been arguing against FF for his whole career and has been consistently against NAMA and the bank bailout.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

20Cent wrote: »
    He's been arguing against FF for his whole career and has been consistently against NAMA and the bank bailout.

What was the policy at the last election to deflate the housing bubble?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

scrapsmac wrote: »
    I agree with what you say gpjordan but it was still great to hear! Bit of cheap show boating but even so everything he said was the truth! God knows what was going through Careys head when he was on the receiving end of that

Are you that brainwashed that you have to belittle what you know to be the truth?

Can I play with your forelock? Aah go on, give us a tug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

iguana wrote: »
    Because you have to pay back what you borrow. Very basically. If you borrow €300k for a house but the house is repossessed and the bank can only sell it for €200k then you still owe the balance of €100k.

That would make more sense but that's not exactly what was said. The impression I got was that they still owed the full amount regardless of what the bank did with the house. If not then carry on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

That would make more sense but that's not exactly what was said. The impression I got was that they still owed the full amount regardless of what the bank did with the house. If not then carry on

If the bank knows that they haven't a hope in hell of collecting it, they can only write it off in the end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I have just seen the programme thru the RTE Live website facility - and I have to say "Fair play to Pat".
    It looks like he just had enough of the verbal bullschite coming from the FF minister and he snapped - who could blame him!

Sadly, its that type of straight talking that is lacking to the present day.
    If only there was that much straight talking in the Dail - instead of the still waffling political bullschite still coming from many on all sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

You can be sure of a good dose of cynicism/suspicion for the mere sake of it on AH.

It was very badly phrased on Prime Time but what you owe after repossession is the balance and usually court costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Dudess wrote: »
    You can be sure of a good dose of cynicism/suspicion for the mere sake of it on AH.

You could also say we are easily impressed.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Did anyone actually fall for that piece of theatre? Rabbitte is very good at that Angry Man of Dublin South West shtick.

As opposed to the piece of feelgood theatre that made FF's landowning mates rich and sold the next generation into slavery? Mamma Mia.:rolleyes:

I've got to say that if Rabbitte was acting he should quit politics right now and get an agent. He'll have an Oscar in no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

thebaz wrote: »
    ....... does anyone know now that the IMF are in town , does that mean we are getting no free cheese for Christmas ?

All we're getting is a free ass fcuking, one for everybody in the audience!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭some_dose

While things are bad, they could be worse. Just be thankful we aren't Italian :eek:
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/05/02/weekinreview/02marsh.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

some_dose wrote: »
    While things are bad, they could be worse. Just be thankful we aren't Italian :eek:

They owe us forty-six bucks according to that chart, no wonder we need IMF help.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

some_dose wrote: »

Relative to the size of their economy and population, we're far worse off than Italy. Per capita debt figures might be more revealing. Italy has over 50m people, we have 4.5m!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

I was pissed off that Rabbitte wasted air time ****ing on like all politicians do blaming the other guy. What a load of ****e! None of em are any different. I want to hear solutions on Prime Time not look at finger pointing. **** Pat Rabbitte and his heroics. ****e!

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If the bank knows that they haven't a hope in hell of collecting it, they can only write it off in the end.

The banks don't want to foreclose on anyone. They won't even let people sell their houses and make good the difference. They need the loans to be serviced, regardless of the value of the property. If People start selling their houses and crystallise the loss, it will force banks into having to write down the value of their "assets", and I can assure you that none of the decision-makers on the left or the right want that to happen. You have to remember that the decision makers on both sides are over fifty years of age and rely on an inflationary model for their wealth.

I may be wrong but I can't see Brian Cowen, David Begg or Jack O'Connor being willing to meet me and argue the point.:)

AMC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

he sure got stuck in there lol about time someone did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Me Bollix

people have been falling over themselves to praise Eamonn Gilmore, despite going on the late late and saying his plan for Ireland's economy is "no cuts in anything, keep the Croke Park agreement, re-examine some stuff".

it's the most wishy-washy nonsense i've heard yet (and i've heard SF's economic plans!)

but he, like Pat Rabbitte, can do the faux-outrage soundbite very well, so the general population of ****wits in the country lap it up....

Well said couldnt believe Gilmores performance on the late late show, but lets see what our choices are.

Fianna Fail (do we have to say anymore)
    Fine Gael (have some good young bright people who tried to oust kenny and his old cronies) that proves there no different to FF, they had there chance to oust the county councillor mentality from there party and they blew it
    Labour have no policy and if the truth be known are no different to the above

We need a complete change in the political system and if that happens something good will come out of this mess, otherwise it will be same ol same ol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

The same pat rabbitte that was first out of the traps in 2007 with promises of tax ,cuts and more of the same economic management that Fianna Fail espoused.
    Wouldnt mess with Pat though, Black belt in Karate he is. Kung Fu Rabbit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Remind us again who signed the Croke Park Agreement and introduced benchmarking ?

Ah, so because FF were in bed with the unions too then its ok for us to let Labour away with it? The old "Shure their all at it so its grand" excuse, I see...Well where we are now is that the banks and developers have done the worst of their damage, the biggest threat to the Irish state now is the unions and I don't see how rushing behind the banner of the only party which kowtows more to them than FF could possibly end well for this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Ah, so because FF were in bed with the unions too then its ok for us to let Labour away with it? The old "Shure their all at it so its grand" excuse, I see...Well where we are now is that the banks and developers have done the worst of their damage, the biggest threat to the Irish state now is the unions and I don't see how rushing behind the banner of the only party which kowtows more to them than FF could possibly end well for this country.

'The biggest threat to Ireland now' isn't the Unions. You're probably reading the fake 'libertarians' in the Politcs forum too much.
    The biggest threat to Ireland is our insane level of soveriegn debt; a direct result of the blanket bank guarantee.
    That's why the state can't borrow money and why it must be dis-continued; and it will only get worse if we let ourselves be lumbered with the 'bail-out' from the EU/IMF.
    The unions need to be confronted and the public sector reformed/streamlined; but please stop parrotting this bull**** about the unions/public sector being the root of the problem
    If you genuinely believe that, you've no idea what you're talking about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

zenno wrote: »
    he sure got stuck in there lol about time someone did.

Cabinet Minister Pat Carey has said he is sorry that the economic situation that has developed has put the country in a very difficult position.

Mr Carey said the Government is prepared to accept the consequences of the decisions they have taken, and they "take full responsibility for whatever happens".

It comes as a delegation of International Monetary Fund, European Central Bank and European Commission officials get down to work on the details of a possible rescue fund for Ireland.

The Minister for Community Affairs has acknowledged he wishes the situation hadn't arisen:

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/carey-apologises-for-economic-crisis-482402.html#ixzz15ihJ5TID

Well Done Pat :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Rory Quinn got stuck into Pat Carey on Newstalk this morning so seems to be a concerted Labour effort at taking off the shackles and letting rip...

Pat Carey fought back more when they were not face to face and tried giving a little back.

Seems Pat Rabbitte may have been told to get stuck in...:p

Eh... Rory Quinn is Labour, isn't he... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ruairi Quinn is Labour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Where was this two or five or ten years ago? It's long past due and fairly easy to stick the knife in now.
    I'd have more respect if they stood up and did it when it wouldn't be an easy task and might have prevented such a **** storm developing.

True but lets not forget the opposition had little or no clout in the dail, this government has been propped up by these self interested and serving independents who equally should be ashamed of themselves.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Although I have no political affiliations I wouldn't have a lot of respect for the policies of the Labour Party, and I'm not sure they are offering (or can offer) any real solutions, but Pat perfectly articulated the anger I feel about what the government has done to this country.

Whilst we have arguably been failed by the ignorant negligence of our entire political class, FF are clearly the most accountable and if political accountability means anything FF deserve to be out of goverment until all of their current TDs are out of office and/or dead.

I find it utterly incomprehensible that this party are still in power after presiding over the destruction of the real economy which so many have worked so hard to build, and I don't know how any of them have the balls to turn up for "work" in the morning.

They are in power now as it was not apparent just what a disaster lay ahead in 2007. There were hints of course but FG and Labour were not promising any different to FF back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Pat Carrey-

445803-396px_dr._finklestein_large.jpg

Dr. Finkelstein from The Nightmare Before Christmas-

PatCareyChiefWhip.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Remind us again who signed the Croke Park Agreement and introduced benchmarking ?

and let's remind ourselves what left-wing, darling of the trade unions, potential senior government party wants to keep them?

skelliser wrote: »
    That wouldnt be a wise move for the FF PR machine but go ahead!!

btw the indo are reporting tomorrow that the IMF dudes want more cuts to PS pays and pensions.
    Looks like they have gone in with a meat cleaver!

maybe this time the outrage will actually be real, considering Labour, Rabbitte and Gilmore don't want any cuts to the public sector, or pensions/most other benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

To be honest I felt sorry for Pat Carey.

He had very little or nothing to do with the current mess we're in.
    He is minister for Community, Equality and Gaelteacht affairs in a Debate with the leader of the labour party and quite possibly the next leader of the country.

Thats like sending the leader of Andorra into talks with Obama or Cameron.

He was a lamb fed to the lions last night, whilst BIFFO Cowen,
    Fatty Harney and were at home with their feet up laughing at the good of it.

Last night I felt very uncomfortable watching it, and i felt for his wife and family and my heart went out to him.
    BIFFO knew there was going to be a backlash due to the bailout so he said out the lug to take the brunt.

Just goes to show that BIFFO and co are a bunch of f*cking spineless b*stards.

They are in power now as it was not apparent just what a disaster lay ahead in 2007. There were hints of course but FG and Labour were not promising any different to FF back then.

You must realise by now that what political parties say in opposition is completely different to what they would actually do in government.

This old "they would have done the same" is a much-trotted out feeble excuse.

whycliff wrote: »

He is minister for Community, Equality and Gaelteacht affairs in a Debate with the leader of the labour party and quite possibly the next leader of the country.

Last night I felt very uncomfortable watching it, and i felt for his wife and family and my heart went out to him.
    BIFFO knew there was going to be a backlash due to the bailout so he said out the lug to take the brunt.

Rabbitte isn't leader of Labour anymore, it's Eamonn Gilmore, the slightly-cuddlier, just as good for a soundbite, just as cosy with the unions, less gruff version of Rabbitte.

"meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

• Advertisement

You must realise by now that what political parties say in opposition is completely different to what they would actually do in government.

so Labour WILL cut the dole, and pensions, and other benefits, and scrap the Croke Park Agreement, and reduce public sector wage bill, despite Gilmore saying last week that he'd do none of that?

if I can get firm confirmation here that Gilmore is a liar, and not going to implement all these Labour policies, then I might actually vote for him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

I'm not politically minded and have a very basic grasp of Economics but have been watching quite a bit of the coverage of late to try and gain an understanding of the whole situation.

What I am seeing is one party in power who have absolutely messed up and have led our country into the abyss. It's very hard to see FF recovering from this position and the reputational damage surely has to be permanent to the party.

What I am also seeing however is the opposition parties engaging in a game of political point-scoring. Pat Rabbitte's performance last night struck me as being just another example of this. What spoke volumes to me last night was Rabbitte more or less stating that Labour would be powerless to do anything to rectify the situation if they were put into power as FF had balls it up so much. Seems to be so much noise and point-scoring and very little original thought.

I've always been cautious by nature and have been lucky not to get caught up in this rush to burden ourselves with debt. Over the years, I have had several conversations with friends about how easily available credit was and how many people had availed of this, be it by releasing equity in their home or getting a loan from elsewhere. None of us would be from an economic background so didn't have a clue exactly what would happen when the inevitable recession did hit but it appears that this eventuality never occurred to anyone in the political domain. For me, the likes of Rabbitte's tirade has come far too late.

Bottom line is that I have absolutely no faith in any of the political parties out there. It appears that a major overhaul of the system is required to replace the parties and people that have become far too comfortable and complacent in their surroundings. A visionary is needed but god knows where they are - perhaps too busy playing xBox 360 and voting for Mary whats-her-name on xFactor!

Are you suggesting we can't take a politican at his/her word? the shame!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Poor poor poor Pat! lets all gather round and comfort him!
    There there pat, dont worry, never mind that bully Rabbitte!!

btw this is the same Pat Carey that has been a Fianna Fail TD since 97, and voted with them on ever issue since then, including NAMA. He was also chief whip which means he had to rally the backbenchers to vote accordingly.
    He is as culpable as the rest of fianna fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

If you want to see the record of labour in gov.
    check out the 94-97 rainbow coalition.

introduction of free fee
    surplus deficit
    economic growth
    rising employment

In Ruairi Quinn we had the best minister for finance in a generation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

so Labour WILL cut the dole, and pensions, and other benefits, and scrap the Croke Park Agreement, and reduce public sector wage bill, despite Gilmore saying last week that he'd do none of that?

if I can get firm confirmation here that Gilmore is a liar, and not going to implement all these Labour policies, then I might actually vote for him...

Since the ECB/IMF are in town, I'm pretty sure that every party will be obliged to reconsider their programme for Government - or, more accurately, do as they are told.

I, for one, do not welcome our new overlords...........

Noreen

Are you suggesting we can't take a politican at his/her word? the shame!

I thought that it was common knowledge that all politicians, of whatever political persuasion, lied through their teeth:eek:

We've got no hope if not everyone knows this.

I'm being sarcastic of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭optogirl

It's true that they send these gombeens to the gallows instead of facing the nation themselves but I've no respect for anyone who is a member of FF. You can continue to be in politics without subscribing to that particular brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

I actually found Pat Rabitte's rant on tv last night embarrassing. He lost the rag completely and started spouting page 3 style abuse, like some drunk in a pub. Not the behaviour I would expect from a future minister. It nice to think that my taxes are funding the likes of that publicity stunt last night. :rolleyes:

After watching that debacle last night, I actually believe that Labour have the ability to self destruct over the next year or so and end up in opposition again after the next election.

Looking at the policital parties nowadys, none of them fill me with any confidence. Personally, I would like to see a complete change in the political structure where we select the best candidates from each party per role.

I'm being sarcastic of course.

I was just making sure, as I'm always concerned for people's welfare.:P

Yes it was. Take a look at thepropertypin from back before the election in 07. People just refused to listen to anything negative. My husband used to beg me to tone down the "Cassandra" act whenever we were going to be back in Ireland.

Fatty Harney and were at home with their feet up laughing at the good of it................................................................................................................BIFFO knew there was going to be a backlash due to the bailout so he said out the lug to take the brunt.

It's an awful lot like De Valera not participating in the treaty talks with the British in 1921. He knew we couldn't get what he wanted and made up a bull**** excuse not to attend so he could blame Collins and the others.

Nothing's changed:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

skelliser wrote: »
    If you want to see the record of labour in gov.
    check out the 94-97 rainbow coalition.

introduction of free fee
    surplus deficit
    economic growth
    rising employment

In Ruairi Quinn we had the best minister for finance in a generation.

Truth, we have iron clad experience of the benefits of having Labour in power and people still refuse to believe the party could do good for the country.

• Advertisement
Advertisement