Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My new eircom next gen 8mb broadband of which i get 4mb

• 18-11-2010 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi folks can anyone help me out here i was on a 3mb connection with eircom and then they upgraded the lines so i could then have up to 8 so i thought hell ya so i ordered and am receiving 4 to 4 and a half at best. i was getting the 3 already.

Can anyone tell me if there is problems with my router or line or something. Here is some info from my router if its of any use. I noticed the max allowed speed is 4096kbps can anyone tell me what thats all about?

Line State Up Modulation DMT Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 4096 384 SN Margin (dB) 4.50 26.00 Line Attenuation (dB) 47.50 25.50 CRC Errors 0 1

Comments

Your downstream SNR margin is dangerously low, does your connection drop at all? Should be 10dB at least. You could try disconnecting any other devices like phones, modems, Sky boxes etc, and see if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 nickeym1

Karsini wrote: »
    Your downstream SNR margin is dangerously low, does your connection drop at all? Should be 10dB at least. You could try disconnecting any other devices like phones, modems, Sky boxes etc, and see if that helps.
    Hi the connection does drop a few times in a day but just for a minute. I only have one phone in the house but there is there is three places where phones can be plugged in would that make any difference?

nickeym1 wrote: »
    Hi the connection does drop a few times in a day but just for a minute. I only have one phone in the house but there is there is three places where phones can be plugged in would that make any difference?

Yes, if any of the extension sockets are wired incorrectly they can generate noise on the line. Try disconnecting the sockets you don't need.

Yes, if any of the extension sockets are wired incorrectly they can generate noise on the line. Try disconnecting the sockets you don't need.
    Sorry mate im not much of a techie how would i disconnect the ones i dont need cos i really only need the on my phoneline in plugged into

If you're not sure you might want to get someone who does. Most likely the extension sockets are branching off the main socket, they'd have to be disconnected there.

• Advertisement

If you're not sure you might want to get someone who does. Most likely the extension sockets are branching off the main socket, they'd have to be disconnected there.
    MMM cant say i know anyone who would know either easy there any easy way to do i dont mind getting my hands dirty :) and looking at the max of 4096 kbps does that mean that eircom are limiting me to 4mb or am i totally wrong

Most likely, they probably tested the line and decided 4Mb was the limit. You couldn't get any higher than that with such a low SNR margin anyway. If you did manage to improve it you'd probably have to contact them to get the line retested.

Most likely, they probably tested the line and decided 4Mb was the limit. You couldn't get any higher than that with such a low SNR margin anyway. If you did manage to improve it you'd probably have to contact them to get the line retested.
    Seems very unfair considering im paying for 8 (upto i know) but half thats just terrible. if i was even getting 5 i wouldnt mind. So if i get the unused jacks disconnected what are the chances of getting a better result?

just checked router again my sn downstream is upto 9 now

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

SNR fluctuates with each time the stats page is refreshed. I would pay attention to the fact that there are occasional disconnects, which have to be caused by the Signal margin dropping below 0.

This must be happening even if the signal margin can be as high as 9dB during other parts of the day. So having properly wired internal wiring will definitely do no harm and will probably improve the situation. There's lots of threads dealing with internal wiring, a search is probably the best bet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

As advised your SNR is very very low and you'll need to sort this as this is likely the cause of your disconnection issues, if you can improve your SNR you "may" be able to get the line profile changed to increase your speed. But remember ideally you want SNR around 9db.

In relation to the 4MB speed on a 8MB line, its all sold as upto 8MB...the very fact your getting 4MB is more then many other people can get.

Unless you move closer to the exchange or eircom somehow change the laws of physics there's not alot you can do about actually getting 8MB on the botton :)

ok guys the jack i had my phone and bb plugged into was one that i had installed when i moved into this house. I unplugged everything and hooked them back up to the jack in a different room and i got higher sn margins what does this mean
    SN Margin (dB) 13.50 28.00 Line Attenuation (dB) 47.50 25.50 CRC Errors 0 1

Cabaal wrote: »
    As advised your SNR is very very low and you'll need to sort this as this is likely the cause of your disconnection issues, if you can improve your SNR you "may" be able to get the line profile changed to increase your speed. But remember ideally you want SNR around 9db.

In relation to the 4MB speed on a 8MB line, its all sold as upto 8MB...the very fact your getting 4MB is more then many other people can get.

Unless you move closer to the exchange or eircom somehow change the laws of physics there's not alot you can do about actually getting 8MB on the botton :)

sn seems to be staying between 14 an 15 while connected to this jack what does this mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

sn seems to be staying between 14 an 15 while connected to this jack what does this mean?

It means your connection will be stable at 4 Mb and will most likely be able to take a higher speed now.

It means your connection will be stable at 4 Mb and will most likely be able to take a higher speed now.
    Cheers mate so what exactly do i say to eircom when i ring them? I dont want them to fob me off and insist i will only get 4mb when i am quite capable of achieving higher speeds

Cheers mate so what exactly do i say to eircom when i ring them? I dont want them to fob me off and insist i will only get 4mb when i am quite capable of achieving higher speeds

Just call tech support on 1890260260 and ask them to bump you up. It won't be an issue.

Just call tech support on 1890260260 and ask them to bump you up. It won't be an issue.
    Just called tech support he said they cant increase the maximum speed even by 1mb because it would cause problems and cause my connection to keep disconnecting where do i go from here? He said have an electrician to have a look at the lines and see if there is any problems and if there is i can ring back.
    Would an electrician know about these things even.

Ha just called them again and spoke to a different guy and he bumped it up to 6 and i am getting 5 and a half now he said to monitor it for the day and if its steady he told me to ring back tomorrow and he will bump it up to 7 heres my stats now
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 6144 512 SN Margin (dB) 5.00 22.00 Line Attenuation (dB) 47.50 25.50 CRC Errors 11 1I know the sn is very low but the connection seems stable

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Personally I'd test it for more then 24hours on the new profile to ensure its stable, there's no point getting 7MB if your line is going to keep dropping. tbh the snr is too low for a 7MB profile.

• Advertisement

Your SN is only 5dB. You will have issues with disconnects. 5Mb Is most likely your max

cheers fellas ill see how it goes for the next 24 hours fingers crossed. No drops so far anyway

Advertisement