Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike restriction

• 18-11-2010 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a garage that will do a good deal restricting a cbr600/gsxr600 or similar, havn't bought my bike yet but need to know how much the restrictoin will be to budget for the bike.

if i were to leave my bike with them for a week or more so it could be done in spare time, i cant stomach €300 for a few washers and a bit labor, even a garage that will inspect and certify the bike is restricted if i diy it. best i have found is City spares at €250 but there has to be some garages out there trying to pull in a bit of work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

If you can get it done at €250, you are doing well.

Average price for fitting a restrictor is €350.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

If the bike is FI you might pick up a cheap 33BHP ECU on eBay or a bike owners forum. Honda / Suzuki / whoever should then be able to certify it based on the unit serial number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I think the price if for the FI International kit and paper work not labour, all the kits are £172.99. €250 is a good price, cost me £200 to get it fitted in the UK.

Still a rip off as all I had for a restrictor was 50mm piece of metal with 2 holes on the throttle cable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

if buying new, I believe suzuki were doing free restrictors with new bikes at some point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

have a chat with chopper from another bike site - doing second hand restricters with cert

http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?p=2097674#post2097674

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

Thanks for asking, but I do not have aqn opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

weeder wrote: »
    wouldnt give chopper the steam off me piss since i asked him for a price to restrict a bike i didnt own yet and he told me to **** off wasting his time.

dont believe a word of that,there are otther best mechanic around and cheap, there must be more to the story than what you are saying lad.

there was a guy who was the first official fi international stockist and supplier in the country and the cheapest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

jambofc wrote: »
    dont believe a word of that,there are other mechanic around, there must be more to the story than what you are saying lad.

there was a guy who was the first official fi international stockist and supplier in the country and the cheapest.

You do know that he's not a mechanic ??

KTRIC wrote: »

lol

he knows more about motorcycles than any mechanic in this country

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Insurance companies will not give you a discount unless it's a factory fitted one

• Advertisement

KTRIC wrote: »

Someone ban the ex-mod for troublemaking.

Doom wrote: »
    Insurance companies will not give you a discount unless it's a factory fitted one

not 100% on that

but they will insure you with a fi kit and cert.

Doom is correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Kiddeh

Only place i know that does it cheaper is a lad down in cavan who does it for €240 for the kit and cert and once you get your papers its an easy job taken em out.... just drive safe and don't get into trouble and you won't have any trouble as long as you carry the cert around in your bike jacket (which u should have on always)... anyway are u really gonna drag the bike to cavan for a tenner savings??? stick with €250 in my opinion

Kiddeh wrote: »
    Only place i know that does it cheaper is a lad down in cavan who does it for €240 for the kit and cert and once you get your papers its an easy job taken em out.... just drive safe and don't get into trouble and you won't have any trouble as long as you carry the cert around in your bike jacket (which u should have on always)... anyway are u really gonna drag the bike to cavan for a tenner savings??? stick with €250 in my opinion

bad advice to a learner,if the guard suspects it's not restricted he can take it away and test it,if found out your insurance is void as is your license=fine and possible ban.

same price 240

http://www.poleonmotorcycles.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Kiddeh

jambofc wrote: »
    bad advice to a learner,if the guard suspects it's not restricted he can take it away and test it,if found out your insurance is void as is your license=fine and possible ban.

Suppose thats a possibility... i'd understand them checking if your on board a hayabusa but really its only a CBR 600... and i've never heard of Gardai checking a bike... just checking the cert which if you don't have on you will ask you to bring it to your local station within 24 hours.

Bottom line is its a risk you take... as i said drive safely and for goodness sake don't crash (i know its not always the bike riders fault and other things can cause it) but Jambo is right if the insurance company decides to check post crash if your bike is restricted and it isn't your in trouble... especially if you get injured which at the end of the day is the most likely event

Kiddeh wrote: »
    Suppose thats a possibility... i'd understand them checking if your on board a hayabusa but really its only a CBR 600... and i've never heard of Gardai checking a bike... just checking the cert which if you don't have on you will ask you to bring it to your local station within 24 hours.

Bottom line is its a risk you take... as i said drive safely and for goodness sake don't crash (i know its not always the bike riders fault and other things can cause it) but Jambo is right if the insurance company decides to check post crash if your bike is restricted and it isn't your in trouble... especially if you get injured which at the end of the day is the most likely event

2 lads in the last month had bike taken off them and checked(dont ask how they check them but) guard i no say's he will stop a bike and test drive it if bike has no prob's pulling threw the revs in all gear's he becomes suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Closed pending review when I get back from holiday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement