Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

safe assign and plaigirism

Options
  • 18-11-2010 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Hi, i just wondering can anyone answer a quick question, a friend of mine has submitted an assignment via safe assign and their percentage is coming up as 34 percent, what does this mean, thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Its fine, references come up as percentage, so will the essay title if anyone else has submitted before them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Once you're friend has referenced what he used and that, he should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

thanks for the replies, that's good to hear, as she was quite worried about it

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

phew!!! i am the friend!!!
    absolute panic stations here.. didnt realise until today that you could even check the %.... i didnt plag at all, so almost died when i seen 34%
    thanks all!

mumtoe&e wrote: »
    phew!!! i am the friend!!!
    absolute panic stations here.. didnt realise until today that you could even check the %.... i didnt plag at all, so almost died when i seen 34%
    thanks all!

When you seen it, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    When you seen it, eh?

Huh?? Is it my grammar that's bothering u?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Have a look here:

http://wiki.safeassign.com/display/SAFE/Interpret+Reports

It gives tutors and students a guide to how to interpret the percentages and recommendation as to what to do if the percentages are above a certain level:

[QUOTE=SafeAssignWiki: Added by erin.knight , last edited by erin.knight on 05 Jul 2007 04:29 PM
    Labels parameters
    ]Matching Scores
    Sentence matching scores are the percentage probability that two sentences have the same meaning.

This number can also be interpreted as the reciprocal to the probability that these two sentences are similar by chance. For example, a score of 90 percent means that there is a 90 percent probability that these two sentences are the same and a 10 percent probability that they are similar by chance and not because the submitted paper includes content from the existing source (whether or not it is appropriately attributed).

Overall score is an indicator of what percentage of the submitted paper matches existing sources. This score is a warning indicator only and papers should be reviewed to see if the matches are properly attributed.

•Scores below 15 percent: These papers typical include some quotes and few common phrases or blocks of text that match other documents. These papers typically do not require further analysis, as there is no evidence of the possibility of plagiarism in these papers.

•Scores between 15 percent and 40 percent: These papers include extensive quoted or paraphrased material or they may include plagiarism. These papers should be reviewed to determine if the matching content is properly attributed.

•Scores over 40 percent: There is a very high probability that text in this paper was copied from other sources. These papers include quoted or paraphrased text in excess and should be reviewed for plagiarism.
    [/QUOTE]

Advertisement