Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor gurantee question/advice

Options
  • 18-11-2010 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

Bascially have a phone from meteor its a nokia bought last xmas the phone hasn't worked properly for about 3 months . I sent it back to meteor shop and they sen it off to be fixed three times and now they still have it but are saying there is something wrong with the battery and as the battery is out of warantee they wont fix it without payment ..

My question
    1) they tried to fixed it already and now there sayin its out warantee ( only 6mth warantee for accesories) How could they fix it 3 weeks beforehand and now all of a sudden its out of warantee ( phone 6mths)

2) Hows is a battery an accesory, the phone wont function without it so isn't it a feature of the the phone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Your phone and battery have the same 12-24 month warranty. usually with Nokia, it's 12 months for repairs and/or eventual replacement, 24 months for free repairs.

Chargers/ headsets/ USB Cables etc are accessories, a battery certainly isn't.

After 3 repairs, within a 12 month period your phone is entitled to be replaced if it has not been repaired and remains faulty. Ask to see the engineers report that states that the battery is faulty, because I've never seen that in my time in mobile phone retail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xkariex

brianblaze wrote: »
    Your phone and battery have the same 12-24 month warranty. usually with Nokia, it's 12 months for repairs and/or eventual replacement, 24 months for free repairs.

Chargers/ headsets/ USB Cables etc are accessories, a battery certainly isn't.

After 3 repairs, within a 12 month period your phone is entitled to be replaced if it has not been repaired and remains faulty. Ask to see the engineers report that states that the battery is faulty, because I've never seen that in my time in mobile phone retail.

Thank you very much. They rang them in front of me in the shop and that what the said to me.

Sorry another question should i just ring meteor or nokia myself? Or to go into the shop .

I wouldn't bother with contacting Nokia, because Meteor will only go by their policies... What model of phone is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ken033

I sent my phone in with a well documented screen problem 3 weeks ago ,I went back in when I had heard nothing after 3 weeks to be told 'there is cosmetic damage around where the charger is pluged in and they wont repair the screen problem unless I pay €170 to get the supposed cosmetic damage repaired ,its a disgrace ,I am waiting to get the phone back to document and take photos of the supposed cosmetic damge that will cost €170 ,I wil be reporting it to comreg and the consumer association ,its like saying if you scratch your car your warranty is gone its crazy they think they can get away with anything.

I've seen this a few times, but sadly your warranty is voided after any cosmetic damage to a handset. A few scratches are fine, but if there's any significant amount of damage that wouldn't just be wear and tear, an engineer won't touch it.

Stupid I know, but one of the many stupid things about mobile phones and their warranties sadly.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't bother with contacting Nokia, because Meteor will only go by their policies... What model of phone is it?

Ok thanks.

Its a nokia 6700

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ken033

there is no damage ,maybe a small bit of scratching to the plastic ,there is no way this can be legal to say that with a few scratches they wont fix a device that is not working

xkariex wrote: »
    Ok thanks.

Its a nokia 6700

I've checked the Nokia site there for you:
    Warranty Period

The warranty period starts at the time of Product's original purchase by the first end-user. The Product may consist of several different parts and different parts may be covered by a different warranty period (hereinafter "Warranty Period"). The different Warranty Periods are:

Twenty-four (24) months for the mobile device and twelve (12) months for accessories (whether included in the mobile device sales package or sold separately) other than the consumable parts and accessories listed in (b) and (c) below;
    six (6) months for the following consumable parts and accessories batteries, chargers, desk stands, headsets, cables and covers; and
    ninety (90) days for the media on which any software is provided, e.g. CD-rom, memory card.

I've never heard of that before, but that's coming from the Nokia site! I've sent off thousands (literally possibly) of phones for repair and never come across that issue. If it's the battery that is the issue, then maybe just buy a new one?

http://www.foneshop.ie/nokia/6700-classic/batteries/fonix-6700-classic-battery

€14.50 for a non genuine Nokia one, but you might find a cheaper one online!

ken033 wrote: »
    there is no damage ,maybe a small bit of scratching to the plastic ,there is no way this can be legal to say that with a few scratches they wont fix a device that is not working

They'll send the phone back with detailing of the damaged areas, so check those out, and if you think it's unreasonable, ask the store manager to assess the phone as well. Whenever that's happened in a store I've worked in, generally the engineers are fairly spot on. They get paid by the manufacturers to repair the phones, so it's not in their financial interest to not repair one.

I've checked the Nokia site there for you:

I've never heard of that before, but that's coming from the Nokia site! I've sent off thousands (literally possibly) of phones for repair and never come across that issue. If it's the battery that is the issue, then maybe just buy a new one?

http://www.foneshop.ie/nokia/6700-classic/batteries/fonix-6700-classic-battery

€14.50 for a non genuine Nokia one, but you might find a cheaper one online!

Really sure just mad like aphone cant operate without it ah shur thanks a million :) in there saying 35e themselve (ha wat a joke) .

• Advertisement

Online is the only place I'd buy a battery. 2 years ago it was €60 for a battery for a phone in our store! Same battery was €20 online!

Online is the only place I'd buy a battery. 2 years ago it was €60 for a battery for a phone in our store! Same battery was €20 online!

Omg that madness isn't! Ah sure like everything just another rip off ! I shall buy online for definite :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Fisher Calhoun

Give the National Consumer Agency a call (1890 432 432 or (01) 402 5555). Ask them about whether a six month warranty on the battery is considered to be a "reasonable lifetime". Just because it's out of warranty doesn't mean you aren't entitled to a form of redress (i.e. repair, replacement or refund).

I went through this two years ago with Meteor and a Sony Ericsson phone that developed a fault (buttons not working). It was sent for repair and a refurbished phone was sent back to me. This one had the buttons working, but the speaker didn't work (you had to put the phone on loudspeaker to hear anything!). I went back to them and this was sent back for repairs. That same phone was sent back again (after a big delay - maybe 3 weeks?) and the engineer's report showed the speaker was replaced. When I tested the phone it still had the faulty speaker. The phone was still within the 12 month warranty when the fault developed but the whole process took so long that it went out of warranty when the last phone arrived back.

At that stage, I asked for a replacement phone and they told me it had to be sent away three times before they could do that (it had been sent twice at this stage). I didn't accept this and contacted the National Consumer Agency via the details below. They informed me that I had grounds to request a replacement or refund. I decided to pursue refund as I was sick of Meteor's bull!

The store manager and area manager weren't budging despite me quoting the consumer law and all the jazz. So, I sent a formal letter to the store and to the head office detailing everything - I had copies of the receipts, repair dockets, etc. Within 24 hours, the head office had contacted the area manager to ask them what the feck they were doing and to authorise the refund. I got my refund of the cost of the device.

I was fully prepared to take it to the Small Claims Court, tbh. Sending the letter (sent registered post, btw, so I had proof it was sent) was my last step before filing the complaint with them. If you're having issues with Meteor, write the formal letter and send it to the store and to the head office with photocopies (i.e. not originals) of everything. If you don't get a satisfactory answer there, go to the SCC. At very least, look at the information below.

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Guides-to-Consumer-Law/Phones-Broadband-TV/mobile-handsets.html
    Faulty phones
    If the product is faulty you are entitled to a repair, replacement or a refund. If the shop offers to repair a faulty phone, the repair should be permanent. If they say the phone isn't repairable, you are entitled to a replacement or a refund.
    If you are willing to let the shop repair the phone, you should confirm this in writing - but add the condition that if there are any other problems with the phone you reserve your right to reject it and claim a replacement or a full refund.
    You should bring this statement to the attention of the seller and keep a copy of it in case you need to rely on it later should you take the matter to the Small Claims Court.

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/FAQs/Faulty-goods/
    Q11. I have a faulty good but my guarantee is out of date by one month. Is there anything I can do?

A guarantee/warranty is a bonus and cannot affect or diminish your statutory rights with the seller. A guarantee/warranty is a written statement given by a manufacturer or a company indicating they will repair or replace a product within a specified time after it was purchased. You may decide to claim under a guarantee during its period of validity, but cannot be obliged to do so.
    Therefore you may, if the reasonable lifetime of a given product exceeds the time period of any warranty, pursue the seller in respect of your statutory rights - 'The Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980'. If the trader refuses to offer redress for the faulty goods and you have exhausted all other options you may wish to pursue the matter with the Small Claims Court.
    A guarantee may be useful to a third party, however, as it extends to anyone possessing the goods during the guarantee period. This contrasts with the statutory rights of a purchaser, which extend only to the original purchaser of a good and not to any subsequent recipient or owner of that product. This distinction in important to note in respect of ite

Give the National Consumer Agency a call (1890 432 432 or (01) 402 5555). Ask them about whether a six month warranty on the battery is considered to be a "reasonable lifetime". Just because it's out of warranty doesn't mean you aren't entitled to a form of redress (i.e. repair, replacement or refund).

I went through this two years ago with Meteor and a Sony Ericsson phone that developed a fault (buttons not working). It was sent for repair and a refurbished phone was sent back to me. This one had the buttons working, but the speaker didn't work (you had to put the phone on loudspeaker to hear anything!). I went back to them and this was sent back for repairs. That same phone was sent back again (after a big delay - maybe 3 weeks?) and the engineer's report showed the speaker was replaced. When I tested the phone it still had the faulty speaker. The phone was still within the 12 month warranty when the fault developed but the whole process took so long that it went out of warranty when the last phone arrived back.

At that stage, I asked for a replacement phone and they told me it had to be sent away three times before they could do that (it had been sent twice at this stage). I didn't accept this and contacted the National Consumer Agency via the details below. They informed me that I had grounds to request a replacement or refund. I decided to pursue refund as I was sick of Meteor's bull!

The store manager and area manager weren't budging despite me quoting the consumer law and all the jazz. So, I sent a formal letter to the store and to the head office detailing everything - I had copies of the receipts, repair dockets, etc. Within 24 hours, the head office had contacted the area manager to ask them what the feck they were doing and to authorise the refund. I got my refund of the cost of the device.

I was fully prepared to take it to the Small Claims Court, tbh. Sending the letter (sent registered post, btw, so I had proof it was sent) was my last step before filing the complaint with them. If you're having issues with Meteor, write the formal letter and send it to the store and to the head office with photocopies (i.e. not originals) of everything. If you don't get a satisfactory answer there, go to the SCC. At very least, look at the information below.

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Guides-to-Consumer-Law/Phones-Broadband-TV/mobile-handsets.html

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/FAQs/Faulty-goods/

I'll give them a ring tmrw thank you so much, didn't realise any of that at all :)

Meteor seem like a joke tbh ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Fisher Calhoun

They really do... I swore I'd leave them after that incident, but they were the cheapest for my needs and finance won out in the end. I'll be going to a smartphone soon and looking at Three as an alternative. They've a bit of a grey area when it comes to Customer Service, but at least they're taking a more proactive approach with the forum here... we'll see!

Good luck with your case! I'm sure Meteor will try and fob you off, but if you write the formal letter (and send it registered post), they'll likely back down and do something for you.

Advertisement