Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ps3 needs fixing

• 18-11-2010 11:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭

Right this seemed to be the best place to post this

My cosin just ext me and said that his son put 4 discs into his ps3 ( Fat model )

he got them out but now it wont read discs.

Is there a fix for this? getting a new disc drive?

any help is apreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Four games at once? Looks like you'll need a new bluray drive you would need to open up the ps3 to verify which laser it needs and buy the drive accordingly, could be a jam in the eject mechanism does the slot still feed in games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

justryan wrote: »
    Four games at once? Looks like you'll need a new bluray drive you would need to open up the ps3 to verify which laser it needs and buy the drive accordingly, could be a jam in the eject mechanism does the slot still feed in games?

I thought the drive system can be identifed by observing if the disc spins when loading into the PS3, or if it's simply accepted without spinning on the way in?

How the hell did he get four discs into it at once :eek: If your very very lucky, the timing system may be just knocked out of sync. I remember replacing a lser in a PS3 before & resetting the timing of the loading mechanism too (plastic wheels & cogs etc).

A more solid test would be to look at the serial number on the laser/carriage system I think it varies with each model 20gb,60gb etc..

The plastic white arms and cogs are a pain to reset, OP see if the drive takes in a disc at all

A more solid test would be to look at the serial number on the laser/carriage system I think it varies with each model 20gb,60gb etc..

The plastic white arms and cogs are a pain to reset, OP see if the drive takes in a disc at all

Afaik there's only two types of laser unit. One with the combined diode, and the one with independant diodes (one for cd/dvd, & one for bd). The spin test is fairly conclusive to identify without opening.

The cogs are indeed a pain to reset, if the console isn't taking in a disc then you might need to reset their timing. If it's accepting discs normally & not playing them, then perhaps the laser aperature has been damaged, or god knows what else - 4 discs at ones could do untold amounts of pain :)

There are three types of laser kes 400 aaa(common in older models), kes 410 aca and kes 450 aaa for every laser there is a specific carriage or deck Kem 400 aaa, kem 410 aca and kem 450 aaa. Your correct in that if the disc doesn't spin it's down to a faulty laser(you won't get a blue light on the power up panel either) but you can't just take a kes 400 aaa laser and put it in the kem 450 aaa deck they need to match

• Advertisement

There are three types of laser kes 400 aaa(common in older models), kes 410 aca and kes 450 aaa for every laser there is a specific carriage or deck Kem 400 aaa, kem 410 aca and kem 450 aaa. Your correct in that if the disc doesn't spin it's down to a faulty laser(you won't get a blue light on the power up panel either) but you can't just take a kes 400 aaa laser and put it in the kem 450 aaa deck they need to match

Well I was implying that once the laser is identified, that the OP replace the whole deck. I never said anything about mix-matching parts.

It's ok to be humble now and again EnterNow :D

It's ok to be humble now and again EnterNow :D

I'm the most humble person you could meet, and always willing to learn :) TV is my mentor here actually :D As they say, Only a fool knows everything ;)

Advertisement