Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please

Options
  • 18-11-2010 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi,

I was just hoping to get a small bit of advice. I wish to buy a shotgun, mainly for to use at clay shooting.

I have around 600-700 to spend, would a new gun or a better make 2nd hand one be more advisable?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭rugerman

6-700 would get u a new or a gud second hand one if its clays only u mite get a new one if u can say what part of country ur at lads here can put u on to some gundealers around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

you could get a new remy 870 if you like pumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

juice1304 wrote: »
    you could get a new remy 870 if you like pumps.

Not at all suitable for clays.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

For about €1,000 you would a great selection of both new and second hand shotguns. Two big questions would be how much have you to spend and which do you prefer, over/under or semi-auto? If its clays with some game shooting i would suggest an Over/Under. Bettinsoli are a good, reliable and decent shotgun.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwhtN0FPBfNrZ4c_z7br5lk0nigQ1YTJHs1-mdKEt4RFsYCIA&t=1&usg=__7x5Y3VXfHGaFBqUfq7gmQfQoMDk=

Owned by Beretta they have the pedigree without the larger price tag. The Diamond line comes in around €1,000, but as with all shotguns you can get them for €800 up to €1,400. There is quite a good market for second hand shotguns at the moment also. With Beretta, Browning and other makes of a "higher" quality shotgun going for up to €1,400 max. Best advice is to look around. A good shotgun will pick you rather than vice versa so do not let the brand draw you to a gun. Fit is all important regardless of name. Shotguns such as Baikal ..........

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQoAWMcUrgHjQGUosS1WM6_6zpkkYeBlU_JwTZ3-GmI7GWBmLI&t=1&usg=__TB0aKruIWR0ZgyWv6dE07eXmWr8=

..............are popular with some while others would not touch them, and at around €500 - €700 new the price really cannot be beaten. If its semi-auot you are looking for my own preference is the Beretta AL 391, standard model, €1,000.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVcVmW_NfjufGNe5GTeGeELpXteM1ZtY3-7ADhOBYlrLKGrPs&t=1&usg=__3XTdHzuhyWp_cw4vA9YAH6z5x4Q=

Ya gotta love copy and paste ............ :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭MarkD.

Was in the same boat myself a month ago, best thing is go to a few local gun dealers, see what they have. Pick up different types, side by side, over and under, pump action and semi auto. See what you like, then see what one in your chosen category you think feels the best to you. Then check the price tag, but dont jump ship and buy it. Shop around is the key, you wouldnt go into a shop and buy a pair of shoes without trying them on would you or check different places for prices? same for the guns. Im no where near an experienced gun person by no means but just said id give you info in my opinion.

Mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Pudzianowski

Thanks for that lads,

I live outside Portlaoise, i know there a gun dealer on main street, and i think there's a guy out the timahoe road.

Thanks again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Donal is sound. He has a good selection of guns, gear and equipment, but here are a few dealers all within an hour of Portlaoise. Some better than others, but good spots none the less.

Sean Harding, Stakelums in Thurles. - 050428690
    Jim McBride, Ballykeeran (i think), Athlone. - 0906473099
    Gerry Scully, Athlone town. - 0906492486
    Griffin & Hawe, Green Lane, Athy, Kildare. - 059-8631221
    Jim giffin, Rahan, Tullamore. - 0579355979
    Atlantic Sports, Carlow town. - 0599179984
    Tallaght Rod & GunUnit 2, Castletymon Shopping Centre, Tallaght - 01 4526522
    Connolly's Red Mills, Red Mills, Goresbridge, Kilkenny - 059 9775800
    Lakelands Shooting Centre, Tullamore Road, Mullingar - 0449 223127
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Pudzianowski

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭chickenfarmer

Thanks for that lads,
    and i think there's a guy out the timahoe road.

Thanks again.

you are correct, Thats John Conroy. Has a decent enough selection and the right man to talk to about a gun for clays.

Advertisement