Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dumb question re RTE2 broadcasting HD now / test channel.

Options
  • 18-11-2010 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

Hi,

I realise there's probably a very simple answer to a dumb question but thought I'd ask it anyway. From what I've read RTE are waiting for a new play-out [I think] system before they can broadcast HD content. I'm not sure if this is just for live events or pre-recorded material or both.

What are they using to broadcast the HD channel content right now? Could this not be used?

Again this isn't meant to be an incendiary question :-) Just curious.... actual programming in HD if possible would be a lot more exciting that the test reel, even if I have watched that a few times too many :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I did it in the past with a pre-generated file and €2,200 PCI card in a high end PC. It's likely something no use for actual live feed selection. Notice it's a loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

Thing is it's a loop of HD video that starts and stops [as, arguably is any HD broadcast bar a live feed]. So why not feed it [for example] Desperate Housewives at 10pm on a Tuesday.... or whatever US show that they'd have access to in HD and revert back to their loop whenever they're not scheduled to show anything that might be available in HD. Even just one or two shows a week just to give us a look at something during the testing phase.

Still in testing phase so they could hardly be criticised too much if there was the odd issue.

[I'm presuming here that if RTE have the rights to CSI or Desperate Housewives or whatever that they also have rights to the HD versions of same - which may not be right - I dunno]

Again, just curious. Probably taking a much too simplistic view of this but then again...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Then how to they switch to the next program? How do they feed the DH or CSI to Analogue, Sky and UPC at same time?

This is why ahead of full HD production (who knows when) they have purchased a "Playout" system that handles HD. Hopefully will be in use in next few months.

During initial test phase, forget UPC, Sky etc. Don't both charge a premium for HD anyway... more thinking turn something on to reward early adapters etc.

As regards switching to next programme, they'd probably not have that much HD content initially anyway and I'm only suggesting they put on a handfull of programmes per week to give punters a look.

But - I accept what you're saying - I guess it's not straightforward, I was just trying to gauge how difficult or otherwise it'd be. Probably they don't *want* to do this until they're ready to go properly anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

If they had RTÉ TWO left as is for now, and made the HD test a complete simulcast showing HD when available, that would be a start, then eventually, shut down the SD feed leaving just the HD feed remaining.

Sky's a different problem though. Sky will hardly let them launch RTÉ TWO HD in place of RTÉ TWO SD. Unless they launch it as a seperate channel and then swap EPG positions. What about those watching on Sky in SD though, are they now going to be missing RTÉ TWO completely? New customers get a HD box as standard, but there's a lot of people in the UK and Ireland who still have the standard digibox or a Sky+ box that can't decode HD.

• Advertisement

Besides, I'm more thinking of the DTT platform as free to air in the first instance.

Sky / UPC etc are premium services. I think analogue is here till 2012 so there will be a standard SD feed till ASO anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Paddy C wrote: »
    If they had RTÉ TWO left as is for now, and made the HD test a complete simulcast showing HD when available, that would be a start, then eventually, shut down the SD feed leaving just the HD feed remaining.

Sky's a different problem though. Sky will hardly let them launch RTÉ TWO HD in place of RTÉ TWO SD. Unless they launch it as a seperate channel and then swap EPG positions. What about those watching on Sky in SD though, are they now going to be missing RTÉ TWO completely? New customers get a HD box as standard, but there's a lot of people in the UK and Ireland who still have the standard digibox or a Sky+ box that can't decode HD.

No point in a simulcast channel, almost all MPEG-4 equipment will display RTÉ 2 HD either as 1080i HD/up-converted HD or downscaled to SD via scart - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69043256#post69043256. A simulcast channel would be waste of space and no available capacity on the launched Mux1 in any case (we complain about +1 channels, two channels with exactly the same programming isn't going to happen).
    To avoid the requirement to simulcast services (i.e. in HD and SD) and to optimise bandwith usage as services migrate to HD, the Irish / SAORVIEW minimum receiver specification for Set Top Boxes (STBs) requires that the STB is capable of outputting all television services, whether they are broadcast in HD or SD, via a SCART connector.

RTÉ 2 HD will be available to Sky/UPC after the testing is complete (2011, ASO 2012?) according to RTÉ.
    RTÉ has also indicated that, after an initial period of testing, they will make these services available to other pay digital television network providers in accordance with Section 77 of the Broadcasting Act 2009 which deals with ‘must carry’ and ‘must offer’ obligations.

Advertisement