Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Withdrawn from college and confused about entitlements

• 18-11-2010 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm 20 years old and just withdrawn from college. I've never had any experience with State Benefits before so I'm VERY confused by what I am entitled to >_<

Basically, I started college in UCD in 2008 and withdrew in March this year. I started in Trinity in September this year and am withdrawing again. Both times, I've had to withdraw for medical reasons - I suffer from severe depression, a complex eating disorder and self destructive behaviour: self harm, alcohol abuse etc. My mental health problems have been ongoing since I was 13 but have increased in severity in the last 2 years, hence the dropping out of college. I simply can't do it right now - I find it difficult to attend, I have little or no ability to concentrate and get social anxiety frequently.

I would like to perhaps work part time but I'm not sure if I'm fit for it and I know finding a job could prove difficult. I live in Dublin and my parents pay my rent and provide me with money each month. They do not wish to continue these payments since I'm no longer in full time education. I want to still live in Dublin because I feel that moving home with my parents (Sligo) will only worsen my condition (it has done in the past).

So, can anyone help me out? What would I be entitled to? Disability allowance? Job seeker's allowance? What about help with rent or a medical card? I'm on a high dose of anti depressants and have to see psychiatrists and counsellers on a frequent basis.

Any advice appreciated, I just feel overwhelmed by information and at a loss as to where to start!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

It all depends whether you are available for full time work or not. As you said in your post you feel you may only be able for part time work, Jobseekers Allowance claim would be disallowed.
    So you could apply for Disability Allowance. If you are doing this get the form filled out (you can print it on www.welfare.ie), and bring the form to your Community Welfare Officer. Explain your situation to them, have them send off your Disability Allowance form. Apply for Supplementary Welfare Allowance with them to help you while you are waiting on a decision for Disability Allowance - think these are taking up to 9-12 weeks from another thread on here recently.
    You can apply for Rent Allowance and Medical Card through the Community Welfare Officer also.
    If you need someone to go through your entitlements to call into your local Citizens Information Centre.
    Just ask if you have any more questions or if I didn't make the above clear.
    Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Thanks so much, that's great a great help :)

Just a thought - I'm in the process of sorting out my withdrawal atm but I'm being advised to apply for a deferal incase I want to return to my course next September (very unlikely - I strongly dislike the course anyway).

Would being "off books" in Trinity instead of fully withdrawn affect my entitlements?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Hotaru wrote: »
    Thanks so much, that's great a great help :)

Just a thought - I'm in the process of sorting out my withdrawal atm but I'm being advised to apply for a deferal incase I want to return to my course next September (very unlikely - I strongly dislike the course anyway).

Would being "off books" in Trinity instead of fully withdrawn affect my entitlements?

Get to the nearest Social Welfare office, they'll be able to answer more specifically. If your parents are working and you're living with them it would probably affect your payment as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Nope, I'm living away from my parents, which is where I'd preferably like to stay >_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Hotaru wrote: »
    Nope, I'm living away from my parents, which is where I'd preferably like to stay >_>

When I went to sign on after dropping out of college I was told I couldn't until 3 months after I dropped out, same happened to a mate but others didn't have to wait the 3 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

If a person is getting Disability Allowance, they can undertake further educational opportunities without affecting their social welfare entitlements

If a person is eighteen or over and is in receipt of Disability Allowance for three months or more and attending a full-time second level course at a recognised school or college or is in receipt of Disability Allowance for twelve months or more and attending a full-time third level course at a recognised school or college, they can avail of the Back to Education Allowance Scheme.

However, I don't know if currently being enrolled as a student will affect your claim. Would the college be willing to write a letter to explain your circumstances? Just have them state that you had to withdraw for medical reasons, for administrative purposes they have deferred your place for a year just in case you were fit to return.
    You definitely won't have to wait 3 months after leaving college to apply for Disability Allowance.

These are the rules for qualifying for Disability Allowance:
    To qualify for Disability Allowance (DA) you must:

* Have an injury, disease or physical or mental disability that has continued or may be expected to continue for at least one year
    * As a result of this disability be substantially restricted in undertaking work that would otherwise be suitable for a person of your age, experience and qualifications
    * Be aged between 16 and 66.
    You also need your doctor to fill out the medical report on the form, and meet with the Department's Medical assessor to be assessed.
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/IllnessDisabilityAndCaring/PeoplewithDisabilities/DisabilityAllowance/Pages/da.aspx has some good information on the scheme.

Advertisement