Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Take That are unstoppable

Options
  • 18-11-2010 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

This is getting insane.

I am actually convinced now that Take That are going to become more successful than U2.
    Their new album Progress has already went platinum and it became the best selling record of the century after only a day of release.
    And if that's not enough, they are playing 7 dates at Wembley Stadium next year:eek:. I mean come on 7 dates to 90,000 fans each time, that's just epic!!!!!!

Anyways can't wait for Croker 18/06/11:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

That's great! Doesn't make them any good whatsoever though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

That's great! Doesn't make them any good whatsoever though.

Gary Barlow is, some great melodies and a very good songwriter not just for Take That.

Considering how he was treated back in the late 90's you have to fully respect and give the bloke some credit for turning things around, you might not like the music but thats down to personal taste like all music.

I'll agree that there are far more offensive Boybands out there, Westlife being the main offender.

I was just pointing out that the OP seems to think that the more housewives and teenyboppers buy your CD because it's drilled into their heads 24/7 on radio and television, the better band you are. It does not mean they're going to be bigger than a band like U2. They are not in the same Universe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Define "bigger".

I must admit that song on the Stardust movie was damn good. Still have no interest in them though, especially now that the fat dancer has returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

The new album is fantastic. Really different to their previous releases. Gary Barlow only does lead vocals on a couple of songs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Define "bigger".

I must admit that song on the Stardust movie was damn good. Still have no interest in them though, especially now that the fat dancer has returned.

Actually they're better than ever now that Robbie Williams is back. He is the most gifted pop star over the last 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

i dont usually listen to pop band ****e but i have a soft spot for take that some of their pop tunes are mega and they are the biggest pop band ever. i much rather them to west****e who cant even write their own tunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Take That never cracked the states as far as I'm aware, so straight away, U2 are bigger....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

As we all know, they write all their own songs....... blah blah blah ........ talented wordsmiths............. not still manufactured/a boyband etc.

this is obviously just coincidence

They are a marketing tool more than anything. Lets see, reform after several years = novelty record sales. Add Robbie Williams to the equation = more novelty record sales.

U2 became the biggest band in the world because of their music, Westlife, Take That etc aren't about music, they are about appearing on X Factor to appeal to that demographic, a demographic that could care less about music and more about popularity contests.

• Advertisement

They are a marketing tool more than anything. Lets see, reform after several years = novelty record sales. Add Robbie Williams to the equation = more novelty record sales.

U2 became the biggest band in the world because of their music, Westlife, Take That etc aren't about music, they are about appearing on X Factor to appeal to that demographic, a demographic that could care less about music and more about popularity contests.

I certainly wouldn't consider myself in that demographic, I disagree with the OP point. But I would also disagree with you,imo Barlow has written some fantastic pop songs, as said you might not like the music, doesn't mean you dismiss him.

Also putting them in the same grouping as Westlife is unfair, though I can fully understand why you would do so, take note female Take That fans.

By the way they have started to attract a completely different type of fan since the comeback and having listened to snippets of the new album, it is very very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

I'm confused. Who plays base? Who plays the drums? Who plays lead guitar?

Is this a band or a bunch of very popular singers?

NOT very rock n roll.........but hey, if people like them, let them like them. To compare them to a proper band is frankly insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

karaokeman wrote: »
    Actually they're better than ever now that Robbie Williams is back. He is the most gifted pop star over the last 20 years.

What gifts would those be? Being able to mime? Being able to arse about while other people write songs for him?

At least Gary Barlow can play piano

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    I'm confused. Who plays base? Who plays the drums? Who plays lead guitar?

Is this a band or a bunch of very popular singers?

NOT very rock n roll.........but hey, if people like them, let them like them. To compare them to a proper band is frankly insane.

Gary Barlow plays piano, he writes his songs at the piano, if they were given songs and told to sing them, then yes fair enough have a go, I would be also.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Gary Barlow plays piano, he writes his songs at the piano, if they were given songs and told to sing them, then yes fair enough have a go, I would be also.

ok, you got me on my second point, they're more than singers, they're (some of them anyway) talented song-writers.

Not a band though. Never a band. So they're a what? A Group? Like The Monkees?

Comparisons to U2 or anyone who actually MAKE music remain insane.

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    ok, you got me on my second point, they're more than singers, they're (some of them anyway) talented song-writers.

Not a band though. Never a band. So they're a what? A Group? Like The Monkees?

Comparisons to U2 or anyone who actually MAKE music remain insane.

I half agree with you :) by the way I'm not a Take That fan, I'm a Gary Barlow fan ;)

re making music depends what you mean by that, if you write the melody, the lyrics, play the piano on the tracks and are involved in the production, is that not making music?

I'm not comparing them to anyone else, I find that all pretty pointless to be honest. Now imo Gary is finally starting to get the credit he has long deserved, the way he was treated back in 99/00 was terrible, he had to leave the UK and move to the US in order to carry on writing and thankfully for him Sony/BMG gave him a writing contract out there, it is difficult when you are put into that boyband category to be taken seriously, and I can understand that, when you have screaming girls who are quicker to comment on how someone looks rather than the actual song is very annoying.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I half agree with you :) by the way I'm not a Take That fan, I'm a Gary Barlow fan ;)

re making music depends what you mean by that, if you write the melody, the lyrics, play the piano on the tracks and are involved in the production, is that not making music?

I'm not comparing them to anyone else, I find that all pretty pointless to be honest. Now imo Gary is finally starting to get the credit he has long deserved, the way he was treated back in 99/00 was terrible, he had to leave the UK and move to the US in order to carry on writing and thankfully for him Sony/BMG gave him a writing contract out there, it is difficult when you are put into that boyband category to be taken seriously, and I can understand that, when you have screaming girls who are quicker to comment on how someone looks rather than the actual song is very annoying.

I have pretty hard criterea for being a songwriter/band leader:
    You need to have been left to fend for yourself by your family at 17, slept penniless above a hairdressers, then a surf shop, get discovered as the new Dylan, refuse to be the new Dylan, be 'rock n roll future' then disappear for legal reasons for 3 years before releasing the greatest album of all time, write 70 songs for each album before choosing 10......3 hour shows at 61-y-o performed with mostly the SAME guys who you played with at 17 help too.

Yes - I'm a Bruce Springsteen fan....:D

No pressure there then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Not bigger than U2 (not yet anyway), but their new album is excellent, and they don't deserve half the flak they get.

BTW band or group is semantics.

They're all very capable musicians, whether they play instruments live or not is irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭donna.s

Not a take that fan but I give credit to Gary barlow for actually writing the songs!

Advertisement