Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thanksgiving Day in Galway?

Options
  • 19-11-2010 12:05am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

Right, so I have a friend here studying for a semister and she's goind to be away from home for the first time ever on Thanks giving day, so far she has no plans, most of her friends in the university are european erasmus students or irish and she has no plans for next thursday because of this, I was wondering, do any of you know of somewhere that does thanks giving dinner in the city?

I'm thinking turky, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, the works?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

An American student who doesn't exclusively hang around with other Americans?

Shenanigans.

Turkey dinner in McSwiggans maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

The Americans in Galway folks on facebook are doing something too I think. Go to americansingalway.org

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Take her to Coyotes, it's an authentic American bar!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Take her to Coyotes, it's an authentic American bar!

:rolleyes:

Ha ha, yeah. About as much as those 'ye olde shamroc (sic)' places in Texas etc are authentic Irish pubs! Lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

inisboffin wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Ha ha, yeah. About as much as those 'ye olde shamroc (sic)' places in Texas etc are authentic Irish pubs! Lol!
    Tabby shore, tabby shore...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Contact "Americans In Galway"
    www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/19270
    www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/9564
    They're probably having a dinner somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Usually have Turkey, Ham, Stuffing, Carrots, Peas, Mash potato, roast potato, cranberry sauce, gravy

I'm Thankful for being born American and pretty much getting two Christmas dinners growing up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

you're a chef, cook it yourself :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Xiney wrote: »
    you're a chef, cook it yourself :P

I don't want it to be just the two of us in my house having dinner, it wouldn't convey the right idea. Basically I don't want it to be a date, I just don't want her being all lonesome and homesick.

Might be by last resort though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

I was in Scotties steakhouse last night and they were advertising an American menu for Thanksgiving night. Stuff I'd never seen/eaten before, pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie etc and other traditional Thanksgiving/American stuff. Might be worth your while ringing them maybe or dropping in. The menu is posted just inside the main door so you don't need to even enter the main restaurant part to check it out.

Scotty himself is a yank (always reminds me of Michael Douglas when I hear him talking) so the quality of the American menu should be genuine and good quality cooking on the night itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 zealano

Thurs 25th:THANKSGIVING TURKEY DINNERS,
    It's a charity event with money going towards the Galway Diocesan Youth Services. The Cottage Bar, Lower Salthill. Limited numbers of tickets for €10 (you can donate more) available at The Cottage.

I was in Scotties steakhouse last night and they were advertising an American menu for Thanksgiving night. Stuff I'd never seen/eaten before, pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie etc and other traditional Thanksgiving/American stuff. Might be worth your while ringing them maybe or dropping in. The menu is posted just inside the main door so you don't need to even enter the main restaurant part to check it out.

Scotty himself is a yank (always reminds me of Michael Douglas when I hear him talking) so the quality of the American menu should be genuine and good quality cooking on the night itself.

Sounds perfect!
    cheers Fozzie.

Just phoned them, €20 for students, all you can eat, includes a glass of wine, thats fantastic value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Seaneh wrote: »
    Sounds perfect!
    cheers Fozzie.

Just phoned them, €20 for students, all you can eat, includes a glass of wine, thats fantastic value.

Good stuff, happy to help. Hope you have a great night with your friend.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Sorry to piggy back but could someone tell me more about this?

I wouldn't mind giving it a look but was wondering how much it is for non-students before I call them? Am at work now so will call later, just if anyone know off hand.

Thanks

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Sorry to piggy back but could someone tell me more about this?

I wouldn't mind giving it a look but was wondering how much it is for non-students before I call them? Am at work now so will call later, just if anyone know off hand.

Thanks

€20 for students, €25 for non students, all you can eat, includes a glass of wine.

Advertisement