Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Alcoholic Sherry Trifle ??

Options
  • 19-11-2010 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Good evening

Is it possible to heat sherry before using it in a trifle...to burn-off the alcohol ?. I want the flavour...but others can't touch alcohol. Trying to avoid two trifles !!.

Many thanks,
    K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,424 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Heat it up until it is almost boiling, keep it close to 100deg for a few minutes, make sure its well stirred and all parts are evenly heated.
    Should remove alcohol (evaps at 87 i thnk)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Mellor wrote: »
    Heat it up until it is almost boiling, keep it close to 100deg for a few minutes, make sure its well stirred and all parts are evenly heated.
    Should remove alcohol (evaps at 87 i thnk)

Nearly right. The boiling point of alcohol is 78 C.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

You won't remove all the alcohol this way, an alcohol-water solution (in this case sherry) is an azeotrope. You'll get it down to 4% alcohol but you won't go lower than that.

To be blunt, if you're cooking for a recovering alcoholic or someone with a serious alcohol intolerance just don't serve them sherry trifle.

Advertisement