Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name three books that you have read in the last 5 years that made you cry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Marley and Me
    Water for Elephants- made me think of my grandparents and definitely got a bit teary.
    Harry Potter, 6th book (name escapes me right now)
    I'm going to have to check out the Book Thief and see if it lives up to the hype :D

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Grievous

The Book Thief is only 5 euros in Tescos.
    Take that recession, Cowen!

The Book Thief also has some smaller stories within the story with some simple, effective illustrations to boot.

It sure lived up to the hype for me. I don't usually read modern books that are hyped so far: With the exception being Life Of Pi and The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night Time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sycea

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro had me weeping at several points.

Like a lot of people, I found The Road to be very upsetting - its one of my absolute favourites and I still cry at the same point each time I read it.

The only other book I remember getting choked up over was The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman at the moment when
    Bod asks Death if he can go with her, so he can be with the ghosts properly, and she tells him no, not yet.
    A really stunning book, that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Grievous wrote: »
    Probably not cry, but I'll echo the emotional sentiments like other posters who have read The Book Thief.
    Fantastic read.
    I really didnt think much of The Book Thief. I started it expecting it to be great because of all I'd heard, but actually found it a bit boring. Definitely not tear-inducing.

Having a hard time thinking of any recent books that did reduce me to tears ...apart from that scene in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I actually thought that The Book Thief was guilty of the 'emotional string pulling' thing that Electro-Bitch touched on. For that reason I couldn't warm to it.

One that caught me by surprise was Watership Down. There was a story in it about how their rabbit God got his tail and ears. I have no idea but it nearly had me in tears. Which was on the train, and very embarassing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

The last book in the His Dark Materials series

I didn't just cry at this...i sobbed, loudly!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

The Book Thief
    Marley and Me :o
    Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
    (when Dumbledore dies)
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
    (When Hedwig died)
    :o

I know that's more than 3, but i'm a rulebreaker me! I'm not much of a crier in books or movies, but an animal dying is sure to set me off.

Books that had a real emotional impact on me without making me cry (ie in a total funk for about 2 days afterwards):

The Road
    We Need to Talk About Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Only cried at 2 books ever that I recall - One Day & The Time Traveller's Wife.

I read a good few books that people have mentioned here: The Book Thief, My Sister's Keeper etc. but while I thought they were sad, I didn't cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Probably the best example of emotional string pulling, but Love Story makes me bawl my eyes out every time I read it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I'm a man. Ergo, I do not cry. But regardless, some books have forced this heart of stone to crack, but for a moment:

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde - The man shouldn't have to hide his painting in his closet... Get it... *nudgenudge*

Turn of the Screw by Henry James - creeped me out big time.

To Kill a Mockingbird - no explanation necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

A crack in forever by Jeanne Brewster had me in pieces...
    The time Travellers wife did it too as did the Lovely Bones and a Boy called it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 point7

The Time Traveler's Wife also
    HP & the half blood prince
    A Thousand Splendid Suns... I can't rem exactly if it made me physically cry but I was certainly left feeling emotionally wrung from it. Amazing tale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

A Thousand Splendid Suns.

I'm a 32 year old guy, but cried my eyes out reading the last few chapters in Starbucks in Kuala Lumpur airport.

Really got to me. But felt compelled to keep reading it even though I was openly crying in public.

Gave it to my friends today as a present. Unbelievable book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 flavaflave

"Tuesdays with Morrie" - absolutely beautiful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

If I Stay by Gayle Forman- had me in absolute floods of tears :(

Before I Die by Jenny Downham

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The line "Well, I'm Back" allways brings floods of tears to my eyes in LotR

The end of the boy in the striped Pajamas

can't remember any others

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Tuesdays with Morrie had me pretty teary-eyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

Another crier here at Tuesday's with Morrie.

The Time Traveller's Wife.

The Lovely Bones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 crummymummy

Hi all, my first post here!

''The Kite Runner'', ''Room'' and ''When Rabbit Howls'' all had me teary eyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Books rarely make me cry so can onky come up with one! Room

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Atonement = sweet jesus my bloodshot eyes!

Harry Potter 7 where
    Lupin and Tonks are described lying dead together

The Little Friend by Donna Tartt - epic read!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 maggiebee

Can only think of two, even though I know I have definitely shed tears over more than this!

The Last Lecture - Randy Pausch

One Day - Davis Nicholls

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭jackie1974

Martha Longs series beginning with 'ma he sold me for a few cigarettes' and will be crying through the fourth one in a couple of days.

Room by Emma O'Donaghue, just finished it and will never forget it, Wow.

A boy called it by Dave Pelzer and cried even more when I read his brother Richards story, not that I felt for him more but because I judged him as a brat in Dave's books and then realised he was just a manipulated child in his own story.

I could go on, i'm a crier but you only asked for three :)

Ok my favourite childhood tear jerker - To kill a mockingbird.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

jackie1974 wrote: »

A boy called it by Dave Pelzer

Dear God, that was a brutal book to read. How he remained sane I'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Books that have made me cry.

I prefer to say books that have given me a lump in my throat and have made my eyes brimful but it probably amounts to the same thing.

Before I die by Jenny Downham

The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbary

Any Human Heart by William Boyd

The Visible World by Mark Slouka

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

sudzs wrote: »
    Books rarely make me cry so can onky come up with one! Room
    I finished Room this evening and Im still a bit teary-eyed after it, its a unique literary experience, everyone should read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 notabother

Several stick out.... One that always gets me is Heidi- probably because I was very close to my own grandmother.

Another would be 1984.

Time travellers wife
    Ma he sold me for a few cigarettes
    The last book of lord of the rings has a few emotional parts too.
    The last book of the hunger games.
    The 5 people you meet in heaven- same author as Tuesdays with morrie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Finished "One Day" and "We Need To Talk About Kevin" since...

Oh dear:(

• Registered Users Posts: 35 clashextra

Hi all, first post on here. I normally stick to the cycling thread and boy does that make me cry at times.
    You would think that as you get older you'd avoid books of the deeply emotional variety but it's the opposite with me. I love being evicerated emotionally by a book and having a good sob, although only in private.
    Recent books? I can only think of 'What I Loved' by Siri Hustvedt, a wonderful book. Read it and weep? yes you will but like all great books, it is about much more than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Oh, just thought of two that definitely made me cry as a kid:

Little Women
    The Diary of Anne Frank (does non-fiction count?)

Advertisement